Best Magic2 price for modding a PS2

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
I have been looking at these for a while. Seems that all I had to do with my PS2 was look on the information page, as it tells exactly which model # I have.

So anyway, the cheapest I saw before today was $89.99, and then I found this link and it was only $59.99. I was wondering if anyone has a better price hidden away anywhere before I go and order one of these.

Peace,
GermyBoy

EDIT: HERE FOR CHEAPER Just ordered one! $44 shipped.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
That sounds like an excellent deal. Maybe you should post it on the Hot Deals forum.

budice

Banned
Sep 5, 2002
xbox can do a bunch of stuff like play movies and mame if you mod it. what can you do with ps2 modded?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: budice
xbox can do a bunch of stuff like play movies and mame if you mod it. what can you do with ps2 modded?
Play imports and backups.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by: budice

Play burned games, silly!

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
i don't know much about any of these ps2 mods.. anyone care to catch me up? i originally wanted to do it.. i got my ps2 way back when amazon was offering them in bursts.. so that'll give you a rough date when i got mine, but i'm not sure exactly about the model yet... are there usb mods? cause i'd really rather not solder something onto my board if i didn't have to.. anyway.. someone please catch me up on this stuff.. thanks

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: habib89
i don't know much about any of these ps2 mods.. anyone care to catch me up? i originally wanted to do it.. i got my ps2 way back when amazon was offering them in bursts.. so that'll give you a rough date when i got mine, but i'm not sure exactly about the model yet... are there usb mods? cause i'd really rather not solder something onto my board if i didn't have to.. anyway.. someone please catch me up on this stuff.. thanks

If you have one of the right models, you can get a no solder mod chip. You open it up, pull out a couple ribbons, plug them into the mod chip, plug the chip where the ribbons were, and off you go. Otherwise, you are forced to solder something to your board. The USB mod chip requires one wire to be soldered on both ends to two different points. However, I don't think you can play DVDRs with this type of chip. You'd need one that requires a bit of work on the inside. Any respectable vendor will have enough info for you determine what your options are.

The new solder-less XBOX chips are supposed to be out this weekend and shipping started next week. However, with the mod chip game, I've learned not to hold my breath.

lupohki

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Check out http://www.ps2newz.net/ and their forums for the skinny.

All of the no-swap, boot-everything mods require the same amount of soldering. Those usb/no solder mods are limited in what they boot.

edit: I'd we wary of that place offering the Magic2 cheap. There's difference versions of Magic2 for diff versions of PS2, and that site doesn't say which one it is.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by: lupohki
Check out http://www.ps2newz.net/ and their forums for the skinny. All of the no-swap, boot-everything mods require the same amount of soldering. Those usb/no solder mods are limited in what they boot. edit: I'd we wary of that place offering the Magic2 cheap. There's difference versions of Magic2 for diff versions of PS2, and that site doesn't say which one it is.

It is for the SP3000x-R, V5 models. The exact one I have.

Adrian Tung

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just wondering, since we are on the topic about PS2 mods, are there any mods to make it region free when it comes to playing DVD movies?

:)atwl

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
oh crap... i have earlier version....

this will teach me a lesson on buying cheap stuff without looking at all the faqs.....

anyone want a version 7 magic chip for cheap?