Best high 20k to mid 30k sedan?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
The Passat GLX

It's virtually the same as the Audi A4/A6, but it's got the room of the A6 for the price of the A4.

If your mom ever carries people in the back seat, don't get the A4. There is no reasonable room in the A4's back seat.

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
Audi A4 is good.....lots of good cars to choose from in that price range....

LittleWolf

Feb 28, 2001

<< All of them are good cars, but this is how I differentiate them: Best safety - Volvo S40 >>

Actually the S40 and V40 are quite crappy. In case you didn't know they are basically rebadged Mitsubhisi stuff. If you *have* to buy a Volvo you should try the S60 with the T5 turbo engine option. That is the only one worth it's salt.
And yeah, the notion that Volvos are the safest it quite passe too. Many other sedans equal if not beat it these days.

Imported

Your list could be like:
1. New A4 3.0 V6 Quattro.
2. Audi S4 :cool:
3. VW Passat V6
4. BMW 330i (325 is shiite and for lemmings) and also a loaded 330 would be close to 40K+
4. Lexus IS 300
5. Acura TL type S

And you didn't mention whether your mom would prefer a 2 or 4 door. If you wanna have a coupe a Audi TT 225hp Quattro would be quite sweet, not to mention all weather.

-j

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Buy a used BMW 540. Still get a good warranty thru the BMW program. Its the best sedan ever made.

cmdavid

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
Do you mean Lexus IS300.. cause if you do, then id say go with that.....
edit.. oh yeah, if you didnt mean IS300, well you should have, and you should get it anyways...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My choices -

- Used Audi A6 2.7t
- Infiniti I35
- Nissan Altima
- Acura TL-S

Try and chase down a used 2.7T to at least test drive it. Very quick and they come nicely equipped. Should be able to find a used one easily in that price range.

gunf1ghter

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
This is so subjective... what it really comes down to is what she wants. My comments are based on my experience of owning 2 of the cars in your lineup (A4 and 325i) as well as having driven many of them (Maxima, Passat, etc)

Does she want something that will really hold up well, is easy to drive (automatic transmission and somewhat overboosted steering), and has a nice interior? Then she is probably looking at something along the lines of a Lexus or the Acura TL.

Does she want something that is a lot more inspiring to drive (manual transmission, push the envelope a little more)? Then I would say go with the Audi A4 Quattro or the BMW 325i. They cost a little more to operate over a 5 year period of time, but they definitely drive better. I have a 2000 A4 Quattro (see sig) and bought a 325i for my (now estranged) fiancee. Both are excellent cars. The BMW has a more simplistic interior, but handles slightly better and has a better motor (the inline BMW 6 cylinder engine is to die for).. it also has a much stiffer chassis and a more sports care like ride (especially if you get the stiffer suspension setup with the sports pkg). The Audi has a really nice interior, real nice lines, and Quattro is a blast to drive even when the roads are dry. Any German sedan is going to make you wish that we had 120 mph speed limits in the US because they sure as hell love to fly down the highway!

I have a friend who owns a 2001 Maxima which I have driven on a few occassions, and it doesn't have a damn thing on either my Audi OR my BMW... the interior of the car screams "econobox" ... and the handling is crap (solid rear axle suspension). The only thing nice about the Nissan is that you can get it with a 5 spd and it has a great V6 engine.

Buy the car that is the most rewarding to drive, whether that be performance, reliability, snob appeal, whatever floats your boat... when you are spending high 20's to mid 30's you should definitely get something that appeals to you, other people's opinions be damned!

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I'm figuring she'd like something easy to drive, automatic transmission, comfortable, etc. She's not much into performance, just something like I mentioned before and reliable. Then again, she does 100+ on the freeways in my dads minivan on the way to Los Angeles.. Test driving is definately going to be tried next weekend..

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

<< I'm figuring she'd like something easy to drive, automatic transmission, comfortable, etc. She's not much into performance, just something like I mentioned before and reliable. Then again, she does 100+ on the freeways in my dads minivan on the way to Los Angeles.. Test driving is definately going to be tried next weekend.. >>

I think the Acura TL would fit the bill, not sure if she'd want the type S or not.

KamakaziRcr

Jan 15, 2000
Yeah...I probably second the TL. Coming from a Civic, she'll probably feel more at home with the TL, being both are Hondas. TL starts at just about 28k fully loaded for the non navi and non Type S version. But I still think if you can, take a look at the G35. It's priced near the TL and definitely look different from all the other TL's roaming out on the roads.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

<< Yeah...I probably second the TL. Coming from a Civic, she'll probably feel more at home with the TL, being both are Hondas. TL starts at just about 28k fully loaded for the non navi and non Type S version. But I still think if you can, take a look at the G35. It's priced near the TL and definitely look different from all the other TL's roaming out on the roads. >>

I agree you get a lot of bang for your buck with the TL. Basically a souped up Honda Accord.

tommigsr

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
got the TL not too long ago...i wouldn't trade it in for any other car...worth to take a trip to the dealer and test drive it, you won't regret it at all. refined luxury into one fine package

gunf1ghter

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
As others have mentioned the TL is probably the car she is looking for. She will appreciate the luxury of the car, it has a good engine, and handles well... it's automatic transmission is one of the better ones out there. She can also get it pretty loaded for around $30K. Maybe test-drive a Lexus for comparison purposes.