Best OS for home NAS? QNAP's custom QTS os looks great

unseengundam101

Oct 26, 2005
I am thinking of building a new home NAS to replace my old CentOs one. One of shortcoming of my old setup is amount of tinkering and CMD usage needed to get everything setup.

Looking at the best OS system for home NAS let me to QNAP's custom QTS os for their NASes. https://www.storagereview.com/review/qnap-qts-4-3-x-review

The review and other features from snapshots, backup, Plex media server all sounds great and seem very easy to setup!

Any idea if I should ditch the idea of building my own NAS with CentOs/FreeNAS and go with QNAP just because of its operating system? Anyone know if QTS os really is as good as it seems?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly, it IS pretty nice, easy-to-use, and full-featured, for a NAS OS.

I own several QNAP/QTS NAS units, and they seem more full-featured and less buggy overall than my Asustor NAS unit (probably 2 years old by now).

The problem is the price of the QNAP units, they tend to be rather expensive. Asustor gives you more hardware and more performance for the price, but their NAS OS isn't as fully-developed/featured as QTS OS.

Reactions: unseengundam101

unseengundam101

Oct 26, 2005
Honestly, it IS pretty nice, easy-to-use, and full-featured, for a NAS OS.

I own several QNAP/QTS NAS units, and they seem more full-featured and less buggy overall than my Asustor NAS unit (probably 2 years old by now).

The problem is the price of the QNAP units, they tend to be rather expensive. Asustor gives you more hardware and more performance for the price, but their NAS OS isn't as fully-developed/featured as QTS OS.

That helps, I am leaning towards QTS OS. As nice it was to my own linux server, it can become a time consuming.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
I've finally gotten around to exploring NAS options myself. I'm currently trialing Unraid and really enjoying it.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
the cmd thing does not bother me, so I will continue using my distro of late, Debian.
I used to do freebsd for the same reason. It's been so long I can't remember why I tried Debian, but I had a redhat side trip in there and ubuntu too.
off topic but anybody remember the knoppix liveCD craze?

Oneto

Apr 2, 2017
I own two QNAP NASs and and very happy with them. The OS is definitely a major selling point for me. Everything just works and its easy to navigate.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just got a Qnap NAS a few days ago, and I'm really loving it for the most part.
VirtualLarry was right though, it wasn't cheap. However, when I compared it to a Synology, IMO, Qnap gives you more hardware wise. Software goes
to Synology though, or so I've been told. Qnap has a bunch of third party apps, and I've already found one that wouldn't work with my NAS.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Freenas is working well for me, I have also heard of one called Easynas which you may want to check out. That is if you already have the hardware you built yourself.