Best movie to test surround sound?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I am actually planning on testing out Star Trek today. I also have the Band of Brothers so I'll get that going. The Matrix I would love to test if I had it on Bluray, I just have it on regular DVD. Same with Black Hawk Down, SPR, and Gladiator. I'll probably watch them anyway, but I'm expecting the Bluray versions will be better.

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
The Matrix - Lobby Showdown
Saving Private Ryan - Beach Scene
Star Wars - Once they come to BR (If done right, these should easily be a 9.75/10 & used as Reference Material)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if you are testing your enjoyment lots of great choices here but if you want to calibrate it then you should fire pink through each speaker and use a spl meter and adjust the level of each speaker so they match from your listening position.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I just set up my 3.0 "home theater" and must say some of the nice scenes i've watched....

Black Hawk Down- when they are moving through the city street and the "skinny" is waiting with his 50cal. The rpg and just thump thump thump of the 50 cal is amazing

The Matrix - Lobby Scene. i think i preferred BHD personally but was still nice

Saving Private Ryan - beach scene. Explosions and gun shot galore.

Really any action movie is going to be great. heck even Modern Warfare 2 was nice to play :)

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Well I watched Star Trek and although it was fantastic, I still think Sunshine was better. The only bluray war movie I have is the BoB collection, so I'll check them out next. It shouldn't disappoint. If any of you have never seen Sunshine, check it out. Great film.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
i think sunshine was good. ridiculous idea (re-igniting the sun :awe:) but a very good movie.

I loved it. The plot is kind of meh. but the effects and music score is superb. I've probably watched the movie 10 times just for the music. the acting aint shabby at all either :)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you are looking for sub bottoming, foundation destroying LFE content, Cloverfield is insane.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
The best explosions I've ever heard were in The Hurt Locker. Super low and punchy as hell. I could hear my sub bottoming out.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I am actually planning on testing out Star Trek today. I also have the Band of Brothers so I'll get that going. The Matrix I would love to test if I had it on Bluray, I just have it on regular DVD. Same with Black Hawk Down, SPR, and Gladiator. I'll probably watch them anyway, but I'm expecting the Bluray versions will be better.

It'll still sound good on DVD. Matrix lobby scene and the helicopter / minigun. :D

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Holy thread resurrection!

Master and Commander

+1. This is the only movie I've seen that really takes advantage of the rear speakers in a 7.1 system in an "oh my god that was cool" kind of way. Specifically, there are some cannonball shots that you seriously hear going over you head. But the movie is full of little odd sounds here and there that really emphasize the side channels (mostly creaking sounds and knocks that you might hear as you walked through a tall ship - as opposed to dialogue).

Please keep in mind that there might be others that take advantage of 7.1. I haven't sought them out. I just happen to love this movie and it happens to do a great job on a surround sound setup.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yup. Also War of the Worlds, near the beginning when the pods start coming out of the ground :eek:

for a newer movie, pacific rim has an oustanding soundtrack especially LFE wise. felt like i was in an earthquake for the majority of the movie.

black hawk down is also very VERY good. it's like non-stop eargasm from the "f'ing irene" line to the end of the movie.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Yup. Also War of the Worlds, near the beginning when the pods start coming out of the ground :eek:

The pod emerge scene is the one you are talking about

other gems for LFE
Art of Flight - Opening (Alaska)
Flight of the Phoenix (plane crash)
Hulk (ed norton one) fight with abomanation and the Sonic Cannons
Black Hawk Down - Irene - this hits 5 HZ and if your sub cant play that low you wont feel anything, but if it can, your house will start to come apart

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The DVD special edition version of Toy Story 2. It had a 5.1 digital sound effects only mode for the whole movie. Pretty cool sounds.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
War of the Worlds to test your speakers excursion ability xD

Nice necro of 3 year old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.