Best monitor(s) for remote access to a dual 24" 1920x1080 setup?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
At work I run a VNC session on a dual 24" 1920x1080 setup. At home I currently have a single 24" 1920x1080 monitor. This makes working remotely a pain because I have to use scrollbars to access the whole workspace.

I am wondering what type of monitor setup at home would be best for remote access to my work setup. When I work from home, I run a virtual machine and then access the VPN and VNC session from there. This has the effect of reducing the amount of screen real estate available for viewing my workspace because some of it gets taken up by the virtual machine window. For that reason, a dual 24" 1920x1080 setup at home would not work.

So far the only options I can see are the following:

single 34" ultrawide (3440 x 1440)
dual 27" 1440p (5120 x 1440)
single 27" 4K monitor (3840 x 2160)

I've heard the 34" ultrawides have backlight bleeding problems, but not having a bezel dividing the screen would be nice.

Other than work, I would use the monitors for movie/TV watching and occasional gaming (usually FPS) if it makes any difference.

I plan to upgrade my video card to support whatever option I choose, but if one option requires a significantly more expensive video card than another, I would take that into consideration.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Why are you using VNC?

In an RDP session your resolution need not be the same as the target machine.

I am using VNC because I have to.

I have a VNC server running on a shared linux box at work. At my desk at work I have a PC running win7 and a VNC Viewer that I use to access the VNC server on the linux box. All of my actual "work" happens on the linux box.

The vnc server is set to use close to the exact resolution of my 2x24" monitors at work (3840x1080). I have to reduce the y dimension a bit to account for the height of the windows taskbar and the vnc viewer window border, otherwise I end up with a vertical scrollbar.

When I launch the VNC viewer from my win7 work desktop, I can then maximize it across both monitors and it fits exactly with no scrollbars.

I am asking what monitor setup at home would be best, given that while at home I have to run our VPN client and VNC Viewer from within a virtual machine (VirtualBox in this case) due to security restrictions.

If I were to use 2x24" monitors at home (3840x1080), open VNC Viewer from within VirtualBox, then maximize the VNC window, I would get at least a vertical scrollbar because the VirtualBox and VNC window borders (top and bottom) would already be taking up some of the available 1080 pixels of height resolution. It looks like there is no horizontal border on either the VirtualBox or VNC windows, so I don't think there would be any horizontal scrollbar if I were to use 2x24" monitors at home.

My goal is to have a setup that allows me to access this VNC server from within a virtual machine without getting any scrollbars. Any of the 3 options I presented seem like they would work, but I wanted to get some opinions of the potential pros/cons of each.

Last edited:

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I am using VNC because I have to.

I am asking what monitor setup at home would be best, given that while at home I have to run our VPN client VNC Viewer from within a virtual machine (VirtualBox in this case) due to security restrictions.

I know that it is probably not within your power to change but it sounds like a poor solution to security concerns.

As for the monitor, since you can change the resolution while within VNC my suggestion would be to buy a monitor you like and just change the resolution when you change where you are logging in from.

I would suggest using powershell for ease of use.

https://kindleit.blogspot.com/2012/09/changing-screen-resolution-with.html

If you load a function and keep open ISE it will be as easy as type "set-resolution 3440 1440" from home and "set-resolution 3840 1080" from work.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I know that it is probably not within your power to change but it sounds like a poor solution to security concerns.

As for the monitor, since you can change the resolution while within VNC my suggestion would be to buy a monitor you like and just change the resolution when you change where you are logging in from.

I would suggest using powershell for ease of use.

https://kindleit.blogspot.com/2012/09/changing-screen-resolution-with.html

If you load a function and keep open ISE it will be as easy as type "set-resolution 3440 1440" from home and "set-resolution 3840 1080" from work.

Are you saying once I start a VNC server in Linux I can change the resolution of the server while it is running without having to restart? I thought the resolution had to be set when the server was created and could then not be changed. This is how I create a VNC server from within linux:

vncserver -geometry 3824x1028 -depth 24

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Are you saying once I start a VNC server in Linux I can change the resolution of the server while it is running without having to restart? I thought the resolution had to be set when the server was created and could then not be changed. This is how I create a VNC server from within linux:

vncserver -geometry 3824x1028 -depth 24

I believe you can, check out the second answer.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15816/changing-the-resolution-of-a-vnc-session-in-linux