best sports car in the mid 30's or lower...

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Hey all, just got a great new job and now its time for a new ride :) What do you all think is the best sports car in the mid 30's or less. Right now a pimped A4 is on the top of my list. Also on the short list are a 323/328 coupe. The z3 and the TT are calling me, but they're just too impracticle. Also high on my list is a used 'vette. Any other suggestions, comments on my current list??

thanks

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Although I'm a big BMW fan, you don't get much for the money for a 3-series.
Unless if you get a used M3. Mid $30Ks, '97 or '98 M3.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Well, regardless of what you "get" when you buy a BMW, you definitely get the fact you can say "I have a new beemer", maybe you don't want to say that, but it still remains - you buy a BMW, and you have a new BMW, its a pretty classy name.

Audis are pretty sweet, but they still aren't a BMW, at least in the eyes of many the BMW will be a nicer car...and if performance really is what you want a used Vette will probabaly fit the bill. Beware repairs :)

Brooks

Feb 10, 2000
Audi S4 is pretty schwanky. If you can deal with a significant amount of torque steer the Saab 9-5 Viggen is a beast. These are both limited-edition cars you don't see every day. You can get a nice used 911 for this much cake, or a very fresh M3. If you can deal with the looks (which I actually like a lot even though the car is undeniably ugly), I bet you could score a '99 M Coupe for this much money as well.

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
donate half of that to me and i'll steal you whatever you want... i'm sure people will understand why you have to start it with a screwdriver

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
I'd say, those Auto-Unions were the best sportscars in the mid 30's. Also there were some neat Bentley sportscars in the mid 30's (this was before they became badge engineered Rollers) They won LeMans back in the 30's you know.. Plus David Brown came out with some great Aston-Martin sportscars in the mid 30's. The Bugatti Atlantic was probaby the best sportscar of the late 30's (if that's not too new for you). Plus there were some great Hispano Suizzas'. The Duisemburg/Cord/Auburn alliance made some great sports cars too, but they were getting a bit on a bit by the' mid 30's'.

:)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Honda S2000's wicked IMO, the new Celica is ok, but the design is weird...

A used Corvette's a great idea too.

-RSI

Dooling37

Jun 7, 2000
Honda S2000 is awesome, but probably not practical enough for you.

Although it's not a BMW or anything, the new Maxima's are great cars. I drive an SE w/ the 17" wheels, grey, tinted windows. Pimp car... ;)

I love the S4 also, and the new Lexus IS300 seems to be a great car. The new Acura CL Type-S is pretty cool, too.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
DABANSHEE,

hahahaha!!!!:D

Vikaden,

Am Audi A8 is about 60k and the S8 is a performance version of that.

I say go with the A4 1.8t Quattro and put on a larger intercooler, remapped ecu, exhaust and next size up turbo(all this is just bolt on stuff)and you will be putting out over 260 hp.Real sweet ride.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
the maximas are real nice, but u want a bmw i tell u!!

The new celicas look....Farking nasty! Damn I'd never pay what they want for a car that looks like that. No offense to anyone that owns one - and yes I'd take one for free, it is better than my car - but it looks to me like a woman's sports car, sorry for the chauvanism, it just does, kinda like the mazda miata finds it real hard to carry around a man and give off the impression his balls are anything bigger than peanuts :)

Brooks

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
thanks yakko, i love the S8 i heard somewhere that they were going to start exporting it to america

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Vikaden,

Called my local dealer this morning because I had a quesion about that exact car and they said later this year.I am not normally a big car kin of person(I think the A6 is too big)but I want that S8

Feb 10, 2000
Yeah, I think someone has been slipping something into the water supply at the Toyota design shop the last few years. The MR Spyder and Celica are just hideous IMO, and the Echo wins the first annual Tee_Edwards World's Ugliest Car award. Toyotas are great cars, but man alive!

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
thanks for the comments. and i got to agree with half of ya that the new celica is ass ugly. i like the new spyder, but also impractical, damn northeast winters :(