best range extender

moh2004

Jan 8, 2005
I've a netgear adsl modem+rounter+wireless access point

I want to use an extender so that I can use the internet while I'm in my bedroom

What is the best range extender in the market now, regardless of the price, I just care about the performance nothing else

Thanks

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
Well your limited to Netgear for repeating anyway since your parent AP is netgear. And there isn't a best anyway. If it works it works if it doesn't it doesn't. I guess you could ask what has the best antenna and radio senstivity. Any netgear AP that has repeating functionality you'll be fine, albeit at greatly reduced bandwidth, which may not matter to you if all your concerned about is internet traffic

Night201

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
If you can get rid of the netgear access point, Linksys has an Extender which you can use. I've set one up and it works pretty well. You'll lose 50% of your bandwidth, but for basic internet and stuff, it shouldn't be too bad.

bersl2

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2004
Retransmitters shouldn't be dependent on manufacturer. All that needs to be done is to listen for and rebroadcast signals on a certain number of frequencies.

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
just make yourself a new antenna or buy a better one...often that will give you more than enough extra range.

standing waveguide antenna will probably be overkill....so google for pringle can antenna or cantenna

DaRock42

Sep 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Night201
If you can get rid of the netgear access point, Linksys has an Extender which you can use. I've set one up and it works pretty well. You'll lose 50% of your bandwidth, but for basic internet and stuff, it shouldn't be too bad.

ummmm...u lose bandwidth when you use the extender???

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
Yes. Pretty simple logic. You have one radio that has to transmit and send to the parent AP and the client machine.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
As already stated by kwebb.

1. Repeaters (Aka Extenders) work only with the same chipset of the source.
2. Entry Level One Radio Repeater cut the ?Speed? into half.
3. Linksys Repeater (Extender) solution is not different then the other Brands.

Repeaters are the last resort solution when the combination of Cable and AP is not possible, or and the envioroment is not conducive for Antennae solution.

May be this can Help.

Link to: Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network.

Link to: Hi Gain Antenna for Entry Level Wireless.

:sun:

P.S. The are times in live that Wishful Thinking might Help. Solving Computer related problems is NOT one of them.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Night201

I was going to buy extender but why lose 50% of bandwidth?

mdcrab

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2001
I have a preference towards Netgear, but am currently using a LinkSys WRT54G. The software interface that Netgear uses is considerably better. Anyway I like the transmission power setting available on the LinkSys to extend the range, but I am thinking about going back to the Netgear Router WGR614v4 and using a:
WGXB102
Has anyone here have any experience with these units? They are a little pricey, but since they are new maybe the price will come down.

mdcrab

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: bersl2
Retransmitters shouldn't be dependent on manufacturer. All that needs to be done is to listen for and rebroadcast signals on a certain number of frequencies.

Unfortunately that isn't the case. May work with other Mfg but probably won't. Non WDS repeating is not a standard. It's a bit more complex that just listening and repeating.