best software for OS backup?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by loki8481, Jan 18, 2013.

1. loki8481

loki8481 Lifer

so, I just purchased a 4.5TB NAS drive (eventually upgrading to 9TB once 3TB drives go on sale again... for now, it's 2 x 3TB and 2 x 750gb). I thought it would be a good opportunity to setup backups for my operating system in case a drive ever dies or the OS gets hosed (and maybe even ditch the RAID1 on my desktop if restores are easy enough; my long term plan is scaling back my desktop so I can get a smaller case, which isn't an option with my current setup that has 6 internal drives)

question is, any recommendations on backup software to run backups of my windows OS? (Win 7 currently, but might upgrade to 8 in the near future). some kind of bare-metal restore option would be ideal, to make recoveries faster. cloud/offsite isn't really a requirement (I use dropbox for my irreplaceable files; this backup would just be to recover my OS and spare the pain of having to reinstall everything)

price is obviously a factor... it seems funny for me to ask this question since my entire job is running server backups for a web hosting company, but the enterprise-level software we use is way more expensive than I'd pay for home use.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - software backup Forum Date
    Software for making backup DVD copies? Software for Windows Oct 2, 2016
    Laptop software backup software recommendation please Software for Windows Sep 22, 2016
    Software to Backup and Restore Outlook 2016/365? Software for Windows Sep 14, 2016
    Best free hard drive backup/image software Software for Windows May 17, 2016
    Automatic Disk backup software Software for Windows Oct 12, 2015

3. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

I've had great experience with Macrium Reflect. They also have a free edition with limited features if you want to try it out.

4. MontyAC

MontyAC Diamond Member

I like Macrium Reflect too. Make sure you create a rescue disk to boot and restore the image.

5. capeconsultant

capeconsultant Senior member

Active@disk image gets my vote. Good software without the bloat!

6. GrumpyMan

GrumpyMan Diamond Member

Macrium for me.

7. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

Same here.

8. Zxian

Zxian Senior member

Any reason why you can't use Windows Backup? I've got that setup for my desktop systems, and I've used it a couple of times to restore the image. As long as your network drivers are supported by the Win7/8 installation media, you should be able to restore your system image directly from the OS installer.

It's free, and I haven't run into any showstopper bugs that would necessarily be handled by third-party software.

9. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

#8 Pardus, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

11. ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69 Lifer

I use both Todo and Macrium free versions (on 64bit).