Question Best practice with old modem/router (Cisco DPC3828S) & new router

ToTT

Apr 6, 2020
Hello, my modem from ISP is Cisco DPC3828S, it is a wireless router with 1 Lan port. It cannot be set as bridge mode.
If I add a faster CPU and better RAM router, will it improve performance?
There will be about 40 devices connected (wired and wireless), so I believe, the DPC3828S cannot handle it alone.

I believe, it is better to connect a more powerful router to DPC3828S, and DMZ the new router within DPC3828S.
The logic is that the router will be faster at routing many addresses compare to the DPC3828S.
Or am I wrong?

Opt1:
ISP---DPC3828S---better router---(connected to many devices wired and wirelessly)

Opt2:
ISP---DPC3828S---Switch---(connected to wired devices)
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ |----(connected wirelessly to devices)

Which one is better?
I don't really care much about security tho, just performance.
Thank you.

ToTT

Apr 6, 2020
It depends on how many wireless devices you will have. Wireless seems to be more of a load on a router than wired.

I would try option 2 first and if it doesn't perform how you need, then switch to option 1.
Okay. Thank you for the advice!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is that router required by your ISP for some reason? Static IP allocation in a business setting, or something? Is it gigabit-capable (Wired)?

ToTT

Apr 6, 2020
Is that router required by your ISP for some reason? Static IP allocation in a business setting, or something? Is it gigabit-capable (Wired)?
I believe so, it's the modem/router that they give to their customers. It is for home and small business, I think. Yes, only 1 gigabit port is provided by the modem/router.