Best headset for PC gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Under $100 is really hard to recommend something that would last more than a year. I'd honestly try to save until about $150. That really seems to be the tipping point between something lasting a year and something lasting 5, 10 years. plus the sound quality and comfort level shoots up considerably.

At $140 is https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G...19066160&sr=1-4&keywords=sennheiser+headphone but you would need a clip on mic.
At $160 is https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-G...19066160&sr=1-4&keywords=sennheiser+headphone

Depending on how fast you want these I've seen both at $120 or so. Also look for PC 350 SE's, they are an older model and usually sell for about $240 but on occasion can be found for around $120 as well.

On a side note if you have a really small head and need something wireless the Steelseries Arctic 7 at around $120 isn't a terrible option but I really can't make a recommendation on their longevity yet as the wife has only had them since christmas 2017. They don't sound anywhere near as good as the sennheisers though.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

Reactions: nurturedhate

chrx144

Feb 19, 2018
Hi. I used to have one and it was amazing.For its quality, it is worth every penny. Although, nowI'm using Asus ROG Centurion 7.1 but it is more expensive than the SteelSeries.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I use Audio Technica headphones.
My next pair will probably be Audio Technica...

I have used almost all the vendors, and for the price / quality , i think its very hard to beat Audio Technica...

My main PC headphones have always been the AD900. My first pair lasted through 6 years of heavy use before they literally started shocking me, ear to ear. After that I switch to the AKG K701 for a few years but then I bought another AD900X and have been very happy again.

I just picked up the AD900X for $110, I hope I like them. First set of decent headphones for me, going to be used for a mix of gaming/music. If I feel the need for a mic in the future I'll just add one on...

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I just picked up the AD900X for $110, I hope I like them. First set of decent headphones for me, going to be used for a mix of gaming/music. If I feel the need for a mic in the future I'll just add one on...

$110 is a good deal. Try them in a CS:GO match and you'll see why people like them for gaming.

Reactions: Selena Anderson

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
After lurking in this thread I decided to pull the trigger on a set of Arctis 7 cans. I just received them today and hooked them up. This headset is super comfortable so far. I've been wearing them for an hour so far and love the feel. The controls are pretty easy to get used to, although I haven't tried everything so far (mic, in game chat etc. due to being at work). In terms of audio, the verdict is still out for me. It sounds ok, but I feel like everything is a bit muffled or something. Just doesn't sound "clean" to me, but again, I haven't installed the software from Steelseries (again, I'm work and the software was something like 110mb). I also read I should install Peace Equalizer and run that software instead so I'll wait till I get home. I'm going to hang on to these for a few days and see how they work.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Been using the Sennheiser Game One headset for console play and it's really good.

Still using my Beyer T90's plus antlion modmic for pc play.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is this a necro? Anyway I got some Steelseries Arctis Pro + Gamedac recently and absolutely love them. Super comfy and the audio is great with the DAC using DTS Headphone X v2.0. Windows outputs to the Gamedac as if it were 5.1 speakers and that gets run through some software that places audio cues where they need to be. Even the subwoofer channel is active, what I mean is an explosion with a deep rumble sounds like it came from an actual subwoofer and isn't just a loud boom in your head. It's pretty weird at first but I've gotten used to it and quite like it. I had Sennheiser PC360s before and after those died I decided to try something else and I'm quite pleased. I think the Senns are better for music overall because of their signature sound and open air design but the Gamedac supports 96khz/24bit audio which helps. The Steelseries Arctis beats the sennheiser headsets in positional audio for gaming easily but I feel the microphone, while very clear and clean sounding doesn't pick up your voice as naturally as the sennheiser mic does. Expected as sennheiser makes professional microphones too.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
After lurking in this thread I decided to pull the trigger on a set of Arctis 7 cans. I just received them today and hooked them up. This headset is super comfortable so far. I've been wearing them for an hour so far and love the feel. The controls are pretty easy to get used to, although I haven't tried everything so far (mic, in game chat etc. due to being at work). In terms of audio, the verdict is still out for me. It sounds ok, but I feel like everything is a bit muffled or something. Just doesn't sound "clean" to me, but again, I haven't installed the software from Steelseries (again, I'm work and the software was something like 110mb). I also read I should install Peace Equalizer and run that software instead so I'll wait till I get home. I'm going to hang on to these for a few days and see how they work.

Update?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

Not anything new really. I like them and they are really comfortable but tbh I haven't really done much gaming in the last few months. A few days after I got them I basically amputated the tip of my left thumb so priorities have shifted some haha. I do know that the mic is clear based on feedback from my brother, and it's got good range. I was able to walk around while a game was loading and still get audio. Haven't messed around with the software much but I've been making sure to update. Just haven't really messed with them.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Is this a necro? Anyway I got some Steelseries Arctis Pro + Gamedac recently and absolutely love them. Super comfy and the audio is great with the DAC using DTS Headphone X v2.0. Windows outputs to the Gamedac as if it were 5.1 speakers and that gets run through some software that places audio cues where they need to be. Even the subwoofer channel is active, what I mean is an explosion with a deep rumble sounds like it came from an actual subwoofer and isn't just a loud boom in your head. It's pretty weird at first but I've gotten used to it and quite like it. I had Sennheiser PC360s before and after those died I decided to try something else and I'm quite pleased. I think the Senns are better for music overall because of their signature sound and open air design but the Gamedac supports 96khz/24bit audio which helps. The Steelseries Arctis beats the sennheiser headsets in positional audio for gaming easily but I feel the microphone, while very clear and clean sounding doesn't pick up your voice as naturally as the sennheiser mic does. Expected as sennheiser makes professional microphones too.

I got the Arctis 3 bluetooth and I can't say I'm that impressed. My Sony bluetooth headphones sound quite a bit better and the Arctis seem to have some occasional issues with Windows. I've had random issues with glitchy sound and having to reboot although it may be the built in bluetooth card on my laptop. Comfort wise they are great though, and the battery life is top notch so I think I will end up using them for work where I don't care as much about the sound quality and mic works way better than my sony's.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I got the Arctis 3 bluetooth and I can't say I'm that impressed. My Sony bluetooth headphones sound quite a bit better and the Arctis seem to have some occasional issues with Windows. I've had random issues with glitchy sound and having to reboot although it may be the built in bluetooth card on my laptop. Comfort wise they are great though, and the battery life is top notch so I think I will end up using them for work where I don't care as much about the sound quality and mic works way better than my sony's.

I don’t use wireless headphones so I can’t comment on any of that. I think the GameDAC and different build sets the pro apart though.

ban390

Aug 29, 2010
My wife loves using hyperX Cloud II, but she has a smaller head. They are too tight on my head.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Rockin the Senn HD600's these days on the PS4 and they are amazing. Can't beat them for positional audio.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Rockin the Senn HD600's these days on the PS4 and they are amazing. Can't beat them for positional audio.

You can but it requires a DAC with software to convert the 5.1 Dolby digital signal from the PS4 into simulated surround sound(is that what you are doing?)That’s how surround headsets work aside from the headsets that put multiple drivers in each ear up which I am not a fan of. Those drivers are not only smaller and less powerful but they sacrifice sound quality for marginally better surround effects.

RunningForest

Jun 3, 2018
What I remember for my gaming experience, I've always used and loved Audio Technica headsets. Audio Technica headphones are very slick, with very attractive design and with good quality of sound. As for me, I would go all in for Audio Technica.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
What are people doing to break headsets so often? You know you're not supposed to spike them when you lose a round, right? I have a set of
Razer Carcharias that are probably 8 years old and in great shape. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯