Best modified drivers for 6800ultra?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Prove it.
How does one define what is better?

Did you read what I said earlier? Better IQ and better Performance. Those are not "subjective", as no one can deny better framerates.

Also, it's quite easy to optimize for one computer, with specific hardware, but it's a completely different thing to do it for many different hardware configurations and STILL have an improvement over stock drivers.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Also, it's quite easy to optimize for one computer, with specific hardware, but it's a completely different thing to do it for many different hardware configurations and STILL have an improvement over stock drivers.
Oh pu-lease.

Tick all of the optimization boxes and you'll get a better framerate across the board.
Untick all of them and you'll get better IQ across the board.
Then add a few adjustments such as LOD for specific applications and you have a "modded driver".

It's hardly rocket science or magic.

Like I said before I'm sure you're good at what you do but your modded drivers are hardly God's gift to mankind. Everything you bundle with the drivers can be done with far greater precision, flexibility and control by using tools such as Riva Tuner or ATi Tray Tools or manually changing the INF files by hand (as I've done so on a few occasions).

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Oh pu-lease.

Tick all of the optimization boxes and you'll get a better framerate across the board.
Then add a few adjustments such as LOD for specific applications and you have a "modded driver".

Like I said before I'm sure you're good at what you do but your modded drivers are hardly God's gift to mankind. Everything you bundle with the drivers can be done with far greater precision, flexibility and control by using tools such as Riva Tuner or ATi Tray Tools or manually changing the INF files by hand (as I've done so on a few occasions).

You are wrong. Flat out. Period. "Everything you bundle with the drivers can be done with far greater precision, flexibility and control by using tools such as Riva Tuner or ATi Tray Tools or manually changing the INF files by hand". Umm... We change the INF files by hand. The thing is, we have things in there that by using RivaTuner, you would have no idea what they did, unless you did the work and tested them yourself. We do the hard work so you don't have to.

I never said they were "God's gift to mankind". All I said was that there are alot of people who appreciate what they do for them, and appreciate our work. You obviously don't know what work we do, otherwise you wouldn't be attacking me or the modding community. You are attacking something that frankly, from the way you sound, don't understand. If you did, you would appreciate our efforts, and not say things like "Because nVidia's driver engineers are generally a cut above any online modders." We modders have more knowledge of the workings of these drivers than most people, and instead of keeping it to ourselves, we give our knowledge to the community. If you posess this kind of knowledge, why don't you join the modding community, and give back to the community instead of sitting here and being such an asshat to the modders.

But, who am I to say anything about you, because I'm just a well-respected person on many other forums outside of AnandTech...

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You are wrong. Flat out. Period. "Everything you bundle with the drivers can be done with far greater precision, flexibility and control by using tools such as Riva Tuner or ATi Tray Tools or manually changing the INF files by hand".
Explain to me which part is wrong and why.

Umm... We change the INF files by hand.
That doesn't answer the question.

The thing is, we have things in there that by using RivaTuner, you would have no idea what they did, unless you did the work and tested them yourself.
Unless you're an ATi/nVidia driver engineer nobody knows what they do unless you test/research them. What's your point?

All I said was that there are alot of people who appreciate what they do for them, and appreciate our work.
And all I said:
I recommend you stick with official nVidia drivers.
You seemed to take issue with this response and here we are.

You obviously don't know what work we do, otherwise you wouldn't be attacking me or the modding community.
I'm not attacking anyone, I'm backing my claims with facts. If you didn't want to hear my answers for sticking to official drivers you shouldn't have asked.

We modders have more knowledge of the workings of these drivers than most people, and instead of keeping it to ourselves, we give our knowledge to the community.
That's great but it has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

If you posess this kind of knowledge, why don't you join the modding community, and give back to the community instead of sitting here and being such an asshat to the modders.
Uh, why does possesing knowledge then create an automatic requirement to be a public modder? I do mod the drivers for myself based on my needs. These mods are based off official drivers so I know exactly where I stand. Getting modded drivers would be worthless for me because then I'd be modding modded drivers with who knows what changes in them.

But, who am I to say anything about you, because I'm just a well-respected person on many other forums outside of AnandTech...
I thought we were talking about drivers, not public opinion?

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
I asked you why you said to stick with Official NVIDIA drivers. You basically said that NVIDIA's engineers are smarter than we modders. The OP was asking what MODDED drivers are the best for a 6800 Ultra. Most people seem to think that the XG drivers are the best, and recommended them. You then come along and say that you recommend sticking with Official drivers because you think that NVIDIA's engineers are smarter than us. Many people like modded drivers, and we are trying to promote our products, what's wrong with that? Because we would like to get more people using our modded drivers? If you understood what mods we do (which are easily viewable), you wouldn't be saying that "Getting modded drivers would be worthless for me because then I'd be modding modded drivers with who knows what changes in them." Chances are, most of the mods I do are very similar (or the same) as what you do. There's only so much that can be done. We mod drivers because there's more that can be done with them than what NVIDIA does, as frankly, IMO, NVIDIA's drivers by themselves are pretty half-assed.

Uh, why does possesing knowledge then create an automatic requirement to be a public modder? I do mod the drivers for myself based on my needs.

I never said having the knowledge created an automatic requirement to be a public modder. That's not what I meant at all. I simply issued a challenge to see what "skills" you do have, as your skills are obviously better than mine. As the old saying goes, "put up, or shut up" ;) .

I also don't believe that you truly understand what we do because of statements like this:

Oh pu-lease.

It's really not that simple. If it was, then there would be HUNDREDS of types of modified drivers out there, but there isn't. It takes alot more than that to mod drivers. Mod an INF yourself (I'll know if you stole it) and we'll see how good you "really" are. If you are as good as you say, I'll shut up, and respect your opinion, as you would have proved that you know what you're talking about. If not, your point becomes moot, as you were just "talking sh!t" with nothing to back it up, and you get caught with your pants down ;) .

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You basically said that NVIDIA's engineers are smarter than we modders.
Correct. nVidia driver engineers have superior knowledge than anyone who doesn't have access to the internal workings of the driver and anyone who hasn't studied/developed the source code. All we can do is research and observe and from that make some kind of deductions as to what's happening.

Many people like modded drivers, and we are trying to promote our products, what's wrong with that?
Nothing. Likewise what is wrong with recommending official drivers?

Chances are, most of the mods I do are very similar (or the same) as what you do.
Perhaps; but I doubt that very much.

I simply issued a challenge to see what "skills" you do have, as your skills are obviously better than mine
I didn't say that at all. What I said was that for my needs my mods are better than yours are, hence it's advantageous for me to start with base drivers and work from there.

Mod an INF yourself (I'll know if you stole it) and we'll see how good you "really" are.
Again it comes back to the same question: what is good? My mods are useless to anyone that doesn't have my specific requirements. What is good for one person isn't good for another which is why in general the base driver + tweaker like Riva Tuner/ATi Tray Tools is the best option.

You're claiming that either my mods are better than yours or they are worse which is a false dilemma logical fallacy.

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
I am asking you to provide a modded INF with your tweaks. You seem to not want to do this, therefore I doubt the validity of your statements.

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
Ive been using these drivers for a day now and ill say that modded drivers are great. I havent run into problems playing all my installed games. BFG I wont dis your preference on using official drivers but modded drivers are good for unexperienced people who want a easy boost in framerates and IQ. Like myself for instance, I could care less whats in modded drivers as long as they boost performance(not that i would know wtf is in drivers anyway). I understand you modify drivers personally for yourself thats great just dont down modified drivers or the people that make them, as many have benefited from their work.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
If I were to post the INF you would get very little out of it, if anything at all. In most cases there's no need to mod the INF because tweaker utilities are used after the driver is installed.

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
So then you don't have anything to post. It's that simple. I told you, if you posted it, I would shut up, as I would respect your opinion about the modded drivers, as you have something to back up your claims. It just looks to me like you don't have anything to back up your claims. Period. Otherwise, you would post it with no fuss.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not sure if this is related to the Xtreme-G drivers, but I've recently noticed that when viewing video files with VMR7/9 output, I see a lot of obvious banding, as if I was on 8bit color or something. I don't remember seeing this before, and the only thing I remember changing recently is from the official 81.94 to the Xtreme-G 81.89. I tried changing players and decoders, but it seems to be player/decoder independent. Does anyone else see this?

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I found out what the problem was. Apparently after I installed the drivers, the color depth was set to 16bit instead of 32bit. Doh.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I told you, if you posted it, I would shut up, as I would respect your opinion about the modded drivers, as you have something to back up your claims.
I'm not really concerned who or what you respect; my original recommendation to use official drivers and my comments about modded drivers still stand.

It just looks to me like you don't have anything to back up your claims.
It looks to me like the point of my comments have flown completely over your head because you're too busy nursing a bruised ego.

You mod drivers. Not everyone needs or wants to use modded drivers. Get over it.

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
No, but you come in here and stomp all over me and modded drivers because you are too scared to use them yourself. You keep making excuses on why you won't post an INF. It's because you are afraid you'll get found out for the fraud you are. Give me a break. If you want to attack me, do it via PM's. NOT public forum. You seem to have forgotten what the OP was talking about "Best modified drivers for 6800ultra". Notice no "official" in that title? MODDED DRIVERS is what he was asking about. The you come in here and crap all over the thread. You need to get over that not everyone is as scared as you are about modded drivers. You don't use modded drivers because you are afraid of them. The XG drivers are (by many, if not most) considered the best out there. Why? It's not because we have no idea what we are doing, its because we have the knowledge necessary to make existing drivers better. Obviously you don't have this knowledge. Go crap on another thread, a$$.

Sparky19692

Nov 21, 2004
WOW BFG looks like you where Spanked LOL :)
FYI all I know about personally modding drivers is ZIP
That is why i say

Thanks Geforce!!!

Fragout!!!

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
No, but you come in here and stomp all over me and modded drivers because you are too scared to use them yourself.
Uh, no.

You keep making excuses on why you won't post an INF.
And you keep continuing with your childish arguments and logical fallacies even while entire points pass over your head. If you can't understand why it's worthless for me to post an INF and why it doesn't prove anything then I can't help you any further. You're going to have to compare your ego to someone else, someone else who actually gives a crap, because I certainly don't.

It's because you are afraid you'll get found out for the fraud you are.
I'll continue to mod the drivers for my purposes and I'll continue to suggest official drivers regardless of whether you think I'm famous or a fraud. Your opinion of me is about as valuable as your modded drivers are to me.

Give me a break. If you want to attack me, do it via PM's. NOT public forum.
Nobody attacked you, I merely recommended using official drivers and then you took issue with that and here we are. Like I said before you need to leave your ego at the door and don't ask questions you're scared of hearing answers to.

You seem to have forgotten what the OP was talking about "Best modified drivers for 6800ultra".
Yes, and I recommended he sticks to official drivers. You got a problem with that?

The you come in here and crap all over the thread.
Funny, I only saw you crapping over the thread about how clever and how famous you are because you can mod drivers. If you hadn't responded my only post would be the recommendation of official drivers. You then asked for responses and when I gave them suddenly I was "thread crapping", obviously because you had no logical counter to them so you had to resort to childish tactics.

You need to get over that not everyone is as scared as you are about modded drivers.
Actually I don't need to do anything.

The XG drivers are (by many, if not most) considered the best out there.
They're not the best for me and not the best for many others but this is obviously a simple concept that has thus-far evaded you. Instead you're more interested in comparing INF sizes and telling us how famous and popular you are.

Obviously you don't have this knowledge.
Obviously you have no clue what you're talking about. Also you're reduced to using school-yard bully tactics "My INF is bigger than yours!", "I'm more famous than you" rather than engaging in intelligent adult conversation.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
WOW BFG looks like you where Spanked LOL :)
He'd like to think so. He'd also like to think he has the biggest INF around, or something.

LOL, each to his own I guess.

Fenuxx

Dec 3, 2004
I'm not trying to say I'm "famous" or that "my INF is bigger than yours". All I was asking is for you to prove that you can do it. Why is that childish, because I don't see it...? I wasn't going to "compare INF sizes" either. I was going to look at the tweaks. If you want to know why, then I'll tell you. I am out to make a product that suits everyone, regardless of their needs. I was going to look at it, and see if there was anything useful or different than what I create, and simply adapt them to my drivers, possibly creating a new version\type. Before you think it, no I wasn't going to "steal" them. In fact, if there was anything at all useful in the INF that I could use, I would have given you credit, just like I give credit to Pieter from LaptopVideo2Go for what I use that he created.

All I asked you was why you recommend Official drivers over Modded drivers, and you started attacking me saying that, basically, I'm not smart enough to make a product worthy of anyones attention. So, in your opinion, that's not a personal attack!? That's "thread crapping" IMO. You constantly Troll people who MIGHT know something more than you do. I've been here at AnandTech long enough to see that. You do it to Rollo and others, now me. YOU have no basis for your attacks, not me. I have no ego to brouse. If I did, then I wouldn't be defending my fellow Modders, only myself, and saying things like "I'm the best modder", or something like that. The fact is, in the big scheme of things with modding, I'm a n00b, and I know it. I've only been modding drivers for a few months, but everything I've done, people have liked. If YOU can't see that, then I can't help YOU... YOU just can't seem to figure out that there are many people that LIKE modded drivers over Official ones. It seems to me that you think you're GOD and are trying to force your opinion on everyone else because you only like Official drivers because Modded drivers "aren't good enough for you". Not everyone agrees with you, and you don't seem to think that.

Daishi from Tweaks R Us said something that applies to you, and I agree with, "There's always 1...". I could care less that you don't use Modded drivers, but when someone starts a thread ASKING about Modded drivers, because they are interested in them, and you come in here all "Gung-Ho, All-Powerful" BFG10K, and start saying crap about Modded drivers, yes, I'm going to take offense at that, because I create a product that I want people to use, and you say try to put in a bad name for the driver, trying to dissuade someone from using a Modded driver because they don't fit YOUR needs. Not everyone has YOUR needs Mr. Almighty, in case you haven't noticed. As I said, go crap on another thread...

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I am out to make a product that suits everyone, regardless of their needs. I was going to look at it, and see if there was anything useful or different than what I create, and simply adapt them to my drivers, possibly creating a new version\type.
You will not get anything useful out of my INF because the majority of the tweaks are modes that are specific to my monitor. The rest of the tweaks are done through Riva Tuner (for nVidia) because there's no need for me to mod the INF. This is what I've been trying to explain to you several times but you just don't seem to get it.

As for ATi, you don't even mod ATi drivers do you? So again, what would be the point of me posting that INF?

All I asked you was why you recommend Official drivers over Modded drivers, and you started attacking me saying that, basically, I'm not smart enough to make a product worthy of anyones attention
That is a strawman, one of your many in this thread. You asked:

Why? Are you scared of modified drivers or something?
To which I replied:

Because nVidia's driver engineers are generally a cut above any online modders.
Are you debating this? Are you trying to tell me you're smarter than an nVidia driver engineer? And why did you think I was scared of drivers? A childish accusation don't you think?

Then after you kept pushing the issue again I responded:

I'm sure you're very good at what you do but I'll stick to official vendor drivers over modded drivers thanks. If you're not having issues with official drivers there's absolutely no reason to go the modded route.
No personal attacks, I just posted an opinion with my reasons and also gave you credit (see the bold). But again you continued pushing the issue, clearly because your ego was bruised and you couldn't stand anyone recommending official drivers over your product.

You caused this problem here, not me. You've been gunning for a fight ever since I recommended official drivers because you obviously can't stand it if somebody doesn't need/want your product.

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
OK both of you end this nonsense! I mean honestly i dont even kno why this thread is still alive, I already got my question answered and gave some feedback. It seems the only purpose for this thread to still exist is to serve for your constant flaming. And BFG i dont care if you were only "responding" to Tony, the fact of the matter is you and him both are now thread crapping. SO STOP!!! If u want to continue take this to PM.