Best PCs for a net cafe?

Mar 15, 2003
Odd question, I know.. A friend of mine is starting a net cafe and asked me to build six computers for him.. His budget is very small (about $300 for each computer) but I figure that he needs a very basic computer a low powered CPU and pretty basic specs... My question is though, which of these CPUs would be best for a system running 24/7 without EVER crashing or overheating:

a) P3
b) p3 or p4 based celeron
c) amd duron

I want these systems to be relatively quiet as well so I want them to run 1000000% stable on stock cooling..

Also, what's the cheapest LEGAL way to get 6 windows XP home edition oem copies? Should I just install an older OS (win98/winME) onto these systems?

P3, IMHO.

You can try installing linux and make the stations into kiosks with nothing but browsers accessible to the customers.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'd go with a P4 celeron on an *INTEL*

Stop.

Notice the *INTEL*.

Resume.

board. The OS is going to be a large chunk of that price. I don't see it happening for $300 each from scratch with monitor. Unless you're using Linux or *BSD?

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Stop.

Notice the *INTEL*.

Resume.

board. The OS is going to be a large chunk of that price. I don't see it happening for $300 each from scratch with monitor. Unless you're using Linux or *BSD?

I don't think that they need a monitor with that quote... I emailed him to make sure though.. I think I will go with either a p3 or a p4 celeron, depending on which integrated motherboard/ram combo is cheaper...Also, a linux kiosk is intriguing.. I'll look into that

Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212

Stop.

Notice the *INTEL*.

Resume.

I don't think that they need a monitor with that quote... I emailed him to make sure though.. I think I will go with either a p3 or a p4 celeron, depending on which integrated motherboard/ram combo is cheaper...Also, a linux kiosk is intriguing.. I'll look into that
The reason I mentioned that is when I was fooling around with linux last year, I seem to remember some setting somewhere to make Mandrake into a 'kiosk station,' where the browser was fullscreen, and there were no other programs accessible. I can't really remember whrere I saw it though, maybe in installation, maybe in the actual OS.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Originally posted by: violetman
get a P3

Why? Check pricewatch. The P4 Celerons are less expensive.

You are correct! P4 celes are much cheaper than p3s... odd

Tell me about it. It's going to be expensive if I ever upgrade my dual 333 cellys.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
buy 6 low end pre built pc's. they will be fast enough for your needs, probably run quiet, esp if you buy a dell or something, and come with windows xp for cheaper then you could get it alone. home brewing isn't going to save you money or trouble in this situation.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
get a P3

Why? Check pricewatch. The P4 Celerons are less expensive.

Celeron is not quite a full Pentium,and the price itself isn't that different:p:p:p

It'll fine as a webstation, but your friend should also invest in the future. If he ever wants to expanded to a gaming cafe anytime soon, he should spend more on each computer and on more computers.

Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
buy 6 low end pre built pc's. they will be fast enough for your needs, probably run quiet, esp if you buy a dell or something, and come with windows xp for cheaper then you could get it alone. home brewing isn't going to save you money or trouble in this situation.
I concur - if you wait for a deal from Dell, it'll have pretty much everything you need for under $400 each, if you can afford that. However, those often come with no OS for that price, so back to the Linux thing.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yup and nope ~400 with keyboard/optical mouse and software. 500 with monitor or so. p4 celly. warrantee etc. and thats reg price including ms works, xp home etc.

i just played around their their site and got a system setup for about that by customizing it.

pc building is for performance/ constantly upgraded pc's. or pcs made with spare parts

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Everybody is forgetting something...

At least around here, one of the major money makers for the net cafes is lan parties.

Now, with at least 2 new DirectX9 games coming out, it could be a huge marketing coup if he had DX9 capable vid cards that could play HL2 or whatever at good framerates with lots of goodies turned on.

I know the cards will blow his budget out the window, but maybe do just one or two machines that way right off the bat, and upgrade the others as the money comes in? (This would require the machines to have AGP slots, of course.)

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Can't you just have an open switch and let people bring their own PC's for the gaming stuff?

And definitely not 98/ME for the OS. Unless you plan to re-image the PC's after each customer. Linux or XP would be preferred.

Good luck, I can't imagine those places making money...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Have you thought about those VIA ITX systems? If all they are going to be used for is surfing the net those systems would be more than adequate. They are low power consuming, cheap and small.

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
If its for webbrowsing only, then check the LTSP.org website.... everything you need to setup web kiosks... we have done it and its pretty neat... and cheap.... using donated recycled pcs (p133s) no HDs... and a server (PIII 450) also donated.... less than $100 dollars total... for 9 workstations.... unfortunately... no gaming cappable on these pcs....

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Everybody is forgetting something...

At least around here, one of the major money makers for the net cafes is lan parties.

Now, with at least 2 new DirectX9 games coming out, it could be a huge marketing coup if he had DX9 capable vid cards that could play HL2 or whatever at good framerates with lots of goodies turned on.

I know the cards will blow his budget out the window, but maybe do just one or two machines that way right off the bat, and upgrade the others as the money comes in? (This would require the machines to have AGP slots, of course.)

not with only 6 pc's :)

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
You could use Windows 2000 Pro for the OS.... ;)

You should probably start out with a Linux setup for browsing and then upgrade to Windows systems later.