Best PCI Video Card?

JagrPuck

Apr 6, 2002
Ok, call me stupid and call me idiotic... but I need a GOOD PCI video card. My PC's (both of them) have NO AGP slots whatsoever. I need a PCI card that can handle things like UT2K3, WC3, and other up and coming games like Age of Mythology, all at a high resolution and good FPS, not the best, but GOOD. I have a 21" Nokia monitor that is able to reach 2048 resolution with 60 HZ (low but meh.. got the monitor for like $200). What's my best selection for price and for power?

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002

I'm new here, but I think others will tell you the same. The best PCI card will probably be the Radeon 9000 64mb PCI. You will have to wait a couple of weeks to get it, though. Powercolor's version is supposed to reach the US by the end of the month and according to their office in California, will probably be priced around $100, although they don't know exactly (I called them earlier today because I will soon be upgrading my PCI card, as well). Hercules also has their own version now, but as near as I can tell, you can only buy it in Europe right now. I got an e-mail reply from one of Hercules' distributors telling me I could order it from their website, www.ldlc.com (unfortunately, the site was all in French). If you can't wait for the 9000, then the best card available now should be the Nvidia MX440 PCI 64mb. You can find it on E-bay and Pricewatch.com for about $90, plus shipping. I happen to be fortunate enough to live in Houston, where the company Amamaxx (sp?) is located (the one on Pricewatch), so I think I can order it and pick it up for $88, which I may do because I don't really want to wait for the 9000. The 9000 is supposed to have more features than the MX440 and is probably somewhat faster, but you'll have to ask someone else for the details on how and why. There have been previous threads with this topic. Hopefully that wasn't too long winded. And if I got anything wrong, someone here should point it out. Hope that helps.