Best remotes for HTPCs?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So, my solution is probably the most ghetto solution possible.

I have a fancy programmable remote for my Reciever, Bluray, Uverse DVR, Projector, etc...
I am using an IBM Model M keyboard with a PS2 extension cable and a cheap $5 Optical mouse that I got like 10 years ago with a USB extension cable currently for the HTPC.

This works well for gaming, as my armrests on my recliner are big enough to be a mousepad, and my lap can easily hold the keyboard, and with the extensions, they both reach my lap in the front row of the theater room.

But, if I just want to throw on a movie via netflix, it would be a lot easier with a remote I'd think...

What PC Remotes are people using these days? Are they RF? (I don't have clear LOS to my PC)

Is there a good wireless Buckling spring keyboard? (Or, would I have to settle for Cherry Switch based keyboard? Again, RF preferred over Infrared)

Is there a wireless mouse with a 15-20 foot range that won't eat through batteries like a crazy battery ninja? (also, RF preferred over Infrared)

Or, given my scenario, am I best off just continuing to go with extension cords :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I use a Gyration remote and a Bluetooth Logitech keyboard that's meant for PS3s. It has a trackpad built into it too.

EDIT:

I got the latter on sale at Slickdeals for about $25. I got the prior off eBay on the recommendation of a forum goer for a pretty good price.

Last edited:

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I already had a Logitech Harmony remote before buying my HTPC. I bought a USB IR receiver for about $15 shipped off of ebay. It lets me control Win7 media center completely. With a USB extension cable, you could place the receiver wherever you need to.

Another thought would be something like the Logitech DiNovo Mini. It can be used as a keyboard, mouse, and media center remote. I used to love my dinovo mini, but because of some quality issues, I'd recommend looking for another product that does the same thing (not sure what, because I haven't shopped for a replacement yet).

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Is there a wireless mouse with a 15-20 foot range that won't eat through batteries like a crazy battery ninja? (also, RF preferred over Infrared)

I still use a Logitech Anywhere MX mouse on the same nano receiver as the keyboard in my previous post. Works well at 12-15 feet; haven't tried longer range.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
I use a Logitech dinovi mini in my bed room and the iogear multimedia KB in the living room. Both work fine. The dinovo gets a little getting used to tho and the iogear is small and works great but still a little bigger than I'd like.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions ...

The remote I use for everything else is an older version of this one: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MCC-AV.../dp/B000CQP5YS

It was like 75 bucks on geeks.com a while back and came with IR blaster with 4 blaster thingies .... I believe it's made in the same factory on the same assembly lines as the Harmony remotes, but it has crappier software :(

Maybe I can use it to control the PC too .... never even thought to try that ....

Otherwise, Tho IO Gear looks ok, and the K400 is quite tempting, but I'm really really really fussy about mechanical keyboards... Maybe time to bite the bullet and say fvck it since I'm not gonna find a lightweight wireless mechanical keyboard?

This is the only wireless mechanical keyboard I've ever seen, and it pretty much is supposed to have signal problems which I don't want to deal with. And it doesn't have the built in touchpad... and it's quite a bit larger vs the suggestions from you here. http://www.amazon.com/XArmor-U9W-wir.../dp/B004S862FW

I'd easily pay $150 for the "perfect" keyboard (mechanical keyswitches, dvorak layout, RF signal with good range, and holds a charge for a long time, and light ...)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Have a favorite remote you want to use?

Check out Flirc. I have tested it and recommend it. Great product.

http://flirc.tv/

Oooh, this looks like it could be an easy solution ... I could plug it into one of those cat5 USB extenders and stick it below my screen in the front of the room, and then route the USB above the ceiling or along the wall below the base moulding...

Thanks for the tip.

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Oooh, this looks like it could be an easy solution ... I could plug it into one of those cat5 USB extenders and stick it below my screen in the front of the room, and then route the USB above the ceiling or along the wall below the base moulding...

Thanks for the tip.

No problem.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I use my galaxy SII phone, a bit like this:

Official_XBMC_Remote_for_Android.png

That was always the major barrier for me building an HTPC... how to control the thing from a few metres away without any config problems or caveats etc. Have to use XBMC but based on my experiences with it so far i wouldnt use anything else :)

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I use a Logitech Harmony 99% of the time. I bought one of these to use for my xbox as an extender. I used the IR from it as the receiver for the Harmony on the HTPC. The set-up works great. The Harmony controls the TV, HTPC, surround sound, and PS3. I also have a backlit Lenovo remote but I really only use it for once in a blue moon when I am downloading something and need to type in a web address. On screen keyboards are good enough for typing in movie titles in Netflix and such.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i use a harmony 300 now. i used to use a harmony with an lcd screen but it was complicated to use and it wasnt as durable.

this thing is bulletproof and always works, and the batteries dont die. i love it. if i cant use it (need a mouse/kb) i use bluetrack microsoft mice. the mobile mouse 4000 is awesome because it tracks on almost any surface... like the couch! then i have a tiny $20 bluetooth keyboard for typing, but i hardly ever need it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

[snip]

That was always the major barrier for me building an HTPC... how to control the thing from a few metres away without any config problems or caveats etc. Have to use XBMC but based on my experiences with it so far i wouldnt use anything else :)

I use an app like that on iOS called HippoRemote. It works with VNC (they have a customized app), which means it also works with the AppleTV 2 + XBMC. I don't use it all the time since it isn't necessary, but sometimes it helps for doing arduous things like turning off subtitles on the aforementioned ATV2. :p

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000
Are there any devices that are RF input (to the PC), with a universal remote IR function as well?

I currently use a Rii which is awesome for input once the PC is on. But I still have to turn the TV on with an IR remote, as well as the speakers. If I find an all in one solution, I will add a IR power on to the PC as well.

It looks like nMediaPC has a product called the HTPCKB100, but reviews are really bad, and it looks a little too big. If the Rii had IR, it would be perfect!!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Official_XBMC_Remote_for_Android.png

Ooohhh .... This looks like a winner ...
cost to me = 0 as I already have an Android phone, and while I've never monkeyed with XBMC, I'm sure it would be easy enough to set up.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Ooohhh .... This looks like a winner ...
cost to me = 0 as I already have an Android phone, and while I've never monkeyed with XBMC, I'm sure it would be easy enough to set up.

i use my droid in certain situations... like when i cant find the real remote:D

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I use the Microsoft Windows Remote...but Microsoft no longer makes them. Best WMC remote ever built.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I think I want to try one of these?

http://www.riimini.org/RII-i6-minikeyboard.html

I think they make this in a 3-way version with Blue Tooth, Wireless, and infra-red. Has a command learning feature. They have some other similar products.

This is what they have on the front page:

http://www.riimini.org/

that looks pretty awesome. i want to try it too. could be an ultimate last resort remote. meaning not one you use for normal use like tv watching and such... but when you need to switch the activity youre doing with your pc then you grab this because it can do everything.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I use the Microsoft Windows Remote...but Microsoft no longer makes them. Best WMC remote ever built.

no joke. i cant believe they didnt make a win7 version. they designed one but never sold it.

and now win8 has the same media center yet no way to control it either. so dumb. you cant even find them anymore really...

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000