Best (inexpensive) Joystick / Throttle?

Feb 25, 2011
Looking for a Joystick/Throttle when Mechwarrior Online comes out in a couple months. Would like to spend less than $100.

Anybody have a favorite they can endorse?

I'm obviously not going to get one of those awesome factory-spec F-16 reproduction sticks for a measly $100, but don't want something with crap driver support that will "accidentally my whole computer", either.

TIA.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've been eyeing the Saitek X52, you can get it on amazon for around $82. Seems to be a pretty good stick from what I've found and is a popular one in recommendations for under $100 too from what I've seen.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I've been using my MS Sidewinders (standard and Force feedback 2) since 2002 (or at least around that time)
Can't believe they are over a decade old now and still work fine (except 2 buttons on the base are a little flakey)

subscribing to this thread

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I've had 5 joysticks, all of which failed. However, I've owned this Logitech Extreme 3d pro for 4 years and it has yet to fail-me.

$27 from Amazon right now with free shipping.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Damnit guys. I already have enough peripherals on my desk. In addition to my Logitech G105 keyboard and Trackman mouse, I have an Xbox 360 controller, a secondary generic gamepad, a steering wheel and gas/break pedals. Now you're egging me to buy a joystick? Godammit.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Throw away that generic gamepad and replace it with a joystick :)

That Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick looks very enticing for only twenty-seven bananas.

...I have absolutely nowhere on my desk to put it though. :(

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Saitek X52. It's a HOTAS setup, has tons of profiling and keymapping capabilities, it has twist-stick rudder, and it's only ~$85

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Damnit guys. I already have enough peripherals on my desk. In addition to my Logitech G105 keyboard and Trackman mouse, I have an Xbox 360 controller, a secondary generic gamepad, a steering wheel and gas/break pedals. Now you're egging me to buy a joystick? Godammit.

I hate to do this to you but...

I love my Track IR..
Won't fly or drive without it.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Ah... nice big dedicated throttle control on that one. Doesn't look like it takes much more space than the Logitech one. :hmm:

It's also Thrustmaster brand, it would compliment my Thrustmaster steering wheel quite nicely... :hmm:

...No. I can't be spending money on stuff like this right now. And with the Steam summer sale coming up, I need to reserve that extra cash in my wallet.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I've been using my MS Sidewinders (standard and Force feedback 2) since 2002 (or at least around that time)
Can't believe they are over a decade old now and still work fine (except 2 buttons on the base are a little flakey)

subscribing to this thread

Another MS SW FF2 owner here. I bought it exclusively to play 'Wings of Prey' only to find out that game only supported it in basic use, no FF. Not sure if its the game devs that dropped the ball or whether its another piece of failed MS hardware, but I need another game to justify its purchase.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
From all the reviews I've read the Saitek and Logitec are good, but Thrustmaster made their name producing inexpensive quality joysticks. I've owned two and except for mashing the trigger so hard on the first one I eventually broke it they've both been great.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I hate to do this to you but...

I love my Track IR..
Won't fly or drive without it.

I bought a Track IR 5, and with my 30 inch monitor, it was hard finding a place where my head didn't go out of tracking range and reset the camera. I got so annoyed I sold it a month after buying it. The concept was amazing, however if you have a big monitor close to where your sitting, your gunna have a bad time.

Feb 25, 2011
So am I right in thinking that to use the TrackIR, I have to keep my eyes glued to the screen and move my head around? Weird.

Have you ever tried it with Eyefinity? I have to move my head around to see my displays...

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Another MS SW FF2 owner here. I bought it exclusively to play 'Wings of Prey' only to find out that game only supported it in basic use, no FF. Not sure if its the game devs that dropped the ball or whether its another piece of failed MS hardware, but I need another game to justify its purchase.

I bought it for IL-2 way back when.
I currently use it for Cliffs of Dover. For wings of prey, at least on the demo it worked fine after a few adjustments.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
That Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick looks very enticing for only twenty-seven bananas.

...I have absolutely nowhere on my desk to put it though. :(

I've got the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro as well, can't say I was as happy with it as the earlier poster. Mine has good action in the Y-axis, but the mechanism in the X-axis is grabby and does not have consistent linear output across the range. Finally gave up on flight sims until I decide on a new one.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I bought a Track IR 5, and with my 30 inch monitor, it was hard finding a place where my head didn't go out of tracking range and reset the camera. I got so annoyed I sold it a month after buying it. The concept was amazing, however if you have a big monitor close to where your sitting, your gunna have a bad time.

track ir is pretty simple technology, same as the wii mote. i would have thought they would have most of the bugs worked out by now.

what they really need is headset vr goggles or augmented reality overlay glasses. if you can reliably track head movement then a set of oled glasses could easily give a full 360 true 3d view. you could even get rid of the need for a main monitor while gaming.

Feb 25, 2011

Reaper-Ground-Control-Simulator-v13-d-720.html

http://www.chproducts.com/Reaper-Ground-Control-Simulator-v13-d-720.html

I was like:

Awesome%20Smiley%20Cry.png

This device is NOT available for consumer use and is ITAR controlled through the U.S. Department of State and registered with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.

But then I:

140662940_70cb910952.jpg

I'm not sure yet, but I think I'll probably go with the Thrustmaster T-Force and then upgrade to CH Products hardware if I really get into it.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I've had 5 joysticks, all of which failed. However, I've owned this Logitech Extreme 3d pro for 4 years and it has yet to fail-me.

$27 from Amazon right now with free shipping.

Thats the one I have, and it works great.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I just bought a used CH Combatstick 568 (with a bit of warranty left so I'm not screwed if it has some problem). Haven't owned an analog joystick before, just arcade sticks, so I'm pretty excited. Also thinking of picking up a set of used CH Pro Pedals to go with it. I'm going to use these things initially for Descent, maybe something else later. (Are there any decent non-simulator games where you fly a helicopter, BTW? BF3 is out of the question due to Origin and slow computer.)

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR for sim flying. MS Sidewinder FF2 for arcade flying.