Best Optimized BOINC Client

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Well like the title says, what is the best optimized boinc client and where can I download it? Found some with google, but I'm not sure which one works best. I need to crunch more!! :D

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
I'm sure they're based on his latest editon before he withdrew them from the SETI site, but I can't tell for sure.

Greg should know, he gave the link to me a while ago.

BMC calling Greg, you hear me? ;)

The Borg

Apr 9, 2006
Hi,

I just downloaded the files and tried to copy them to my BOINC folder. They are dated exactly the same as the previous optimised files I have. I thing they are from crunch3r.

I have been using them on all my Windows machines. With projects like QMC and Xtremlab, I am getting very good results. No problems.

Stalin PoG

Aug 9, 2006
I downloaded the SSE2 client for both of my computers(Celeron 2.4GHz and P4 HT 3.0 GHz), but it doesn't seem to have any user-noticeable effect on the crunching speed.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Those are basically only to boost your benchmark scores and to get you more claimed credit. They do not speed up the crunching speed. ;)

Stalin PoG

Aug 9, 2006
Oh... okay. :)

EDIT: So maybe it has something to do with my screwed up VTU@home stats, where my Recent Average Credit is MUCH larger than the Total Credit.

Stalin PoG

Aug 9, 2006
That's only for S@H and will need updating as soon as setiathome_enhanced 5.17 is copied from S@H beta to the non-beta (is it already?)

SirUlli

Jan 13, 2003
with the right app.xml

there is no need to change

regards from Germany
Sir Ulli

Stalin PoG

Aug 9, 2006
The S@H application will be eventually upgraded and then we have to wait until the author writes a new optimized S@H client.

Stalin PoG

Aug 9, 2006
Strange...

I was still using the Setiathome_enhanced 5.15 before I changed to the SSE2 optimized version.

By the way, that is a whole lot of workunits.

imported_Questar

Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: amdxborg
Well like the title says, what is the best optimized boinc client and where can I download it? Found some with google, but I'm not sure which one works best. I need to crunch more!! :D

Boinc itself is a client-server application. It uses next to zero cpu time. There's really nothing to optimize as all it does is run the applications provided by the projects.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Questar

Boinc itself is a client-server application. It uses next to zero cpu time. There's really nothing to optimize as all it does is run the applications provided by the projects.
Wow so the hundred+ computers where I replaced the boinc.exe and boinc.dll files with optimized ones two or something months ago that showed a increase in output was actually due to a increase in my stupidity.. yeah right. J/K But seriously, boinc gets optimized, maybe just not in the sence of the word you're thinking of.

http://www.boincsynergy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2307
"What is a optimized BOINC client?
The optimized BOINC client is also based on the official version of the BOINC client, but the changes are not aimed to increase performance. It is rather designed to correct some of the credit calculation problems that arise with the use of the optimized applications. It uses a altered benchmark test, that should better reflect the processing power per Whetstone/Dhrystone while a advanced instruction set is in use.
The optimized BOINC client is not required to run the optimized applications - both work independently. "

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Wow so the hundred+ computers where I replaced the boinc.exe and boinc.dll files with optimized ones two or something months ago that showed a increase in output was actually due to a increase in my stupidity.. yeah right. J/K But seriously, boinc gets optimized, maybe just not in the sence of the word you're thinking of.
Well, let's say you're running 100 computers and uses the "official" BOINC-client, all computers runs 24/7, and is only running CPDN coupled model (or BBC/CPDN). Also, let's say the average speed is 2 s/TS, meaning on average 1.66666 trickles/day.

Upgrading all 100 computers to "optimized" BOINC-client and you continues to run the CPDN coupled model 24/7, and surprise, surprise, the computers will continue to on average use 2 s/TS, and trickle 1.666666 times/day...

While it can look different in the "claimed credit"-part and "granted credit"-part for other projects, the reality is that if a Rosetta@home-wu that takes 12345 seconds to generate 13 "targets" or whatever it's called while running with unoptimized BOINC-client, the exact same Rosetta@home-wu on same computer and that generates 13 targets, will also use use 12345 seconds even if you runs optimized BOINC-client...

Meaning, "science done running unoptimized BOINC-client" = "science done running optimized BOINC-client".

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Agreed, but.. "stats done running unoptimized BOINC-client" x= "stats done running optimized BOINC-client"

For most it's maybe about the science, for me it's mostly about the stats. Call me what you like, but the day a cure is found for cancer or aliens are found with dc, will be the day I just might see it differently.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Agreed, but.. "stats done running unoptimized BOINC-client" x= "stats done running optimized BOINC-client"

For most it's maybe about the science, for me it's mostly about the stats. Call me what you like, but the day a cure is found for cancer or aliens are found with dc, will be the day I just might see it differently.

Well, CPDN, SETI@home and Einstein@home doesn't care about the BOINC-benchmark, and Rosetta@home is currently alpha-testing their new credit-system... This leaves a bunch of smaller projects that together has roughly 6% of production, and most of them again uses redundancy... So, if you're not only running the couple projects that doesn't use redundancy, looking for the "best" optimized BOINC-client is a waste of time, since you'll get roughly the same credit with the official client...

Not to forget, AFAIK all optimized BOINC-clients is older than latest official v5.4.11, and atleast if you're running Trux v5.3.xx or earlier clients, due to bug-fixes my recommendation is to upgrade...

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Well thanks as always for you're insightful info RD, I'll keep it in mind.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
5.4.11 doesn't contain any bugfixes but the one with McAfee screwing up TCP communication between client and app. So, that's not really a point for going back to the official ones ...

My 2 cents

:)

imported_Questar

Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Questar

http://www.boincsynergy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2307
"What is a optimized BOINC client?
The optimized BOINC client is also based on the official version of the BOINC client, but the changes are not aimed to increase performance. It is rather designed to correct some of the credit calculation problems that arise with the use of the optimized applications. It uses a altered benchmark test, that should better reflect the processing power per Whetstone/Dhrystone while a advanced instruction set is in use.
The optimized BOINC client is not required to run the optimized applications - both work independently. "

Oh, you said you wanted to crunch more.

You meant you wanted to cheat for more points.

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
@ Questar:

We consider accusing people of cheating bad tone in the forums. We had that discussion before, it didn't go well, and we as a forum decided to let everybody do as he or she choses to do with the optimized clients. After all, it's the science that benefits the most. Because if a monster cruncher like amdxborg decided to be a "stats junky" - sorry Johan ;) - he still crunches a whole lot of WUs for the scientific projects, and I don't really care how many points he get for them, as long as the results are valid.

So, if you can't live with other people getting more credit for the same ammount of work as you do, either use optimized clients yourlsef or stop whining, you won't change a thing. Only the projects themselves and BOINC itself can make a even playing field, if they chose to.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Thanx Chris and yeah, I'm not gonna stay behind while others get ahead. I like stats and if that makes me the worst persone alive, well then so be it. If it was cheating, I'm sure it would not have been allowed on the scale it is and I am NOT a cheater, if I thought it was cheating I would not do it. No hard feelings Questar, but I'm just a player in the dc stats game, so don't blame the player, blame the game. Oh and if you read what the optimizes clients actually does you'd see that you don't get more points, you just get the right points for using the optimized applications.