Best RPG / adventure games for curmudgeons?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Longest Journey and Gabriel Knight were awesome!

We're veering towards adventure games now and leaving RPG behind us, but those are some great games.

I realized that most people don't really like GK2 (Beast Within), especially because of the funky full motion video mechanic (it came with at least six disks), but I got really hooked with this one. The story is great, and the music... damn the music was really good and fitting. The atmosphere on this game was just so amazing.

Aug 29, 2015
Aarklash Legacy deserves a mention. It is an indie game so it can only really focus on one thing and they chose combat. So the story isn't much to talk about and there are no quests or exploring etc. But what it does do is provide almost constant combat and each battle is like its own little puzzle, and your party of 4 each with 4 abilities (so 16 - per fight) has to win, and it can be really tactical. It reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics in that it is mostly just battle after battle and each battle is finely tuned to be a real challenge. It does also have quite a lot of decent puzzles though too.

I would say my favorite RPG of all time (outside of Everquest) is Divinity Original Sin. I hated the story, the characters, and the dialogue, but I rarely like those things in games anyway. But the combat was some of the best I've seen. It has a big selection of party buffs, lots of damage spells and control spells and melee abilities. And what it does that is unique or better than other games is the environment interaction and spell interaction. You can rain oil on enemies and it will slow the down, and then use a fire spell to ignite it and burn them all. But it can hurt your party too so you have to be careful. And there is ice which turns to water from fire and then lightning on the water electrocutes everyone standing in it etc. It is really well done. I loved it. Lots of finely tuned battles too, although some grind too. It is kind of similar to Dragon Age Origins but far better combat.

Also I LOVED Might and Magic X. I think it is under rated. It is a slight downer that it is constantly grid/turn based unlike some of the older ones which only went turn based during battles, but it really didn't bother me. I like how the combat was really challenging and there were some really tactical fights thanks to all the spells and skills available. Also the exploration and itemisation the game has is really good. It is a near perfect game for me because it has the faster pace and higher focus on combat of more modern action style RPG's, but it has some of the extra depth of the older RPG's, so everything doesn't just go splat.

p.s. Jagged Alliance 2 is really good as a strategy/tactics game. Not sure if it could be classed as RPG, it maybe could, either way it is a classic for good reason. With old games I am hard to please. I completed BG2 when it was new but I tried to play it more recently and found it tedious so gave up. ToEE same story, completed it in the olden days but nowadays I am just too lazy. The combat is decent but it is so repetitive and I couldn't be bothered doing the exact same routine 1000 times to win so I gave up at about 80% ish. Arx Fatalis, same deal, interesting spell casting idea but everything else meh. Most RPG's this is the same for me. Some exceptions though:

1) Summoner - lesser known party based tactical RPG, really good. Old though.
2) Betrayal at Krondor - awesome tactical RPG with grid based combat and really good and tactical combat. But very old and looks like crap if you are used to modern graphics.
3) System Shock 1 + 2 (sorta RPG's but also FPS)
4) Midwinter - action, sort of RPG, but very old, maybe the oldest mentioned. Fingers crossed for a remake which may be happening.
5) Eye of the Beholder 2 - old but still awesome, and the best introduction for new players to tactical RPG's.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
if the protagonist is male, its summoner 1; female, summoner 2. if the game has a skit of monsters playing D&D after the credits, then it's 1. this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA

summoner 2 is WAY better than summoner 1, in just about any way, graphics, storyline, maps, writing, quests, honestly if you liked summ1 you will love summ2.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
We're veering towards adventure games now and leaving RPG behind us, but those are some great games.

I realized that most people don't really like GK2 (Beast Within), especially because of the funky full motion video mechanic (it came with at least six disks), but I got really hooked with this one. The story is great, and the music... damn the music was really good and fitting. The atmosphere on this game was just so amazing.

I thought GK2 was amazing. It had some big flaws, but was one of the best adventure experiences, with the inclusion of Castle Neuschwanstein and Wagner.