Best quality "gaming" notebooks under $1,500? No flex, overheat, bad keyboard/LCD etc

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
15" 1080 with 965m or better and at least a 256GB SSD. I've had a good experience with an Asus G50 (2007?), but dunno if they're still so good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the old Asus was a Lenovo, and while it had great specs and price, it's a pile of junk. Flimsy everywhere, weak hinges, horrid touch pad that literally pushes inside the laptop, failing keyboard, always had terrible spotty WiFi etc. The old Asus went through a hell of a lot more abuse and is much older and still has no issues.

Used to be Clevo and other such OEM laptops were crap...but it sounds like that me not be the case anymore? I want something built like a tank, with excellent cooling for the CPU/GPU. I'm actually willing to give up a bit on specs to get something that can actually last 10 years, not barely 2.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I've done some perusing myself, and I've spec'd out some options.

Cyberpower Fangbook with i7-4870, 6GB 970m, 16GB, 256GB SSD near $1600

Bit to rich though, and not finding reviews of the laptop (and bad reviews of CP itself)

Went to Sager spec'd an NP8651-S similar to the Fangbook but with a 47xx CPU and 3GB 970m near $1500.

Still wishing for a lower price I went down to the NP8650 w/ 2GB 965m and 8GB RAM for $1300.

I don't really know about these Sagers though...and I'm really wishing I could get a good quality unit with a 970m closer to $1,300 and/or a good 965m unit closer to $1,100.

Perhaps that's just a crazy dream, but I think a good sale price would get me there...as long as these are good quality units. I'll keep looking, and want to find some Asus options to compare, but I gotta run some other errands for now and figured I'd let you guys do some work for me while I'm busy :awe:

Edit: Oh and I don't NEED 16GB RAM, I think 8GB is probably O.K. but some of the configurations don't let me pick less.

And I've been avoiding all the M2 SSD options and just changing the HDD's to 2.5" SSDs. Been trying to stick with better SSD's like the BX100 and/or EVO850. The Fangbook ended up with a Sandisk X300 (WTF is that)?

I know it's cheaper, but I don't really know how to swap a TB+ HDD with a 256/512GB SSD myself...not in a laptop. Far to complicated and fraught with issues.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
No comments? I guess all those gaming notebooks you guys have been buying ended up junk too...

Perhaps it's best we move back to the old beastly bricks of indestructibleness.

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
Try the Dell Outlet or eBay for:
ALIENWARE 15 I7-4710HQ 1080P GTX970M 8GB 1TB GAMING LAPTOP Optional SSD

However, they are refurbs with warranty and you will have to clone and swap for a SSD...

Occasionally you might be able to find a
MSI GS60 with a 970m too.

I have a Clevo w230ss and have not had any problems with it as far as Sager/Clevo quality issues.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Those Alienware laptops make me cringe every time. Terribly overpriced too.

But I admit, I didn't think to check Dell refurb for a deal. In general Dell actually seems to do O.K. and I have gotten some great deals from them before (including refurb).

I'll look into it, thanks for the input.