Best solution to record Netflix or amazon instant video streams.

gaidin43

Jan 30, 2012
My HTPC has been running great, but due to limits in data and having unlimited usage from 12-6am I am looking for the best way to record video streams from Netflix and amazon to watch later.

I have tried to use any video recorder but this only seems to work for about 5min before it fails and creates a file that isn't watchable.

Are there any programs that grab the stream? Or are screen captures the best way to so this?

No I will not be reselling this or using it in any manner other then watching it personally then deleting due to storage limits.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
With Amazon you can install the Unbox software and it will allow you to dl the content to your computer. The downside to this is because of the DRM the dl will only play in WMP. If you want to use a different player you will need to rip out the DRM in real time using the software I mentione below or an equivalent. There are many out there but keep in mind you have to pay for them.

Netflix is a little harder to do. Netflix needs to be ripped in real time in order to get an mp4 file onto your HDD. If you want to get HD or SD rips off Netflix you will need a fast connection otherwise the resolution will fluctuate and it won't look right. Right now with a 1mb DSL connection I am limited to SD rips. Also ripping in real time requires a decent amount of cpu horse power. I use a program called Audials 10 to record Netflix programming onto my computer.

EDIT:I realize neither option I mention above is ideal to your situation and may sound complicated(because it is), but it is the only way I have found to successfully get around the DRM that Amazon and Netflix employ to "protect" the content they provide.

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
With Amazon you can install the Unbox software and it will allow you to dl the content to your computer. The downside to this is because of the DRM the dl will only play in WMP. If you want to use a different player you will need to rip out the DRM in real time using the software I mentione below or an equivalent. There are many out there but keep in mind you have to pay for them.

Netflix is a little harder to do. Netflix needs to be ripped in real time in order to get an mp4 file onto your HDD. If you want to get HD or SD rips off Netflix you will need a fast connection otherwise the resolution will fluctuate and it won't look right. Right now with a 1mb DSL connection I am limited to SD rips. Also ripping in real time requires a decent amount of cpu horse power. I use a program called Audials 10 to record Netflix programming onto my computer.

EDIT:I realize neither option I mention above is ideal to your situation and may sound complicated(because it is), but it is the only way I have found to successfully get around the DRM that Amazon and Netflix employ to "protect" the content they provide.

Or just use a PS3/Xbox360/other stand-alone box that has component out+S/PDIF audio out and record it on a Hauppauge HD-PVR/Colossus/HD-PVR2....

MPearl

Jun 28, 2013
I know this is month old.. but I just found this site so first post. Hopefully OP is still reading. I have solution that works well but will be in SD.

I use PlayOn/PlayLater as a DLNA server for internet based video, passing them to a Rolu and a few WD devices. The PlayLater function will record any channel you can stream through the PlayOn portion. Both Netflix and Amazon are native channels, and work if you have valid logins for them. Playlater will record them in mp4 format without DRM issues. The system will just add a short segment in the beginning of the video that says your name and IP adress, and could easily be removed with an editor if you care.

Besides keeping the video, you can use the feature to utilize the bandwidth while you are not using your down-link for other things, in the middle of the night etc. Note that PlayOn transcodes the video stream to the recieving client, and not i hi-def. You would be recording in 480p. Though you would need a DLNA client to use/watch PlayOn and all the channels, PlayLater does not really require this since it is just recording the incoming stream, and you can then port the mp4s to where ever you like. I do this a lot when I am traveling. Record a bunch of movies / TV shows with PlayLater, and then copy them to my Android Pad for flights and hotel rooms.

The bundle of the two apps is around $60, and I have found to work well and easily worth the money for the amount I use it. Was part of my dropping Comcast plan. :thumbsup:

-MP