Best Headphones for $350 and below

maximillianl89

Aug 10, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am in need of some "Home theatre" or "Cinema" headphones. I will be using them in my bedroom. Speakers are not an option because it will disturb my parents, brothers, and sisters(im 15). Their shouldn't be to much noise coming in, just the occasional car driving by.

I have been looking at the Sennheiser rs 170's, but i am told by some avid listeners that they may not be so good due to the fact that they are stereo headphones.

Does anyone have a good set for movies, doesnt have to be wireless. My budget is around $350, no higher. The headphones will be connected to my pc via the sound car,the computer is connected to a samsung smart tv.

Thanks in advance

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
My first suggestion is that you'll want to spend some of your budget on a quality amp, and either use digial out from your computer, or get a USB DAC & amp.

All things being equal, "Open" headphones will have better sound quality. But they will leak sound. Not nearly as much as speakers - but at higher volumes it might be audible through your door. You'll have to decide if that is acceptable. If you want something which is perfectly quiet to others - you'll need "closed" headphones.

If you don't need wireless - then I'd save the money and buy wired. Or you'll get better audio quality for the same money. You wont have to worry about batteries or recharging either.

I don't have them, but the Sennheiser HD 5xx series headphones seemed to be very popular and good quality for the money.

The head-fi forum ( http://www.head-fi.org/ ) has lots of info. As with any source of information - use your own mind when reading. Sponsors may have influence on what is posted or allowed to be posted.

maximillianl89

Aug 10, 2012
What is the purpose of the amp? Should i be connecting the headphones to the 3.5mm jack?

The 558's are less then $200. Is their something better?

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
Ive used the sennheisers before and found them to be lacking bass for movies. I now have the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 and they rock for movies, music, games. What sound card do you have? And dont worry about stereo vs 5.1/7.1 for headphones. Stereo is just fine. But with that said, the inexpensive Asus Xonar DG ($15-$25) or DGX ($40) would give you Dolby Headphone and that works great for movies and gaming. BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 80 + Asus Xonar = about $210

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Head-Fi is great, but be careful. It's full of a bunch of subjective nonsense based on hype, which can cloud some of the truly good information.

I would recommend investing in a nice DAC and amp for headphones. There are several sound cards with integrated headphone amps that act as a nice budget DAC + amp. Many nicer headphones benefit from the additional power, and the signal itself is of higher quality as well (less noise, for example). Creative had a decent USB DAC + amp (X-Fi HD, the newest model). It has a built-in headphone amp as well. Surprisingly solid device for the money.

If you don't have a sound card with a dedicated headphone amp, the 3.5mm jack is likely a line-out designed for computer speakers or stereo receivers. Not only do they not always provide the best signal for headphones, if you will, but they also sometimes simply aren't a good match up at all (high output impedance, for example). This is not always the case, but it can happen.

As for headphones in the price range (not including cost of DAC and/or amp):

1. Audio Technica ATH-M50 - These are nice, budget headphones. They have a fairly neutral response overall, tilted towards a bit of additional bass and a few rough spots in the mids and treble.

2. Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 - Get the HD598 if you can afford it. These are open headphones. They had a large soundstage and a very natural, effortless, slightly warm sound overall. Fairly balanced, if a tiny bit lean in the sub-bass region. While not as bass-heavy as the ATH-M50, they are smoother and more even sounding overall.

3. Brainwavz HM5 - Decent headphones for the price. Tilted more towards the neutral side. I prefer the ATH-M50s and HD598s to these, but many people really like them.

4. Mr. Speakers Mad Dog - This is a heavily modified version of the Fostex T50RP headphones. The T50RP is extremely popular due to its extreme potentials after being modded. It's a planar magnetic headphone, so the sound decays very quickly and cleanly compared to most other headphones. Simply put, when given an impulse, the driver that creates the sound will stop moving faster than it would on a "standard" headphone. The T50RP is smooth and clean sounding in general compared to most headphones.

Anyway, the Mad Dog is a highly modified T50RP. It takes a LOT of effort to mod and tune these properly, which the creator of the Mad Dog has taken the time to do. You can even find measurements for the headphone on the website. They are comparable to the HD650 or the LCD-2, the latter of which costs close to $1,000. They have a very similar sound signature at a much lower price ($250). I have my own modded T50RP (a different, more expensive variant from another person), and they are absolutely incredible. If you want the best, I'd go this route.

With these, you basically need a decent DAC and amp. You can find sound cards or external USB sound cards with nice, dedicated headphone amps for $100 or less. You might have to go used or refurbished. I liked my Creative X-FI HD USB device, and I'm currently using an Auzentech Bravura sound card (refurbished for under $100).

5. Denon AH-D2000. I believe these are technically discontinued, so they may be hard to find now or in the future. These are a fairly bass heavy can (extends very deep). They have a somewhat recessed midrange and slightly bright, occasionally sibilant treble. I thought they were fun to listen to, and they're quite popular. They sound surprisingly open for being closed headphones.

With these, the Mad Dog (or any T50RP variant) benefits most from a nice DAC and amp. The HD598/558 is up next. The rest do fairly well from standard devices, but nicer gear won't hurt them!

I'll add more headphones if I can think of them. Just be careful when researching! Many people are extremely biased and subjective about headphones, so it's good to back your research with measurements, data, and expert opinions (which, even then...occasionally scary and untrustworthy). Feel free to ask me any questions.

Edit: Stereo headphones would be best, in my opinion. I really don't like the virtual surround stuff through software either. If you have a nice, somewhat accurate pair of headphones, the soundstage and imaging should be at the very worst adequate for almost any listening situation. The HD598 on its own, for example, sometimes fooled my ears into thinking they were listening to actual speakers. Just my opinion!

Be careful about Beyerdynamic headphones. Their older models weren't too bad, but their new headphones are generally either bad or bad and terribly priced. The DT 770, 880, and 990 all have rather pronounced treble. The DT 770 has that along with elevated bass. The nice thing is that these headphones respond well to EQ. It's cool if someone likes how they sound, but I think there are better options for the price.

Last edited:

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
Be careful about Beyerdynamic headphones. Their older models weren't too bad, but their new headphones are generally either bad or bad and terribly priced. The DT 770, 880, and 990 all have rather pronounced treble. The DT 770 has that along with elevated bass. The nice thing is that these headphones respond well to EQ. It's cool if someone likes how they sound, but I think there are better options for the price.

I dont think you should comment about things you havent used. If you've used BeyerDynamics you would know theyre not "bad" or "bad and terribly priced." The treble isnt "pronounced" and what is "elevated bass" that makes no sense. These cans are bass heavy yes but it's good bass, not bloaty or sloppy bass but, clean sounding bass. Something the HD 55x line lacks. The bass from the hd 55x line to me had no life. I could hear the bass but it was weak, sounded distant. The hd 55x line has great mids and highs but it's very weak in the low end. This is what I've learned from using the products, not just reading what others wrote on head-fi.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I dont think you should comment about things you havent used. If you've used BeyerDynamics you would know theyre not "bad" or "bad and terribly priced." The treble isnt "pronounced" and what is "elevated bass" that makes no sense. These cans are bass heavy yes but it's good bass, not bloaty or sloppy bass but, clean sounding bass. Something the HD 55x line lacks. The bass from the hd 55x line to me had no life. I could hear the bass but it was weak, sounded distant. The hd 55x line has great mids and highs but it's very weak in the low end. This is what I've learned from using the products, not just reading what others wrote on head-fi.

I'm talking about Beyer's new Tesla line of headphones. They have terrible quality control issues with large sound variations between headphones of the same model, and a less even frequency responses with even worse treble compared to their older models. I said their older models aren't too bad, going so far as to mention the specific headphones I was referring to. Perhaps I was not clear. Still, I think there are better headphones for the money.

I think it's perfectly fine to comment on something I haven't heard. It's not like I'm hiding the fact. I'm just repeating what I've heard from people that are very familiar with sound reproduction and/or are actual experts in the field of headphones, especially when it comes to measuring them. I trust the people with the experience, the tools, and the good ears.

I don't need to hear a headphone to look at measurements for it (using several sources due to different measurement systems and techniques) and get a general idea of what it sounds like relative to other headphones. I couple this with objective and subjective impressions about the headphone from people that know what they're talking about. I am simply spreading what I have found to be helpful and truthful information on the matter, as there is way too much hype, bias, and misinformation out there.

The BeyerDynamic DT 770, DT 880, and DT990 all exhibit peaky, elevated treble. Measurements show this, and good ears have confirmed this. The DT880 has a very even response other than this. The DT 770 has elevated bass, more towards the very lowest registers. The DT990 follows a similar U-shaped FR response, but is a bit weirder overall.

On the upside, they seem to have very little resonance and quick decay throughout the sound spectrum, so they're clean sounding and respond well to EQ.

These particular models are not "bad" or "terribly priced", though you can definitely do better for the money from an objective standpoint. I was referring to their new Tesla headphones, as mentioned. Sorry if I did not make this clear.

I would agree that the HD5xx line can be a bit lacking in the lower registers. The DT 770 over emphasizes the sub-bass, while the HD5xx tends to under emphasize it. The newer HD558/598 are better than the old HD555/595 in this regard, however. I found the HD598 to be very balanced across the entire spectrum, minus the fact that I wish it has a bit more sub-bass. Still, the balance and naturalness of the sound made up for its deficiencies, and it was a very well-behaved headphones overall.

To be clear, I own(ed) and have heard all the other headphones besides the Mad Dog that I listed (and the Beyers). Like I said, though, I'm very familiar with the T50RP and its potential. I feel very confident in recommending the Mad Dog for the best overall listening experience in your price range.

I should have specified that the Mad Dog is nearly flat from 20Hz to 1KHz before gently sloping down and having somewhat shelved upper mids and treble relative to pure neutral. It should sound similar to the LCD-2 or HD650, as mentioned. Many people like this sound signature. It is lush, focuses on the mids and bass, but does not sacrifice dynamics, detail, treble, soundstaging, or imaging in the process. It should be a very pleasant headphone to listen to for long periods of time.

Knavish

May 17, 2002
If possible, try before you buy. If you're not into really high-end audio equipment right now, you might be satisfied with a $100 pair of headphones -- you might not even be able to tell the difference. Maybe the extra $250 doesn't matter much to you, though.

<rant mode>
Also be careful with your ears -- watch the volume levels!! I've known several musicians and college music faculty in the 60-80 year age range who have all warned me about tinnitus (permanent ringing in the ears). If you listen to a lot of loud music (or gunshots, engines, etc) you can end up with this permanent hearing damage for the last half of your life.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/protecting-your-hearing.php
</rant mode>

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
The best headphones you can get brand new under $350 are the Shure SRH940. Hands down.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Beyerdynamic DT880's are by far the most comfortable headphones I have found, and they sound fantastic.

I haven't used other headphones as expensive, though, so I can't tell about relative sound quality.

Mar 11, 2004
Sorry to the rest of you, I just skimmed so if your points/suggestions are covered I apologize, just consider it an extra vote of confidence. Head-Fi is good but its also probably not a great place for people just wanting a solid first pair of headphones for some movie listening, you can get some good recommendations here without all the silliness that goes on there.

The good news is, it should be very easy to get some good headphones that you'll enjoy for $350, including possibly an amp/DAC if you need it.

First suggestion: forget wireless headphones and forget surround headphones. That's not to say good ones don't exist, but you'll just be better off not bothering with them. An extension cable wouldn't be an issue and won't be expensive.

What is your "source" as in what are you watching movies on, PC, Blu-Ray player, game console?

A few other things, where do you live? This can impact suggestions as some brands are much cheaper to get in the US than elsewhere.

The honest truth, I think you could probably just get say the Creative Auravana Live for about $60 and be pretty pleased with them. Not even have to worry about a DAC/amp either unless you just plain don't have a headphone jack to use. Frankly, you could probably even go lower than that as there's some ~20-50 dollar headphones that are not bad. I think the Auravana would be great for your desired use, has enough of "audiophile" sound that you can tell if its something you might be interested in going further with.

Here's a great resource: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

Its InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame where Tyll lists the headphones that he rates as cream of the crop, plenty of different styles and price ranges, and since they're all pretty good don't feel bad about going for whichever one catches your eye as it'll likely catch your ear to once you hear it. That's not to say that those are the only worthwhile ones, but you almost can't go wrong with one of them.

Just noticed he doesn't have any below $299 for full sized open, there's a few others in that range worth considering (and the HD-650 I believe can be found in that range as well even though its listed at $499 on there).

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
HD558 vs 598 is just a matter of a piece of foam glued against the outer grills.
This can be removed/added on demand. The actual driver is the same, as is the headphone geometry. Comfort should also be mostly identical.
So, go for the 55x and then remove those pads, and see if it helps. It it doesn't you can actually see if you want to tune the degree of openness some more.

Did this to both my HD555 and the replacement HD558.
Both are "good enough" headphones, I currently see no reason to shop up, as value/money drop off is getting pretty sharp.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
These are my current headphones, the Grado SR325i:
http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php?item=71ea2b53c254a6a29f7da233d0238ccd

I recently upgraded from a pair of SR80 headphones that I bought back in 2002. However, the improvement stepping up to the 325 is significant.

Note that Grados tend to lean a bit on the active side. Negative reviews often describe them as "harsh", "bright" or "sibilant". I personally love that kind of sonic signature because it brings out the details. However, it's not for everybody. As with any audio gear, try before you buy.

Depending on what you're powering them with, a potential upside of Grado headphones is their relatively low impedence, meaning you don't need a dedicated amp to drive them. However, as with any high quality headphones, a dedicated amp and an outboard DAC will go a long way to improving sound quality.

Theshawty

Aug 15, 2012
I have a pair of Audio Technica M50 (or simply ATH-M50) and I love them. They're exactly how I want headphones to be. They are a nice fit, they give a slightly bassed-up sound instead of a "clean" sound which, according to me, doesn't sound good at all. Then again, I'm no sound-nerd.

Cost me about 1300 SEK in Sweden which is roughly $195 at full MSRP+VAT.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
dt880's are nice, but the treble can be too much at times. I prefer the akg k701 and it's variants to it. oh, and i prefer stax and the koss esp950 too. :p

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I had the M50's before the DT880's, and while the construction felt rock solid and the sound was OK, the M50's pressed on the top of my head so that wearing them became physically painful after half an hour or so. This will naturally be a matter of individual anatomy. The phones also caused a sweaty feel.

elan_vital

Jun 24, 2013
Hi, I used our new app to set some criteria specifically for this thread: http://www.acqurate.com/557110261c26b5632e25f0ff
It should return a good selection of headphones for watching TV and you can customize it in some fun ways.

P.S. I do agree with NAC.
My first suggestion is that you'll want to spend some of your budget on a quality amp, and either use digial out from your computer, or get a USB DAC & amp.

Lower your headphones price to $150 and get a dac/headphone amp (usually laptop DACs and amps are not that great). A $150 pair of headphones would benefit greatly form simple DAC/headphone amp.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I haven’t posted before, so I’d also like to introduce myself to Anandtech.
For the past few years I’ve been working with a small team building this product recommendation engine. Ultimately it should work for almost any kind of product, but we decided to start with audio gear, and headphones in particular.
We designed Acqurate to complement forum posts. It’s open-ended and you can add headphones, write reviews, and generally make it your own.
We will make a small commission if people buy headphones from Amazon through Acqurate, but otherwise we have no advertising and don’t take sponsorships from brands or retailers.
We are still in beta so suggestions are much appreciated.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Custom One Pro's are $150 at Massdrop right now, assuming the lowest price is reached.

mistersprinkles

May 24, 2014
LISTEN to the people suggesting a DAC/amp to you. You will get a better experience out of $150 headphones and a $150 DAC/AMP than you will out of $300 headphones alone. I know what I'm talking about, and so do the other people who have suggested this to you.

I suggest you pick up the DAC/AMP used as that'll save you some coin. See if you can get your hands on a used ARCAM rPAC for $140 or so on Ebay. They're very solid and very solidly built. Very good sound for the money. The amp is quite decent as well.

For movies, I suggest that you pick up a set of Grados, honestly. Yes, they are low impedance but that doesn't mean they won't benefit from an AMP and a better source. They absolutely will. I've owned SR80s and SR225s and I know this from experience. You should be able to afford SR125E on your budget. They are a nice sounding headphone. Very good for movies. Again, buying used instead will have benefits. If you could get a set of the 250Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s for about $150 that would be a more thrilling experience for movies than the Grados would.

Whoever told you not to buy stereo headphones is really retarded. All quality headphones are stereo. That's all you need. It's right up against your head. The only 5.1/7.1 headphones are pieces of garbage by companies who have no business making audio gear like Razer and the like.

Please don't buy headphones and hook them up to your soundcard. If you have a Xonar STX or STX2 that would be the only exception. Then you can hook your headphones up to it but if you have a regular crummy $100<< class soundcard or worse yet integrated audio... just don't inflict that on yourself.

mollyfreelove

Jun 18, 2015
I have a pair of Audio Technica M50 (or simply ATH-M50) and I love them. They're exactly how I want headphones to be. They are a nice fit, they give a slightly bassed-up sound instead of a "clean" sound which, according to me, doesn't sound good at all. Then again, I'm no sound-nerd.

Cost me about 1300 SEK in Sweden which is roughly $195 at full MSRP+VAT.

The ATH-M70x's are even better... about $300 I believe. =)

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
The best headphone for $350 is the brand new closed-back planar magnetics from OPPO, the PM3. Fairly lightweight for planars, amazingly neutral frequency response (close to optimal) with nice bass slam, great isolation and also attractive and stylish. They are a steal at this price.

For DAC/amp combo, look no further than the plug-n-play O2+ODAC. For $250, it's about as transparent as it gets and drives almost every headphone. The latest revision B makes a good thing even better, especially the frequency response is now literally perfectly flat.