best news group server?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
I've used easynews and newshosting. I preferred newshosting out of those two.

However, right now, I'm Usenet-free as I canceled by subscription. Just using the 2GB Comcast/Giganews free that I get with Comcast. Found one of two things, either I was d/l'ing a ton of stuff or I would go a month without d/l'ing anything.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: Special K
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Astraweb. :cool:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/index.html

I like their pay as you go plan, but I'm lucky to average 100KB/sec from any of their servers, whereas I can get close to 1MB/sec. from easynews.

I get ~400-500 kBps on their servers. If you get slow speed, stop the channel and refresh it. That will reconnect you to another server methinks.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Newshosting by a long shot... Best bang for the buck, hands down. Huge retention, very very good uptime, great speeds (10Mbps+), and a low price. Giganews provides service that is more or less similar but it is more expensive.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Special K
Astraweb. :cool:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/index.html

I like their pay as you go plan, but I'm lucky to average 100KB/sec from any of their servers, whereas I can get close to 1MB/sec. from easynews.

I get ~400-500 kBps on their servers. If you get slow speed, stop the channel and refresh it. That will reconnect you to another server methinks.

I get about the same speeds. No complaints with astraweb.

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
i use usenetserver.com because its like $40/3 months... if giganews wasnt freakin 25/mo i'd be more apt to go for it - but since I only use it for tv episodes i can't dvr i dont need to spend that much money.

MobileLoser

Mar 3, 2007
I use my ATT account server...news.chi.sbcglobal.net. There is no cap (I get 620K) but the selection is somewhat limited. The best server available on it are alt.bin.games.