Best RTS game out right now?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: gregor7777
Originally posted by: TehMac
Look, I've spent a lot of time playing C&C 3: I didn't just give the demo a whirl. I'm the guy who can pick up gameplay techniques and see what gives. I also read on "teh interwebs" using my eyes to pick up text and my brain to analyze it.
This process, commonly alluded to as thinking, has helped me deduce that yes, C&C3 would be better for you, because it does not pretend to have strategy, as opposed to a game that puts on heavy makeup, pretending she's the girl of your dreams.

Either way, Company of Heroes pwns both, and yes, I have that game.

LOL, so it would seem you are equally adept at sarcasm as you are with giving comments on games you haven't played.

Well done, thanks for the help.

:laugh: Yeah, looks like! If you decide to wade into SupCom PM me. I still generally suck, so a few 1v1's would be pretty funny, I think.

AllGamer

Apr 26, 2006
Warhammer 40K is fun the first time you play it, but after the novelty wears out, it gets boring.

gregor7777

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: HardWarrior
Look, I've spent a lot of time playing C&C 3: I didn't just give the demo a whirl. I'm the guy who can pick up gameplay techniques and see what gives. I also read on "teh interwebs" using my eyes to pick up text and my brain to analyze it.
This process, commonly alluded to as thinking, has helped me deduce that yes, C&C3 would be better for you, because it does not pretend to have strategy, as opposed to a game that puts on heavy makeup, pretending she's the girl of your dreams.

Either way, Company of Heroes pwns both, and yes, I have that game.

LOL, so it would seem you are equally adept at sarcasm as you are with giving comments on games you haven't played.

Well done, thanks for the help.

:laugh: Yeah, looks like! If you decide to wade into SupCom PM me. I still generally suck, so a few 1v1's would be pretty funny, I think.

LOL, I'd be interested in that. Once it hits steam I'm going to pick it up and I'll let you know what's up. :)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Soviet
Micro macro gameplay blah blah, the one thing that makes starcraft better than all other strategy games is that its more fun. Fun is number one!

ORLY?

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: HardWarrior
Oh stop it! :D You must need steel poles to hold THAT head up. If you don't like SupCom you have the option of running away, but to try and over-think it out of existence in this way is just insane.

oooh, forgive me for providing analytical reasons why I think SupCom is overhyped. Next time I'll just say something totally unfounded. :confused:

Oh, and I don't need steel poles, my neck does just fine. kthxbai.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I like Supreme Commander. I know it has its issues, but some of the things that it's done as far as gameplay and UI design are epic. The zoom feature is a prime example. It will be a crime if a strategy game comes out that doesn't blatantly copy that.

SC is everything that I hoped it would be. :heart:

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
This is coming from a long time love of turn based strategy games but I still haven't found a better RTS then Rise of Nations

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
RTS Turn based

Rome Total War and Medieval 2 .
Rise of nations
And of course Civiliazation 3 + 4

RTS Action/Resources

Act Of War
Company of Heroes
Command and Conquer 3

RTS/w RPG Heroes and elements

Can't go wrong with Starcraft or Warcraft.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
RoN is still the best RTS of all time, IMO. I haven't played RoL because I wasn't interested in the steampunk theme but I am drooling in anticipation of RoN2.

Game mechanics reward macromanagement and punish micromanagement. If you try to focus fire your troops, not only do you lose the rock-paper-scissors auto-targetting bonuses (rocket troops prefer to shoot at tanks, infantry at rocket troops, tanks at infantry, etc), but there is actually a damage penalty applied to multiple units attacking a single unit (e.g. if one horse archer shoots at an infantry, it will take 2 hits to kill, if 2 horse archers are shooting, it takes 3 hits total to kill, etc).

The economy is superb as well, infinite resources, great raiding/defense mechanics, simple and balanced research vs military vs upgrades, etc. Ramping costs to punish single-unit spamming, varied resource costs for different units promote army diversification, etc. The game is so well designed it ruined all other RTS's for me.

AllGamer

Apr 26, 2006
there's a RON2 ?

everyone is calling ROL = RON2

ROL is a very good game, you should give it a try.

although most ideas they copy it from ScarCraft 1

Protoss, Zerg, Terran.... exact same factions (but renamed of course, and difference 3d graphics), same way to expand boundaries, same limitations for some tech to work....

can you say Microsoft Sucks? :p

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
CNC3 is the best. If you don't like worrying about micro too much I think you will like it.

Supreme Commander was a terrible sequel to Total Annihilation, a far better game. I can't believe it was made by the same development team and yet was garbage in so many ways.

Yeah try SupCom, although I'd rather play C&C3, a game that doesn't pretend to have strategy than a game that does pretend, but fails in that respect.

Is the cheating and tank spamming as bad as people make it out to be in C&C3 online?

This is much more exagerrated than it really is. Tank Spamming has several counters now and has been made a rather ineffective tactic by the latest patches. I played a few hundred matches of CNC3 online, but didn't encounter any cheaters. The worst problem is really people who disconnect.

RoN is still the best RTS of all time, IMO. I haven't played RoL because I wasn't interested in the steampunk theme but I am drooling in anticipation of RoN2.

Is there a true sequel in development?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I will now offer the recommendation of World in Confict.

Its like Act of War times 10, and Act of War was pretty damn good.

Apr 17, 2005
i've been playing a bit of CoH: OF. so far its pretty good and the new armies are really unique. i gotta say that TA is my favorite RTS ever. i'm waiting to get SC when i have some time because i really want to sink some time into it. if its anything like TA, i'll be very very happy.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: QuantumPion

You're going to have to wait, like me. :( Big Huge Games is working on an RPG with a former Elder Scrolls 4 designer. I'm interested to see what they pull.

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
What, no Sins of a Solar Empire nominations? Bought it but haven't installed it yet. Rome:Total War is older but completely engrossing. I suspect that Medieval 2 will have the same effect on me when I actually get to it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Edge1
What, no Sins of a Solar Empire nominations? Bought it but haven't installed it yet. Rome:Total War is older but completely engrossing. I suspect that Medieval 2 will have the same effect on me when I actually get to it.

I havent played it yet, but my understanding is I need to or else be labeled "loser" for all eternity.