Best Photo printing printer

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good printer that will do nice quality photo prints? Wireless is great.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good printer that will do nice quality photo prints? Wireless is great.
What price range are you looking at? many different qualities out there...from a few $ to many thousands of $.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Keep an eye on Slickdeals. You'll find Canon deals almost daily. I bought an MG6620 for $50 and am pretty amazed by how good it looks. Yeah, it may not look quite as good as the Epson it replaced, but I was tired of Epson clog issues and figured I had nothing to lose and am pleasantly surprised. You can often get the Canon Pixma Pro-100 for $50 if you're willing to mess with rebates (the Slickdealers claim the rebates always come and are fairly quick). I would've preferred the Pro-100 but didn't want to mess with rebates and the thing is apparently HUGE.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Keep an eye on Slickdeals. You'll find Canon deals almost daily. I bought an MG6620 for $50 and am pretty amazed by how good it looks. Yeah, it may not look quite as good as the Epson it replaced, but I was tired of Epson clog issues and figured I had nothing to lose and am pleasantly surprised. You can often get the Canon Pixma Pro-100 for $50 if you're willing to mess with rebates (the Slickdealers claim the rebates always come and are fairly quick). I would've preferred the Pro-100 but didn't want to mess with rebates and the thing is apparently HUGE.

Going to have him get http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00AVWKU...olid=59G20BCRXR0B&coliid=I22FJ6OVHN5PSK&psc=1

Slick deals turned me onto it. So thanks for the tip.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006

The Epson 1430 that I linked earlier is as good as you will get in this price range. Laser printers are simply not capable of true photo-quality versus current dye and pigment based printers. Dye based will give you photos with incredible punch but lag behind pigment based printers in longevity and fading. Epson printers that use Claria ink can have a visible life of 100+ years when used with specific Epson papers, though.

You can get good results from most printers, Canon can be very, very good but you'll find that the majority of serious printers use Epson.

Start here for a few good reviews:
http://www.dpreview.com/
Their printing sub-forum would be a great place to ask this same question.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The Epson 1430 that I linked earlier is as good as you will get in this price range. Laser printers are simply not capable of true photo-quality versus current dye and pigment based printers. Dye based will give you photos with incredible punch but lag behind pigment based printers in longevity and fading. Epson printers that use Claria ink can have a visible life of 100+ years when used with specific Epson papers, though.

You can get good results from most printers, Canon can be very, very good but you'll find that the majority of serious printers use Epson.

Start here for a few good reviews:
http://www.dpreview.com/
Their printing sub-forum would be a great place to ask this same question.

Every Epson printer I have owned clogged up so I avoid them at all costs, now Canon on the other hand has some great photo printers especially those that use grey inks and are easy to clean ie heads are removable and even replaceable on a lot of models.

My old MG6250 printer(six inks including grey) is still going strong over many years and lots of photo printing(A4 size prints).

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Every Epson printer I have owned clogged up so I avoid them at all costs, now Canon on the other hand has some great photo printers especially those that use grey inks and are easy to clean ie heads are removable and even replaceable on a lot of models.

My old MG6250 printer(six inks including grey) is still going strong over many years and lots of photo printing(A4 size prints).

Yeah, I loved the print quality of Epson printers but I am done with them because of the clogging issues. We'll see how long my new Canon lasts. At a cost of $50, I won't be out too much even if it croaks tomorrow.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
That's your trade off. The newer dye-based (Claria) printers from the last 3-4 years are much better than the old ones for clogging. Still, if you aren't going to print at least once a week, you will run the chance of clogging. Not only that, but with the expense of ink and paper it will be much cheaper to just have it done at a photo lab. It's not worth the investment unless you are printing 8x10 and up.

However, if you are going to print at least weekly the clogging won't occur and the image quality is the best available.

Last edited: