best, read least expensive lap to pc network

lucky9

Sep 6, 2003
daughter had a prob with her laptop recently. puppy got tangled with the power cord. messed up her hard disk. reformatted, etc. came to update it with latest and thought of no access to my cable modem. duh! ended taking it back to her with apologies for not being able to get the latest updates etc.

need a cheap solution to get to cable downlink. read about a usp solution, but i'm not too sure that will do it. maybe just bite the bullet and get a network card for her laptop? will be shopping soon. can't this week, maybe not next. depends on costs. things be tight right now around here. a suggestions appreciated, thanks to all. i've really enjoyed the forum here. i've read many and only subscribe to a few of those.:brokenheart:

LiLithTecH

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2002
Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Mobile Adapters (MBLA3200)
can be had for $25-$30 online. It has a dongle which is replaceable.
It is supported by virtually every OS (it sux with DOS networking though).

There are also CHEAP Wireless PCMCIA Cards/Switch combos.
Most schools (Colleges and some High Schools) now have campus wide
wireless network support, so it may be worth looking into.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
buy a firewire cable, plug into both machines, wait 1 minute for them to configure firewire networking, transfer files.

lucky9

Sep 6, 2003
Thanks, I'll probably go with the cheapest solution. I'll check the ethernet solution and the PCMCIA one. I don't have firewire on either computer available. But that (firewire) does sound like a sweet way to go.

Many thanks will check prices on the 17th and post results if anyone is interested. May help others. Again, many thanks. :D