Best heatsink for Duron 600@900 at the following page.

Klosters

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
It depends whether you'll have a Socket A, or Slot A mainboard. The Alpha PAL35t(why mess around? Get it with the 38 cfm Delta "Black label" 60 mm fan. If a loud HSF bugs you, the YSTech "27" cfm fan's a better idea) is designed for a Socket A mainboard.

The Alpha PEP66 is designed to hang on a Slocket. The same fannage options apply. AFAIK, no Socket A mobo's are obtainable yet. A Duron in AMD Slot A form factor may require a different HSF than a Socket A CPU OR a Slocket A CPU! I don't know. In "Intel speak," the choice is simple: PAL35t for a Socket 370, PEP66 for a Slocket.

I suggest not buying the HSF until you have the new motherboard in hand. I didn't, so now I have the PAL35t AND a PEP66. Lucky me!

DDad

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Klosters:
Please stop and think before you post.
"This is going to go on my new modified Duron 600 that will run at 900"

Durons are Socket A only. Also, The Fic AZ11 is generally available, the Asus board is just out, several others are being released "even as we speak"

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
WARNING !! Just about any Socket370 Socket7 HSF will physically fit on Socket A. The problem is that several of these put too much pressure on the DURON core. The Golden ORB is being reworked to fit Socket A. Others can be tweaked (the clips can be bent to relieve some of the pressure).

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Yeah, over at HardOCP they burned up a 1ghz Socket A T-Bird when they didn't realize the feet on the heatsink were designed for Intel CPU's. This caused it not to seat correctly on the die of the T-Bird, and it fried... They filed off the feet I think, and it was fine after that..

downhiller80

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2000
Well this is what I read before I bout a PEP66 for the same purpose.

<< Alpha PEP66U - Celeron II/Pentium III (FC-PGA) &amp; Duron (Socket A)
The Alpha PEP66U is a high performance cooling solution for the Intel Celeron II, Intel Pentium III (FC-PGA) and AMD Duron. It is fitted with a side mounted mounted 60mm high output YS-Tech fan pushing 26CFM, making it ideal for slot adapter mounting. The heatsink is fitted with a copper heat spreader. On Socket A CPU's (Duron, Thunderbird), you must remove the 4 white plastic spacers from the base of the heatsink. Easily achieved with a set of pliers.
>>

I haven't recieved my order yet but are you guys saying I can't use a PEP66 with socket-A?

Seb

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Sebfrost:
That sink should be fine because Alpha is specificaly saying it is for a Duron. It does say you need to remove the &quot;feet&quot; which goes back to what I said in my last post. If the feet are left on, it does not properly contact the die surface of the Duron/Tbird...you should be fine.