Best impulse buy ever?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Based on the "Worst impulse buy" thread

Mine was a Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS with Bluetooth. I got it on sale, but it was still ridiculously expensive for me. I don't travel a lot but I got it for a cross-country trip and for contract IT work at various sites because I'm nervous about getting lost, especially with MapQuest and Google Maps (you know how reliable those can be). I finally picked it up on impulse after reading one good review after another...and BOY has this thing come in handy! My wife started a photography business and I do contract IT work on the side while going to school and it has been a lifesaver every time!

Yours?

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
I'd go with my iPhone. Once they dropped the price and the price of the refurbs dropped as well... I had to go for it. Google Maps on your phone has to be one of the best features ever. I'll consider selling the phone if there is a cheaper alternative that has easy to use google maps coming from the android platform.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: QurazyQuisp
I'd go with my iPhone. Once they dropped the price and the price of the refurbs dropped as well... I had to go for it. Google Maps on your phone has to be one of the best features ever. I'll consider selling the phone if there is a cheaper alternative that has easy to use google maps coming from the android platform.

i've had google maps on my phone for about a year now and i've got 3G.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix

i've had google maps on my phone for about a year now and i've got 3G.
Same here, for several years (but no 3G). Live Search maps for Windows Mobile is better now IMO, it is voice activated, just say what you are looking for. Very cool.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Yeah I love my iPhone, it's the best all-in-one device I've ever owned. I like Google Maps for quick lookups, but I really wish it had some sort of GPS functionality. The turn-by-turn directions by hand don't really cut it, especially when you're driving by yourself. Although that $200 price drop was awesome...it really put it in the realm of affordability when compared to other multifunction phones. I use it for so many things...my morning alarm, food and laundry timers, quick Internet lookups, email, music in my car, etc.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: HN
easily my dell 2405fpw

I picked up a 24" Dell this past summer and absolutely love it...I had a 20" Dell widescreen before because my old CRT was giving me some serious eyestrain, but it was too small once I started doing print work. I think the 24" widescreen is the perfect size...not so small you can't see everything, but not so big you have to turn your head all the time.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I'm still happy with my 47" Samsung RP HDTV.

Got it for a grand a few years ago and it's been a reliable and good TV.

Though I would love a LCD of equal size and 1080P in the next few years.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaido

Mine was a Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS with Bluetooth. I got it on sale, but it was still ridiculously expensive for me. I don't travel a lot but I got it for a cross-country trip and for contract IT work at various sites because I'm nervous about getting lost, especially with MapQuest and Google Maps (you know how reliable those can be). I finally picked it up on impulse after reading one good review after another...and BOY has this thing come in handy! My wife started a photography business and I do contract IT work on the side while going to school and it has been a lifesaver every time!

Yours?

You didn't buy it right away and were well educated by the time you did...that's not impulsive. ;)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: jjsole

Yours?

You didn't buy it right away and were well educated by the time you did...that's not impulsive. ;)

It's impulsive for me...I did my research but the price was too high...I got it on sale but it was still more than I wanted to pay. This is AT's version of impulsive :laugh:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
my 56" DLP Sammy. i :heart: TV :D

:thumbsup: I :heart: my 50" too :)

Mine was a PS3 -- not for the games but for blu-ray. Watching movies like The Fountain and Curse of the Golden Flower in real 1080p instead of upscaled 480i was well worth the $600 I paid last year.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
my 56" DLP Sammy. i :heart: TV :D

:thumbsup: I :heart: my 50" too :)

Mine was a PS3 -- not for the games but for blu-ray. Watching movies like The Fountain and Curse of the Golden Flower in real 1080p instead of upscaled 480i was well worth the $600 I paid last year.

Oh come on, am I the only projector guy in here? :D

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole

Yours?

It's impulsive for me...I did my research but the price was too high...I got it on sale but it was still more than I wanted to pay. This is AT's version of impulsive :laugh:

Thank you for the making the distinction....otherwise the thread would have to be titled, 'Your best buy ever when you shopped like a woman?' - buying anything on a whim regardless of price. :p

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
My woot shirt - Tourin' the with da big G (Genghis Khan shirt from a few weeks back).