Best PC Gaming villains

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
IDK if it was a villain, or if it was just a giant brain controlling all the smaller Metroids. But Main boss from the original NES Metroid.
Always loved that game.

The Castlevania games as well.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Specifically, villains of PC gaming only? That means not even games ported to consoles? Or would that mean that the game had to come out on PC first?

But anyway, I have to come up with my choices so I'll go with:

- Kane, C&C (of course his C&C1 version is iconic, but I preferred him in Tiberian Sun; and he was alright in C&C 3 Kane's Wrath, too)
- The G-Man, Half-Life (I... guess? Maybe? No one will ever know for sure. Although if you do refuse his offer in H-L1 you end up dead so... I suppose he's a villain; using Gordon as a mere tool)
- Sarah Kerrigan, StarCraft (mostly her SC1 version)
- Xana, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (mostly depending on your own decisions where applicable; but essentially she's there to influence you for her own gains and agenda)

It's actually not easy to come up with ideas in this category. Especially if we have to remain purely on the PC platform. I'm sure there's a lot more but chances are villains of other games I'd come up with have been ported to consoles anyway either long ago, or have been remastered in recent years and found their way to recent consoles too. I mean even from the earlier posts in this thread it didn't take long to go from PC to Console games.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Specifically, villains of PC gaming only? That means not even games ported to consoles? Or would that mean that the game had to come out on PC first?

But anyway, I have to come up with my choices so I'll go with:

- Kane, C&C (of course his C&C1 version is iconic, but I preferred him in Tiberian Sun; and he was alright in C&C 3 Kane's Wrath, too)
- The G-Man, Half-Life (I... guess? Maybe? No one will ever know for sure. Although if you do refuse his offer in H-L1 you end up dead so... I suppose he's a villain; using Gordon as a mere tool)
- Sarah Kerrigan, StarCraft (mostly her SC1 version)
- Xana, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (mostly depending on your own decisions where applicable; but essentially she's there to influence you for her own gains and agenda)

It's actually not easy to come up with ideas in this category. Especially if we have to remain purely on the PC platform. I'm sure there's a lot more but chances are villains of other games I'd come up with have been ported to consoles anyway either long ago, or have been remastered in recent years and found their way to recent consoles too. I mean even from the earlier posts in this thread it didn't take long to go from PC to Console games.

- True, very few games are really "PC only" or even "PC as lead platform" anymore, so to be honest to the title you'd have to really go digging back when there is a true divide between PC gaming and console gaming pre-early 2000's.

I guess I'll add on the following after digging through some of my old manuals:

- The Nameless One (Planescape Torment)
- The Master (Fallout)
- Red Ants (Sim Ant)
- Natural Disasters (Sim City 2000)
- Sister Miriam (Alpha Centauri)
- Ripburger (Full Throttle)
- Zombie Pirate LeChuck (Secret of Monkey Island)
- Bishop Mandible (Loom)

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
The amorphous blob that is activision blizzard.

Many times the worst villain starts out as a hero.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Tycho from the Marathon Trilogy. Great character depth developed across the three games for all three AI's in those games. And Tycho was pretty well done. Though not quite as developed as Durandal.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
I think Professor Hojo (FF7) is unjustly overlooked in favor of the flashier Sephiroth. I think he is the true villain of FF7. Sure, Sephiroth kills Aerith, he destroys Nibelheim, summons meteor, and so on. But all of that was master minded by Hojo. He dug up Jenova, he experimented on her, he used her genetics to create Sephiroth, he pursued Professor Gast and Iflna/Aerith, he experiemented on Iflna and Aerith, he experiments on Zack and Cloud, and it is implied that Hojo purposefully left around evidence of Sephiroth's creation in the Nibelheim mansion for Sephiroth to find that triggers his fall into madness.

Without Hojo FF7 doesn't have the conflict that drives its story. And isn't that the point of a villain? They generate conflict to motivate the hero?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenixgoon