Best paid streaming option to watch Winter Olympics

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Cord cutter for 6 yrs now. All I have is Amazon and Netflix with Amazon Firestick. My MCE OTA can't pick up NBC reliably thus need a streaming option.

Looking for a paid subs for a month to watch all the upcoming Olympics. I don't mind paying for a month (no long term commitment). I read the options of Hulu, Sling, YouTube tv. Anyone recommend one over the other for best Olympic watching? Already told my boss I'm not going to be very productive the rest of this month.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
If you have VPN, CBC in Canada streams it for free, 18 hours live per day

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
This is from NBC wepsite
Every Olympic event will be available to stream live and on-demand on NBCOlympics.com, along with a wide spectrum of highlights and video features. Find the full live stream schedule of all your favorite Winter Olympic events and watch the action live from PyeongChang, South Korea on NBCOlympics.com.

NBC Sports app
Watch on your mobile device, tablet or connected TV by downloading the NBC Sports app, where you'll find every Olympic event available to stream live or on-demand, along with the same immersive library of highlights and video features.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, you should just be able to stream everything directly from NBC. That is how I was able to watch stuff I actually thought was interesting during the last Olympics.

Reactions: manly

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
This is from NBC wepsite
Every Olympic event will be available to stream live and on-demand on NBCOlympics.com, along with a wide spectrum of highlights and video features. Find the full live stream schedule of all your favorite Winter Olympic events and watch the action live from PyeongChang, South Korea on NBCOlympics.com.

NBC Sports app
Watch on your mobile device, tablet or connected TV by downloading the NBC Sports app, where you'll find every Olympic event available to stream live or on-demand, along with the same immersive library of highlights and video features.

Used the sports app on my iPad and AirPlayed it to Apple TV for the Super Bowl last night...worked great.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Gooooooo Chloe Kim!!!!!

The next Shaun White they call her. Competing in this Olympics representing USA & Korean heritage.

chloe_kim_x_games_oslo_2016_4.jpg

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yeah, you should just be able to stream everything directly from NBC. That is how I was able to watch stuff I actually thought was interesting during the last Olympics.
Wait, this can't be true. A U.S. broadcaster is streaming their content with no limitations? I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case for the 2016 Rio games?

Gooooooo Chloe Kim!!!!!

The next Shaun White they call her. Competing in this Olympics representing USA & Korean heritage.
Cuter than Shaun White lol.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/feature/22265441/snowboard-phenom-chloe-kim-lot-riding-winter-olympics

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Wonder if the Koreans will prove as meddlesome as the Russians, when it comes to PEDs? Russia filched urine samples from the labs.

*sorry, this thread is actually about streaming options

Reactions: ctbaars and cbrunny

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Wait, this can't be true. A U.S. broadcaster is streaming their content with no limitations? I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case for the 2016 Rio games?

I used the NBC Sports app for Superbowl and it blanked out during commercials and there were quite a few moments of lag which was annoying. I have 100MB Fios up and down so it's not bandwidth on my end. Also some content on their NBC app required you have subs to access so I wasn't sure if all Olympic content would be available free. Thus that's why I'm looking for a paid one month sub just to get it all outright and not deal with the technical difficulties. Small price to pay.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
This is not the Olympics. This is a joke. Why bother watching it? There's no real competition, because FALSELY ACCUSED athletes from a certain country wont be partaking. Without them, it will be smooth sailing for a certain other country which will get most of the gold medals.

Do you remember that old Zen question? "If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it still make a sound?"

Yeah.. It's sort of the same thing when athletes win without any real competition.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
This is not the Olympics. This is a joke. Why bother watching it? There's no real competition, because FALSELY ACCUSED athletes from a certain country wont be partaking. Without them, it will be smooth sailing for a certain other country which will get most of the gold medals.

funny, I don't see Russia returning their medals from the Moscow games

PS: Russia was never a threat to win the most gold medals anyways

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Russia acknowledged to have committed PED fraud.
Just under 200 of their athletes will be under the "neutral" OAR banner. So they do get to compete. They only had 214 in the Sochi Olympics.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'll be using VPN and watching CBC. I prefer CBC coverage over NBC.

The only reason I'll watch is because the Olympics is in South Korea. I hoping for some payback from Korea to Russia for their cheating at the Sochi games but I doubt Korea has the balls to do it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Do you remember that old Zen question? "If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it still make a sound?"

Yeah.. It's sort of the same thing when athletes win without any real competition.

huh?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010

Ummm, you think state sponsored, (Sochi) Olympic wide blood tampering, openly disclosed by the former director of Russia's national antidoping laboratory, Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov can't be true ? Perhaps you shouldn't watch the games at all.There will be no Russian cheaters there. (BTW some Russian athletes are allowed to compete, but not for Russia ).
But your complaint is baseless on another ground, that of your analogy. When that ole tree hits the ground , yes sir, that there impact makes a very loud noise.
Zen is an eastern approach to life which apparently knows nothing about physics.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I used the NBC Sports app for Superbowl and it blanked out during commercials and there were quite a few moments of lag which was annoying. I have 100MB Fios up and down so it's not bandwidth on my end. Also some content on their NBC app required you have subs to access so I wasn't sure if all Olympic content would be available free. Thus that's why I'm looking for a paid one month sub just to get it all outright and not deal with the technical difficulties. Small price to pay.
Obviously (yet surprisingly) it is true:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/can-nbcs-south-korea-olympics-rebound-rio-1080054

I'm not quite sure I like it either. It was bad enough when I'd be glued to a 4 hour nightly broadcast that had about 30% of airtime in ads (I know, sad to admit that). But now I can stream coverage during the daytime at work too? I'll never be able to get anything done for the next 2 weeks!

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
As others have pointed out, NBC plans to stream everything live. If you have problems with that though, you might try DirecTV NOW - I loathe DirecTV, but NOW has a trial period. (Or at least recently did and I assume they still do.)

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
funny, I don't see Russia returning their medals from the Moscow games

PS: Russia was never a threat to win the most gold medals anyways

Wrong. They are the biggest threat, and that is why they were banned this time.

Russia acknowledged to have committed PED fraud.

Who said that? CNN? To my best knowledge they never admitted to anything. And even i they did, they certainly did not admit to any wrongdoing on the scale matching that portrayed in the western media.

Ummm, you think state sponsored, (Sochi) Olympic wide blood tampering, openly disclosed by the former director of Russia's national antidoping laboratory, Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov can't be true ?

That is exactly what I think. There is exactly ZERO proof. ZERO. None, whatsoever. Watch something other than CNN. Go online and read some real news.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/374696-rodchenkov-criminal-doping-whistleblower/

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Wrong. They are the biggest threat, and that is why they were banned this time.

Who said that? CNN? To my best knowledge they never admitted to anything. And even i they did, they certainly did not admit to any wrongdoing on the scale matching that portrayed in the western media.

That is exactly what I think. There is exactly ZERO proof. ZERO. None, whatsoever. Watch something other than CNN. Go online and read some real news.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/374696-rodchenkov-criminal-doping-whistleblower/
I'm all for trashing CNN. But it's funny you decided to call out CNN. Fox News is just as absolute steamin' pile of crap. I hope you don't even think for a moment Fox News is any atoms better.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So...ibex just came out as a Russian troll? Good to know.

As for the "alleged" Russian doping that he denies...

https://sports.yahoo.com/russia-banned-winter-olympics-still-showed-full-force-052325102.html

Just to recap, the Russians didn’t just supply performance-enhancing drugs to scores of athletes. We’ve seen that act before. This time it constructed an actual building in Sochi next to the laboratory that tested athlete samples. It then drilled a small hole in the shared wall. Each night after the lab closed, it had workers on either side pass clean samples in and dirty samples out.

A few predictable things happened. Russia won the most medals. No Russians tested positive for PEDs. The man who orchestrated it, Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov, who much later acknowledged the scheme, was awarded a prestigious honor by Russian President Vladimir Putin. Once the scam was uncovered, Rodchenkov fled to America fearing for his safety, which seems reasonable after two of his cohorts turned up dead. Just a coincidence, of course.