best software for OS backup?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
so, I just purchased a 4.5TB NAS drive (eventually upgrading to 9TB once 3TB drives go on sale again... for now, it's 2 x 3TB and 2 x 750gb). I thought it would be a good opportunity to setup backups for my operating system in case a drive ever dies or the OS gets hosed (and maybe even ditch the RAID1 on my desktop if restores are easy enough; my long term plan is scaling back my desktop so I can get a smaller case, which isn't an option with my current setup that has 6 internal drives)

question is, any recommendations on backup software to run backups of my windows OS? (Win 7 currently, but might upgrade to 8 in the near future). some kind of bare-metal restore option would be ideal, to make recoveries faster. cloud/offsite isn't really a requirement (I use dropbox for my irreplaceable files; this backup would just be to recover my OS and spare the pain of having to reinstall everything)

price is obviously a factor... it seems funny for me to ask this question since my entire job is running server backups for a web hosting company, but the enterprise-level software we use is way more expensive than I'd pay for home use.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I've had great experience with Macrium Reflect. They also have a free edition with limited features if you want to try it out.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
I like Macrium Reflect too. Make sure you create a rescue disk to boot and restore the image.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
Any reason why you can't use Windows Backup? I've got that setup for my desktop systems, and I've used it a couple of times to restore the image. As long as your network drivers are supported by the Win7/8 installation media, you should be able to restore your system image directly from the OS installer.

It's free, and I haven't run into any showstopper bugs that would necessarily be handled by third-party software.