Best PCI x16 I can get to upgrade old computer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Best thing to do is try it out worst that will happen is you will be forced to pay for a new PSU best case it will run your system adequately fine so I suggest not getting all excited about the PSU until you actually see for a fact if a costly PSU upgrade is actually necessitated.
please stop giving bad advice. those cheap psus dont have the protection of good models and he could damage other components.

plus his psu is even worse than I thought so he stands NO chance of running a video card with that old psu.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
please stop giving bad advice. those cheap psus dont have the protection of good models and he could damage other components.

plus his psu is even worse than I thought so he stands NO chance of running a video card with that old psu.
I re posted after OP posted that his OEM HP PC has a paltry 160watt PSU LOL funny all you cared to do is smash me LOL

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I re posted after OP posted that his OEM HP PC has a paltry 160watt PSU LOL funny all you cared to do is smash me LOL
AGAIN you are only looking at wattage rating. if he would have had the 220 or 250 watt slimline psu then it would have only made 1-2 amps difference anyway. in other words nothing really changed as the other psu would not have been able to run the card after all these years either.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
AGAIN you are only looking at wattage rating. if he would have had the 220 or 250 watt slimline psu then it would have only made 1-2 amps difference anyway. in other words nothing really changed as the other psu would not have been able to run the card after all these years either.
Stop trolling me mate last warning before I report you to the mods "REASON" your a bug troll LEAVE ME ALONE.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Stop trolling me mate last warning before I report you to the mods "REASON" your a bug troll LEAVE ME ALONE.
stop making ridiculous posts and defending them. all you did was argue back and forth and never once looked at the math. and then on top of the you went ahead and told the op just to try it which of course could have damaged his pc since his psu lacks the protection of a decent psu. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Obviously some people here have not seen what an overloaded power supply can do to a system. Fried mobo, vid card, and hard drives are par for the course. Especially on these Poorly designed and un-protected psu's from oems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Obviously some people here have not seen what an overloaded power supply can do to a system. Fried mobo, vid card, and hard drives are par for the course. Especially on these Poorly designed and un-protected psu's from oems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That is why I stated to the OP in a previous post of mine "please upgrade that PSU before you do anything else."

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
That is why I stated to the OP in a previous post of mine "please upgrade that PSU before you do anything else."
you made that post AFTER you had argued back and forth with me and told the op to go and try it when we thought he had a psu with only 1 or 2 more amps than he turned out to have. so at that point he would have risked damaging his pc if he would have followed your advice.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
you made that post AFTER you had argued back and forth with me and told the op to go and try it when we thought he had a psu with only 1 or 2 more amps than he turned out to have. so at that point he would have risked damaging his pc if he would have followed your advice.
Then OP linked his PC specs and that is when we found out about the anemic 160watt OEM PSU

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Then OP linked his PC specs and that is when we found out about the anemic 160watt OEM PSU
and AGAIN, I had already told you that the psu he had would only make about 12-14 amps when new. you keep looking at the freaking wattage when it was the amps I told you to look at all along. the 160 watt psu he linked to changed nothing really from what I have said since it was rated at 12 amps when new which I already mentioned earlier. even if he would have had the 220/250 watt with 14 amps when new, then NOTHING would have changed because the old psu would be too weak after all these years to power a card.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
and AGAIN, I had already told you that the psu he had would only make about 12-14 amps when new. you keep looking at the freaking wattage when it was the amps I told you to look at all along. the 160 watt psu he linked to changed nothing really from what I have said since it was rated at 12 amps when new which I already mentioned earlier. even if he would have had the 220/250 watt with 14 amps when new, then NOTHING would have changed because the old psu would be too weak after all these years to power a card.
Drive your Toyota off a cliff I am done with you. Next post from you to me will be an automatic post from me to the mods REASON ! Trolling

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Drive your Toyota off a cliff I am done with you. Next post from you to me will be an automatic post from me to the mods REASON ! Trolling
so you think you can post whatever nonsense you like and I cannot reply? lol

anybody can look through this thread to see that it was you giving bad advice and not even paying attention to the details of what was being discussed. :rolleyes:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
>Slimline case
>160W PSU
>Athlon X2 5400+

Yeah... not good. I'm running an X2 5200+ and a 9600GT, but I don't do anything resembling "modern gaming." If it was just the issue of the CPU, you could squeeze by on an 5400+, but since you're gonna need a new case and PSU to even put in a $35 used 9600GT it doesn't seem worth it.

The good news is that you should be able to get $150 for that computer.

I'd do this:
untitled.jpg

And look for a used 4870 for ~$50.
The 4870 is the equal of the 5770 which sells in the $75 range used. If you can't find one for $50-60, I'd jump up to a GTX 460 which you should be able to find for ~$85.

Alternately, user wdb1966 has a E6850 build for sale for $250:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=221881
The E6850 is only a hair slower than the G850 in gaming, so it saves you $80 off the top of a new build.

Last edited:

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Guys, we are trying to help a fellow member here. Some of you are not helping at all.

Gordon Freemen, some of your posts (Posts #18, #31, and #38) are out of line. This is not how we handle disagreements here. It is also not a crime to be wrong or mistaken. Just take it in stride, we all learn something new each day, or at least hope to. That's the beauty of being a member here - you not only share what you know, you get to increase what you know, provided you are receptive to it.

Toyota, Post #39 was a bit too harsh. I appreciate the restraint you have shown here, I really do. But Gordon Freemen is a fresh new member, let's cut him a little more slack, and Post #39 is part of the thread derail that shouldn't really be in this discussion.

Let's not turn this into a big issue, so let's all walk away from the everything that isn't directly about helping the OP (especially personal squabbles), and just resume answering the OP's question, no more derails, ok?

Moderator jvroig

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Guys, we are trying to help a fellow member here. Some of you are not helping at all.

Gordon Freemen, some of your posts (Posts #18, #31, and #38) are out of line. This is not how we handle disagreements here. It is also not a crime to be wrong or mistaken. Just take it in stride, we all learn something new each day, or at least hope to. That's the beauty of being a member here - you not only share what you know, you get to increase what you know, provided you are receptive to it.

Toyota, Post #39 was a bit too harsh. I appreciate the restraint you have shown here, I really do. But Gordon Freemen is a fresh new member, let's cut him a little more slack, and Post #39 is part of the thread derail that shouldn't really be in this discussion.

Let's not turn this into a big issue, so let's all walk away from the everything that isn't directly about helping the OP (especially personal squabbles), and just resume answering the OP's question, no more derails, ok?

Moderator jvroig
I was not wrong or out of line I simply posted to OP "160 watt PSU please upgrade that PSU before you do anything else." and I still stand by this post of mine 100%+

Mod challenges are not allowed in the public forums for a number of reasons.

First, it is off-topic and a thread-derail. Your rebuttal of a moderator statement has nothing to do with the thread title.

Second, all discussions relating to moderator actions are to be conducted in the Moderator Discussions subforum per the posting guidelines.

12) Do not contact individual moderators. Please report violations of these guidelines by using the "report post" feature located below the poster's username and postcount on the left-hand side of their post (look for the
report.gif
symbol). Please direct all questions about specific moderator actions to our Moderator Discussions sub-forum. Please be patient with moderation requests and inquiries. Users found in violation of this directive will be given only one warning and pointed in the right direction before further action is taken.

13) Baiting moderators will not be tolerated nor will Mod Call Outs. Any action that reasonably can be considered baiting a moderator, or multiple consecutive actions that heavily push the boundaries of any of these guidelines will result in an instant short term vacation. Repeated violation of this rule may result in a permaban.

Administrator Idontcare

Cool story bro !

Removing moderator comments and following them up with posting Mod challenges is not allowed in the public forums.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
That's what you said in #23, and the moderator commented about posts #18, #31 and #38 being out of line. Regardless, if you don't like it, that is a matter you should take up with the mod personally instead of further FUBAR'ing the thread...

@ OP
I agree about selling the old PC, it's lived its days of gaming. You can make a new thread in General Hardware about the new budget rig, remember to fill the sticky

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
That's what you said in #23, and the moderator commented about posts #18, #31 and #38 being out of line. Regardless, if you don't like it, that is a matter you should take up with the mod personally instead of further FUBAR'ing the thread...

@ OP
I agree about selling the old PC, it's lived its days of gaming. You can make a new thread in General Hardware about the new budget rig, remember to fill the sticky
POST #23 was what got Member "Toyota" all in a tizzy and I stand by it. I will no longer be bated by member "Toyota" and if the mods want to play favorites then that's there prerogative abeit however backward it might be. To the OP I still stand firm that your OEM 160watt PSU should be your next upgrade before replacing your GPU in you rig. Look to Antec, Seasonic/XFX, Silverstone, Corsair are all great options for quality PSUs.

Mod baiting and mod callouts are not allowed in the public forums.

All discussions relating to moderator actions are to be conducted in the Moderator Discussions subforum per the posting guidelines.
13) Baiting moderators will not be tolerated nor will Mod Call Outs. Any action that reasonably can be considered baiting a moderator, or multiple consecutive actions that heavily push the boundaries of any of these guidelines will result in an instant short term vacation. Repeated violation of this rule may result in a permaban.
Administrator Idontcare

edit: restored post after member attempted to remove moderator comments. Removing moderator comments and following them up with posting Mod challenges is not allowed in the public forums.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
As I said, the moderator jvroig didn't comment on post #23 as being out of line.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Because of the CPU, this system is almost at it's death bed. Even upgrading the CPU, video card, and PSU, there's only so much it can do. Don't flog a dead horse.

As someone else has already said, browse the for sale forum. $200 can probably get you a LOT there.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I was not wrong or out of line I simply posted to OP "160 watt PSU please upgrade that PSU before you do anything else." and I still stand by this post of mine 100%

POST #23 was what got Member "Toyota" all in a tizzy and I stand by it. I will no longer be bated by member "Toyota" and if the mods want to play favorites then that's there prerogative abeit however backward it might be. To the OP I still stand firm that your OEM 160watt PSU should be your next upgrade before replacing your GPU in you rig. Look to Antec, Seasonic/XFX, Silverstone, Corsair are all great options for quality PSUs.
you were wrong earlier in the thread and that is fact. in the beginning I gave you all the math to show you how having just 12-14 amps on a a brand new cheap oem psu would not be enough years later on that worn out psu. I clearly told you over and over that a psu like that would not make but about 10 amps or less in realistic conditions at this point which was NOT enough for his system with a video card. the 160 watt psu that you now claim is not acceptable made 12 amps when new which is the range I ALREADY covered earlier but you argued. everyone can see that but you.

the mods already know that it was YOU in the wrong here not me. they are being nice to you and cutting you a break because you are new and they hope you are here to learn. its obvious that you are going to continue to argue and stand by your posts no matter how wrong you are though.

Last edited:

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
There are people selling replacement power supplies ranging from 200W to 300W and priced from $35 to $60 dollars on eBay for that computer.

The CPU you have (X2 5400) is an 89W .65nm CPU. You could very well upgrade that cpu to a faster Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Brisbane 89W CPU or a nearly as fast Athlon X2 5050e 45W and have more headroom for a faster video card.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
There are people selling replacement power supplies ranging from 200W to 300W and priced from $35 to $60 dollars on eBay for that computer.

The CPU you have (X2 5400) is an 89W .65nm CPU. You could very well upgrade that cpu to a faster Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Brisbane 89W CPU or a nearly as fast Athlon X2 5050e 45W and have more headroom for a faster video card.
not that it matters much but that should be a 65w 5400+ X2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=5#scrollFullInfo

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I'm trying to upgrade an old computer so my 11yr old can play modern games like Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, etc...

It is a HP Pavilion Slimiline s3500f (not much room!)
AMD Athlon x2 5400+
4gb ram
nvidia geforce 6150se (on board)

it has 1 PCI x16 slot and 1 PCI slot...

What's by best bet for a video card?
Could I put everything in a larger case to solve the room issue?
Or is this a hopeless cause?

Thanks!

Sell the old and get a better one used or new.

ps. Im not trying to play the parent here and certainly im not telling you what to do but I wouldn't let him play those two games being that yang.