Best LARGE 4k monitors - are they even a possiblity?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Big screens have uniformity issues. I would wait until OLED trickles down to 40" screens. The 55"/65" 4K OLED TVs are phenomenal as gaming displays if you can afford them...

Pantalaimon

Feb 6, 2006
There's a huge thread dedicated to this monitor on HardOCP display forum if you want to read more about it.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I have a 43" Crossover 434k, and other than a few quirks it's not bad. There's a few options now for big 40+ 4k displays that are proper monitors instead of TV. Having display port is a pretty large advantage IMO.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Burpo, thanks so much. That monitor looks awesome. Questions on it:

Says its 60hz, and in the comments someone said they could get it up to 70hz without dropping frames. Is that sufficient? Or does one really want higher hz? I'd guess it is sufficient, as I think 60hz (or 70) is limited to 60fps (or 70), but isn't that completely playable in FPS shooters, for example?

Also, I see in a comment someone says "No HDR = no buy". What is HDR and how detrimental is not having it?

My gosh in the comments they mention so many other monitors that I was not even aware existed lol.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
MrTeal - thanks - the 434k looks a bit more expensive but that is OK - will check it out. Question - what is the difference between a 4k monitor and a 4k TV? I get one is more focused on one thing than the other, but what is the advantage of making sure it is a "monitor"? Just the display port? What does having a display port accomplish exactly?

Thanks!

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Burpo, thanks so much. That monitor looks awesome. Questions on it:

Says its 60hz, and in the comments someone said they could get it up to 70hz without dropping frames. Is that sufficient? Or does one really want higher hz? I'd guess it is sufficient, as I think 60hz (or 70) is limited to 60fps (or 70), but isn't that completely playable in FPS shooters, for example?

Also, I see in a comment someone says "No HDR = no buy". What is HDR and how detrimental is not having it?

My gosh in the comments they mention so many other monitors that I was not even aware existed lol.

HDR is next gen tech. It'll be awhile before this niche market gets it. Personally, I'd make sure you pick a model with Freesync and 4K if you're getting a korean monitor.

I'm personally getting the UHD550 Wasabi Mango (Assuming the 60 and 65 inch models do not have freesync. Otherwise, I'll obviously get the 65 inch model with Freesync if it has freesync. I wish they'd make bigger but I digress).

But if you don't need freesync for gaming, then you have more options. I'd check the B400 too. I can't remember which one has the nice finish, but there is a reviewer who does import models I'm sure if you google the model in the thread you'll find the review and more.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
MrTeal - thanks - the 434k looks a bit more expensive but that is OK - will check it out. Question - what is the difference between a 4k monitor and a 4k TV? I get one is more focused on one thing than the other, but what is the advantage of making sure it is a "monitor"? Just the display port? What does having a display port accomplish exactly?

Thanks!

It's a monitor so it's got lower input lag than most TVs. That's the main reason why I'm getting one (And Freesync!). Display Port is useful since AMD thinks it's fun to not include HDMI 2.0. And well, it's also just nice that the monitors have more display input options over a TV which has just HDMI usually, and has much higher input lag.

There are other differences in color reproduction, but I'm not going to go there, because I don't notice the majority of the things people in here complain about. If a picture looks good I'm happy.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Wow tential, thanks so much. Brings me to so many more questions! Gotta run, but will hit you up later. So interesting - and thanks again!

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Look at Tek Syndicate Hardware's reviews on 4K monitors. That's where I'd start, and then look at the user experiences on overclock.net's forum on their monitor section.

I wish I had more help for you, but I have 0 options, so there wasn't much reason to do much more research other than for fun. There are a number of options in the 40 inch range, I'd skim the most recent threads on overclock.net's monitors/displays section. Last 2 pages should be enough to find the most popular 4K screens.

See what the users say about the color reproduction and whether you're happy.

borderdeal

Aug 4, 2013
I have a 49" WM UHD490 and I really like it. I would recommend a Freesync or Gsync 4k monitor because it is brutal on video cards when gaming. I have had mine for like 2 months. You can get a Crossover 404 that is pretty much the same as the Philips 40" and it costs like $500 when you get it on sale and ebay bucks. For me the 49" is perfect and use it mainly for work. I took a week off work when I first got it so that I could play and I love it for playing too. My monitor has no issues with uniformity, light bleed (my prior 27" Korean had light bleed) ands only one dead pixel. Which you cannot really see unless you look for it an even then it is hard to see since it is small