Best possible

JimiP

May 6, 2007
OK, I am looking for a high quality, overclocking friendly socket 939 motherboard with one or two PCI-E x16 slots. ASUS is preferred but I'm not entirely bias. I hear that DFI had some very good skt939 motherboards but I realize they're difficult to find as there is no future roadmap for 939.

Main reason I am looking for one is because I already have an Athlon X2 3800+ and a 1GB DDR-400 kit. I am wanting to build a cheap LAN box with things I already have.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Good luck, I have a 939 board and hope it doesn't fail as there is nothing out there to serve as a replacement, and the company that makes my board went the way of the dodo.

JimiP

May 6, 2007
I think I have found the perfect motherboard for my cheap LAN system.

ASUS A8N-SLI. Does anyone know about the pricing and availability of these motherboards? I know that after a BIOS flash, it will support Athlon X2 chips and it has DDR-400 and two PCI-Express slots. It seems like a perfect board for my needs.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Considering Socket939 is dead, good luck finding any non micro-atx, non integrated graphics solution at any retailer. The only place your really gonna find one is ebay or the FS section.

and sames you looking for overclocking your going to want a DFI board more or less.

kaiten

Mar 15, 2006
I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and a A8N-E. Both boards have been completely trouble-free for me from day 1, but each is not made anymore.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: kaiten
I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and a A8N-E. Both boards have been completely trouble-free for me from day 1, but each is not made anymore.

Too add to his list, I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I know alot like to slam tiger but they are good for selling dated hardware at IMHO reasonable costs, right now they have two decent looking 939 boards on there, one is an ECS and the other an MSI...both are under $60. Good luck

THERESONATOR

Jan 2, 2008
I recommend the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert. If you can get it! At the time it was arguably the best motherboard ever made.