Best Marvel Character

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Juddog
Originally posted by: Justorq
Adam Warlock and Thanos

Thanos Quest was awesome :)

I haven't read any of my comics in years, but the ones I go back to on occasion are the Infinity Gauntlet/Thanos/Warlock/Surfer stories.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: JRich
Ironman

Too bad Ironman got his ass whupped by the Hulk in WWH, and got his ass whupped again by Red Hulk in Hulk #2.

what ticked me off is they started off "civil war" as ironman being behind the "super" mutants. perhaps to cause the registration (wich was hinted his company's had major ties to).

then they just dropped it.

I just like how Tony Stark had 24 hours prep time to fight Hulk and STILL got his ass whupped. He built a custom suit of giant armor, an adamantium spike to shove through Hulk's skull to inject nanobots, and had the Extremis upgrade on top of that, and STILL got stomped.

and rather easy.

personally i was on the hulks side. they shot him into space and then tried to kill him. yeah yeah it was a "accident" that the ship exploded but richards does not make such mistakes.

anyway it was a good series.

Yeah "Planet Hulk" was friggin' awesome. It's what got me into the Hulk, before that I wasn't really interested that much. Planet Hulk + WWH and now Red Hulk, Marvel is making bank off of the Hulk franchise, especially with the new Hulk movie coming out (Edward Norton playing Bruce Banner). I've always liked him as a character as he's always shown to have infinite potential. Even the beyonder himself (from Secret Wars) was surprised that Hulk had literally an infinite amount of energy backing him up.

this WWH stuff was after my time. I loved the Hulk back in the Green (Hulk Smash) >Grey (smart, but less smash)> New Green (Smart + Smash) days. That was good stuff.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
why just marvel? Batman > all superheroes combined... superpowers are for the uncreative :D

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Cliff Notes:
1. Very disappointed with Civil War and general Marvel writing
2. That bastard Josh Wheaton has pretty much killed off my desire to read Xmen or The Runaways (only 6 issues in 12 months, Bastard!) On, and the Xmen story line sucks ass.
3. Iron Fist has one of the best, if not the best art and storyline going in comics (The Programme is probably better but it is by an indepdent of sorts - Wildstorm)

Yeah, the Civil War was a great read and the worst read, all at the same time depending what comic book and who wrote it. I am disappointed by it at the end of the day. I don't mind killing of Captain America but they could have said much, much more and been more biting in their social commentary but they backed off.

And who knows about America? He's supposed to be dead but so was Mar-vell. He was supposed to be dead from cancer, but noooo, he's back because they "snagged" him from a time when we was still alive. So much for continuity.

And Wolverine. Geez, they've made him out to be some sort of immortal who's been in the scene since WWI. Say whut?

Yesterday, I went in to the comic book store and pretty much did away with most of my Marvel titles. The ones I'm keeping are the Avengers, XForce, maybe the Hulk (too early to tell), Captain America, and wow! Iron Fist (is kicking ass!)

Ironman

Too bad Ironman got his ass whupped by the Hulk in WWH, and got his ass whupped again by Red Hulk in Hulk #2.

what ticked me off is they started off "civil war" as ironman being behind the "super" mutants. perhaps to cause the registration (wich was hinted his company's had major ties to).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
Cliff Notes:
2. That bastard Josh Wheaton has pretty much killed off my desire to read Xmen or The Runaways (only 6 issues in 12 months, Bastard!) On, and the Xmen story line sucks ass.
3. Iron Fist has one of the best, if not the best art and storyline going in comics (The Programme is probably better but it is by an indepdent of sorts - Wildstorm)

Yeah, the Civil War was a great read and the worst read, all at the same time depending what comic book and who wrote it. I am disappointed by it at the end of the day. I don't mind killing of Captain America but they could have said much, much more and been more biting in their social commentary but they backed off.

And who knows about America? He's supposed to be dead but so was Mar-vell. He was supposed to be dead from cancer, but noooo, he's back because they "snagged" him from a time when we was still alive. So much for continuity.

And Wolverine. Geez, they've made him out to be some sort of immortal who's been in the scene since WWI. Say whut?

Yesterday, I went in to the comic book store and pretty much did away with most of my Marvel titles. The ones I'm keeping are the Avengers, XForce, maybe the Hulk (too early to tell), Captain America, and wow! Iron Fist (is kicking ass!)

Ironman

Wovlerine has been damn near immortal for al ong time. he would have flash backs to ww1-2 and such. Even before he found out who he was.

Also they started on a story of who and why he and Sabertooth are what they are (bones of some just like them were found in Africa by black panther)

but they added to it by saying since he beat the Angel (forgot his name now) in a battle and won he stay s alive until he losses. now he made a deal with the angel that next dime he dies its for good.

WTF its gotten silly..well siller

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Whoops, I was on such a rant that I forgot the OP.

When I was younger I like Hank Pym when he was the Yellow Jacket.

Now, my favorite either Iron Fist or Luke Cage, who together, I thought were the lamest super heroes when they were introduced.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
Cliff Notes:

Ironman

If you managed to get a copy of Hulk #1, hold onto it, the entire first print sold out. To top it off, with the new Hulk movie coming up, you might be able to get some decent bucks on it in a year or two.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Stiganator
I think one underrated ones is Cypher. Read, write, and understand all languages (spoken, computer etc) without knowing you can.
You forgot his most important mutant power: stopping bullets with his chest. :p His powers are among the most actually useful ones.

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: uhohs
Ironman

oh noes, ironman got beat by a horribly written and overpowered hulk, i can't like him anymore. /cry

Explain how Hulk was horribly written? What works of literature have you written, in order so that I can judge your writing against the writers of the story? If you haven't written anything, then you're obviously a fanboy who's favorite character got beat up so are a little bitter over it.

It's a comic book, get over yourself. Hulk was easily strong enough to hold together the tectonic plates on planet Sakaar in a weakened state (which would take quintillions of tons of force), and effortlessly held a 10,000+ ton spaceship over his head with a smile on his face not angry in the least. He then had a very good storyline why he got angry (I guess losing your wife and child is just horrible writing to you), which explained perfectly his anger increase, so his natural instinct was to go after the Illuminati.

Yes it was true they were not the ones who set off the bomb, but they were the ones who shot him into space instead of trying to deal with him, after he did them a favor.

NERD FIGHT. you get over yourself. oh no, someone didn't like the story like i did, i'm gonna go insult them because they're wrong.

ironman is far from my favorite character, but powering up hulk to the point where he dispatches individuals that in the past held their own against him or even defeated him, with relative ease is laughable to me. for goodness sakes he beats the most powerful heroes in one-sided smashfests without difficulty or sustaining any injuries. the only battle that isn't like that is the last one against sentry and that one was just a draw until his rage o meter got refilled and he went supersaiyan on earth.

the illuminati shooting him into space somehow makes his attack on NYC acceptable and reasonable? not in the slightest, to me it just shows that they were right to try to get him away from the planet. His rage is uncontrollable, he's extremely overpowered/powerful, and he's easily manipulated. if the illuminati were dicks they would've sent him into a sun or black hole somewhere, instead they sent him on a course to a primative paradise where he could live without endangering himself and others. look at the what if issue to see how that would've turned out.

In regards to powering up the Hulk: His strength, durability, and regeneration are all based off of anger. You have a being, who the Beyonder himself said has an infinite amount of power. Throughtout his career, Hulk has had no upper limit to how strong he gets based on rage.

Now put yourself in his situation. You get stranded on a foreign planet where you're treated as a slave in gladiatorial style arena matches. You fight your way to the top, topple the emporer, and have a queen. Peace finally comes to the land, and a sense of wellbeing. Top it off, you fall in love with your queen who helped you fight up through the ranks. She is carrying your child. Suddenly a bomb goes off and destroys:
* your wife
* your unborn child
* the country you helped build
* everybody, man, woman, and child

You think you know who did it. You know how to get to them. Now I ask you this - would you not be angry if that happened to you? Imagine if someone killed your wife while she was pregnant and you knew where the killer lived. Would you not seek revenge? Would you not be ANGRY?

ANGER = STRENGTH.

yes, my anger would be over 9000. i'd go after all those i thought were responsible.
heck, i'd also go after people that weren't responsible (xavier), but could've been. :roll:
i'd also plan to demolish new york city to exact my revenge. icing on the uncontrollable rage cake.

LOL @ Juddog. What a nerd.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
I'm not a big fan of Marvell. DC seems to have a knack for making their characters more believable (although, Marvell does a nice job with Spiderman).

Just a personal preference I guess.

Yea' DC Kicks AZZ
:p

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004
Silver Surfer

Although in the past I always like marvel more than dc, in the past five years i've read a lot more dc and like it much more now.