Best options for VOIP or other when overseas

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Hey all, I just moved overseas (EU) and am currently investigating mobile options. I still have my t-mobile account but that won't be active much longer. I'm going to port my number over to google voice and then likely get local service of some kind. What I'm curious about is what options are out there for communicating around Europe and back to the US?

I'll have a work mobile so this would purely be for personal use. I can just ask all my family and friends to install viber or whatsapp and get a local contract that has low min and high data, I just wanted to see what others options there may be that I'm not considering.

So how does the average highly paid international ATOT playboy communicate while aboard?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You know with TMobile wifi calling you can call anywhere in the US for free right?

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
You know with TMobile wifi calling you can call anywhere in the US for free right?

Yup, but tmobile says they will deactivate my account if the phone does not ping a US tower every so often. Plus that would require me to maintain a tmobile account plus a local account, something I'm trying to avoid.

That wifi calling the US for free has been a life saver with all my work travel overseas. But now that I live overseas, it won't be of much use for long. Though at this point it's mostly moot anyway as my nexus 6P does not seem to like to wifi call.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I've heard people taking their Ooma boxes overseas. Never done it so don't know how well it works.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Tmobile wifi calling still counts against monthly minutes, so only free with unlimited min plan. I have the inverse 100 min voice, unlimited data.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
If you're doing google voice anyway, just use hangouts and get a local plan with high data.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
If you're doing google voice anyway, just use hangouts and get a local plan with high data.

I just discovered that. There is a local plan for 20 euro that gives me 15gb a month. I'll add another 10 or so euro to get some local min, but that data should cover me for calls back to/from the US and surfing. Now I just need to port over my current tmo number to gv and I'll be good to go.

Last question then, SMS. It sounds like receiving SMS to my GV number will work just fine through hangouts as it will come in via data. However, sending SMS would use my local contracts messaging allotment and would count as intl as far as I can tell. So it looks like messaging would work best via skype, facebook, viber, whatsapp, etc... but not using my GV number.

Fun times!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I just discovered that. There is a local plan for 20 euro that gives me 15gb a month. I'll add another 10 or so euro to get some local min, but that data should cover me for calls back to/from the US and surfing. Now I just need to port over my current tmo number to gv and I'll be good to go.

Last question then, SMS. It sounds like receiving SMS to my GV number will work just fine through hangouts as it will come in via data. However, sending SMS would use my local contracts messaging allotment and would count as intl as far as I can tell. So it looks like messaging would work best via skype, facebook, viber, whatsapp, etc... but not using my GV number.

Fun times!
Who do you send SMS to? If you know the carrier, a lot of them have Email equivalents.... (Verizon, for instance is phone_number@vtext.com)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yup, but tmobile says they will deactivate my account if the phone does not ping a US tower every so often. Plus that would require me to maintain a tmobile account plus a local account, something I'm trying to avoid.

That wifi calling the US for free has been a life saver with all my work travel overseas. But now that I live overseas, it won't be of much use for long. Though at this point it's mostly moot anyway as my nexus 6P does not seem to like to wifi call.

You probably have a fair amount of time - I spent 3.5 months in Canada last year and they didn't seem to care.

11thHour

Feb 20, 2004
Fwiw, Voip.ms has servers in Amsterdam, London, Melbourne, and Paris. Skype is another option.