Best spray lube to cut through stuck rusty parts? UPDATE

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Your motor sounds like a mess. How much do you plan on overboring the thing once you get the pistons out?

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Aerokroil FTW.

Try pouring some strong-ass solvent in there to destroy the sludge- and your piston rings in the process. Xylene should work, get it at paint stores.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Ramma2
Get a peice of wood and a mallet and just hamemr that sucker out of there!

Well the crank is still in there but I have put a jack on the rod and pushed it up until it starts lifting the whole car.

Yikes, that's scary. Sounds like the engine is going to need a complete rebuild, that's just not normal.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TitanDiddly
Aerokroil FTW.

Try pouring some strong-ass solvent in there to destroy the sludge- and your piston rings in the process. Xylene should work, get it at paint stores.
uh, xyxlene will not eat metal.. lol

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003
Originally posted by: RayH
Originally posted by: 0
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
WD-40 has it's place. It's misapplication is wide spread and I find it highly over rated.
It's VG for wiping tooling for storage. That's all I use it for.

Kroil is OK but stinky, penitrates the skin easily and does not work as well as Nuts Off.
Kroil probably works well on clean machined surfaces but not corrosion. *shrugs*

I have Kroil here but rarely use it. I have worked in the oil patch and diesel salt water marine
and nothing works as well as Nuts Off.

OP, you must get your own Nuts Off ;) http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/50691005/phel9_6a.htm
It's made by Spray Products Corp., Norristown, Pa. 19404. Bar code: 51661 75516
Part# on my 11oz can: 075-516
I provide the above so you can find it locally. :)

24 hours after being applied, corrosion melts...Period!
I had a boss that restored vintage deep sea fishing reels in his quiet field office. One day
I heard him cursing stuck unobtainium screws. I gave him an employer provided can of
Nuts Off. The next day he drove out into the field to thank me with a cold Arizona ice tea.
The stuff works!

...Galvanized

Where does one get this stuff? I did a search and came up with nada.

Can be ordered direct from KanoLabs. I thought it smelled better than other stuff, not that I would use it indoors.

I'm talking about Nuts Off. Wasn't where you said it was.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
UPDATE

Well I got the 4th piston out. The center 2 and 3 are moving but will not come out and number 1 has not moved a inch.
I have been using PB blaster. Now that I have piston 4 out it seems to be sludge that is holding them in not rust. Had to soak piston 4 in pure purple stuff to get the oil rings off.

But 2 and 3 piston will come up high enough for me to remove the top piston ring but gets stuck at the top? I have now even used some engine degreaser trying to see if that would help and even jacked the piston up with my jack. No ridge in the engine that I can feel. I have sanded the wall to make sure. And number 1 piston I have no idea.

How about putting a wooden block on top of the pistons and try hammering them out the bottom of the block. Also try putting some ice cubes on the piston before doing it.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: Ramma2
Get a peice of wood and a mallet and just hamemr that sucker out of there!

Well the crank is still in there but I have put a jack on the rod and pushed it up until it starts lifting the whole car.

Yikes, that's scary. Sounds like the engine is going to need a complete rebuild, that's just not normal.

Well all the pistons are out. The reason the 2 and 3 would lift the car was that the crank was not able to turn because of cyl 1 being stuck. As soon as I was able to get piston 1 to move a little I shifted the crank and 2 and 3 popped out. Another 1/2 hour of work and piston 1 was out. I damaged some rod bolts in the process, but much cheaper then $240 for a new piston, each.

Now just get the snap ring off the turbo and finish rebuilding that and then I can put the motor back together. :)

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Congrats! I call dibs on first ride ;)

Sorry but the kids already did that after the car was towed to their place. Ryan, the youngest, jumped in the front seat then to the back as soon as it came off the wrecker. :)

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Valvoline Synthetic Lubricant. I went through cases of PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. I swear by this valvoline stuff.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
2 products work well,

"Sea-Foam",
and Yamaha, Ring Free.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

http://www.seafoamsales.com/deepCreep.htm

Common Reasons Service Technicians Use SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP
When a penetrant and lubricant are needed ? for a multitude of uses.

Your service technician uses SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP to penetrate and lubricate many critical areas and items. SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP is even used upside down to get at difficult areas that need treating. DEEP CREEP is used in many of the technician?s services.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/app...itemdetail/3/122/all/1/346/detail.aspx

Ring Free Fuel Additive

Helps prevent ring stick and wear. Cleans carbon and varnish.

*Please refer to your authorized Yamaha dealer for pricing.

32 oz. bottle
(Dealer Order Qty.=12)

ACC-RNGFR-EE-32 TBA

12 oz. Bottle
(Dealer Order Qty.=12)

ACC-RNGFR-EE-12