Question Best solution for sharing WIFI between 2 adjacent buildings

PCmodder78

Sep 27, 2022
I am breaking my head trying to share WiFi between two adjacent buildings which are barely 10 metres / 30 feet apart. I can't run an ethernet cable as it is not permitted.

I remember using a Netgear EX7000 extender in the past along with a Asus AC68U but for some reason it is not working now.

I don't have a big budget max $100 so is there something I can buy to get it working?

Was reading about NanoStation from Ubiquiti? Will it work independently or requires any other purchase?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Buy two of this (there is a coupon there so the cost of two is $104).

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/

Run CAT6 wire for the Source site to a window that is looking at the second site and put there one of the Wireless Router configured as an Access point connected to the central source.

Put in the second site the second Router configured as a Bridge.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/440/

You want a complete Wireless system that works well prepare to spend $300-$400.

If you are a Snake Oil lover use an Extender, it works the same as the Snake Oil. :eek: - :D

:cool:

Reactions: PCmodder78

PCmodder78

Sep 27, 2022
LOL snake oil!
Thanks for the suggestion! But don't want to buy two more routers :p Can I just use one router for bridging to the existing one at the source site?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
If you have removable antennas you could just screw a yagi onto one of them to beam the signal. Or put a panel antenna up on a window facing the other building. Tons of options if you have decent gear to begin with. Could always go to the extreme though and mount an AP facing the other building.

30 feet isn't that big of a gap to cover. The leakage from my AP goes further than that. If you use a higher DB antenna it narrows the focus of the RF cone to pinpoint the signal to the other side.

WiFi-Antenna-Selection-figure-1.jpg

9-dbi-7dbi-6dbi-2-dbi-range.jpg

Reactions: PCmodder78

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Outdoor wifi 2 sets under $80

2 for $140

==

if signal is good, you probably can even get by with just one unit.

==

Woops, you mean sharing WiFi? Then you need to add a router in AP mode or extender inside the 2nd building. (No idea about what happened to your EX7000. It looks very good actually if you can get it fixed or configured correctly again )

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Funny thing is I use to carry a high gain directional panel antenna+wifi router in my laptop backpack for several years. Whenever I had really bad signal, I could almost always plug it in and find some open wifi network within range.... They work great as long as your router supports removable antenna. Work even better in pairs, but for the distance you are talking about you should be ok (as long as the buildings are not brick as brick walls are horrible for WiFi signal penetration).

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@Fallen Kell that's a good move. I tend to upgrade the antennas in laptops and other devices because the OEM selections tend to be dismal bare minimum options just like the cards themselves. I even upgraded the antennas on my 5G gateway to make sure I get the best speeds possible on both 5G and the WiFi it provides as a backup. It tends to be a cheap fix at under $10 per device. The gateway was a bit more since it has a total of 8 antennas.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it worked really well, and was a really unobtrusive setup. The panel antenna was in the outermost "pouch" of the backpack (along with the router) and I simply had a network cable running from the laptop back to the backpack and a power cord running from the backpack to an outlet. I would then just position the backpack to point the antenna where I could find the best signal, and connect via bridge mode.

Again, not something really needed now since most businesses/coffee shops/fast food restaurants/hotels have wifi. But would work well for spanning between buildings that have line of sight.

Reactions: Tech Junky