Best store bought ice cream?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
^ Fair enough, sense of humor to text is all in how you word it, fewer words may not go as well.
Whatever. I make my own.

I actually always wanted to take some vanilla ice cream, let it melt then cut up a crap ton of Snicker bars, peanut M&M's..etc and mix into it, then refreeze...bet that would taste awesome

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
^ Fair enough, sense of humor to text is all in how you word it, fewer words may not go as well.
Read it again though. Fewer words is what makes it hilarious (imho).

Btw I have no clue what ice cream I prefer. I know next to nothing about ice cream. I do know how to identify horrid quality ice cream, though (has to do with super high fat content, right? - also takes forever to melt).

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I used to like Breyers because it doesn't taste like the saturated crap Dreyers make. But now I only buy Ben & Jerry or Häagen-Dazs, whichever's on sale.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
ice cream is for losers, i have a bag of pre mix cookie dough from sams club and i just wet it and eat it out of a plastic cup with chocolate chips

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I actually always wanted to take some vanilla ice cream, let it melt then cut up a crap ton of Snicker bars, peanut M&M's..etc and mix into it, then refreeze...bet that would taste awesome

Then you'll have a block of ice with candy in it.

Make home made ice cream, and add the candy near the end when it's almost completely done but still just soft enough that it can be stirred. Then put it in the freezer to set.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Oh god, are you one of those "I found a brand that I like, and therefore will not try anything else because I'm so smart there can't be any other possibilities" people?

I like to try other ice creams people suggest to see what's out there. Graeters has always been the best. Friendly's is also good, but they're nearly non-existent anymore. We have a local brand called Toft's which is really good if you want to cheap out.

The most exotic ice cream would probably be Jeni's, but at $10 a pint, it's definitely a special occasion treat. However, the Whiskey & Pecans is about the 4th best thing I've ever put in my mouth:

whiskeyandpecanspint__43353.1317857426.460.504.jpg

ok i have to make that. i dont buy ice cream much anymore, id eat too much of it. i do have an ice cream maker but just generally make it for events where...other people will eat most of it.

cornflake cookies + bourbon and vanilla ice cream = win.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Guys, how would you rank the quality of the McDonald's McFlurry (or McDonald's ice cream in general), on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being top-notch?

EDIT: You're not allowed to use negatives numbers. :p

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Guys, how would you rank the quality of the McDonald's McFlurry (or McDonald's ice cream in general), on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being top-notch?

EDIT: You're not allowed to use negatives numbers. :p

Discounting what I know about it from working there for so long, I'd say 5. If I count what I know about it? Let's go with... not 5.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Kroger's house brand is excellent. Kirkland Private Reserve I think is the name.

Yes! In fact, Kroger's Chocolate Ganache has been reviewed as one of the best chocolate ice creams available.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I picked up some coconut-based faux (vegan) ice cream because of this thread. I didn't even realize my ssupermarket had Graeter's, which sucks because now I can't try it. Kinda wanted to see if it's better than the other ice cream brands.

EDIT: Drats, I picked up the wrong one, got So Delicious chocolate, which is soy based. Not too bad, though.

Just returned from my mission and I failed. Target and local grocery store didn't have HD Strawberry but they did have HD Strawberry Sorbet.

Oh well, saved myself an assload of calories and regret.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I just got a tub of Dreyer's strawberry. It's okay, only 5g of fat per 1/2 cup. FAIL...

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Just returned from my mission and I failed. Target and local grocery store didn't have HD Strawberry but they did have HD Strawberry Sorbet.

Oh well, saved myself an assload of calories and regret.

I picked up TJ's coffee ice cream and had a cup. I still prefer their chocolate but coffee wasn't bad. US has great ice cream in containers but really subpar ice cream bars and popsicles. Korea and Japan ice cream bars and popsicles put US brands to shame.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Not really store bought---pretty limited distribution :( Looks really good though. I love companies that have passion about their products.

Yeah, they are expanding though. I am starting to see it more grocers around here, so hopefully they will get a little further out at some point. Delicious stuff.

KT

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
This thread makes me want some ice cream.

Although I gagged a little at the talk of vegan "ice cream." If it isn't from dairy it is isn't ice cream. If you want ice cream stop being a vegan.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
We were at Safeway today doing some shopping and I thought of this thread.

They didn't have HD Strawberry ice cream either (only Strawberry sorbet), so I left with B & J peach cobbler, I hope it's good.