Best games to play without a mouse or gamepad (only trackpad and kb)

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Just wondering which games you play when you have no mouse or gamepad available. Only because theres a lot of times im stuck somewhere bored with my laptop, and i usually just end up playing something dumb like solitare.

Ideally, i would like a turn based strategy that can be played easily with a trackpad and keyboard. Also i want to point out playing games with a keyboard that are supposed to be played with a controller suck. Things like VVVVVV and console emulators just dont work without a gamepad for me.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
No mouse for gaming? Seriously buy a cheap mouse. They are not that expensive for a simple two button optical mouse with a wheel. Way better than a lousy track pad. You dont say what cpu or graphics you have but if its just IGP there are the Jagged Alliance games and the Heroes of Might & Magic series that should work. Torchlight should run as well although that one is not turned base but good for killing time.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
N

Man I just realized I've had that game for almost/over ten years now.

Edit: It's a platformer, playable easily with one hand on the keyboard (though I prefer two, arrow keys to move and space to jump).

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
No mouse for gaming? Seriously buy a cheap mouse. They are not that expensive for a simple two button optical mouse with a wheel. Way better than a lousy track pad. You dont say what cpu or graphics you have but if its just IGP there are the Jagged Alliance games and the Heroes of Might & Magic series that should work. Torchlight should run as well although that one is not turned base but good for killing time.

I have many mice, I'm asking because many times whipping out a mouse isnt ideal, and sometimes i just have my laptop and nothing else. (in class - you dont wanna be the person playing torchlight and clicking around like crazy) I probably should change the title of the thread though, since the laptop part is really irrelevant, and im more concerned with the trackpad and lack of mouse.

Torchlight is the only one of those games ive played before, and without a mouse, its a bad experience.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Anything turn based?
One of the civilization games and another vote for heroes of might and magic III

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Any of the Civ games should be fine, I would think. Other games I've played on a trackpad:

X-COM (old ones)
SpaceChem
FTL
Pharoah (old but fun)

Just some thoughts

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Old console games usually play pretty decent with just keyboard. Only ones I really had problems with were ones that required you to hit a bunch of buttons at the same time and my keyboard would ignore some of them (Super Metroid/Megaman X come to mind although I was still able to beat them).

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Defense Grid is a very fun, addictive tower defense game that can be played comfortably with keyboard only. Highly recommended.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Any of the Telltale Games adventure games would suffice. None of them require quick mouse movement, and all of them are fun.
All of the good turn based games like Heroes of Might and Magic, and Galactic Civilizations would work well too. The most recent good turn based games are XCOM and Fallen Enchantress.

I often will play nethack with the same setup you mention.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Why go to class if you are going to be playing games?
i sub sometimes, so a lot of the time, the assignment is to hand out something for them to read, and thats about it. Also the time between classes it might just be me and my laptop - nothing else (mouse, gamepad, etc)

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
FTL :) Endless Space

havent had a chance to play all of the games recommended, but I have to say I LOVE FTL so far.

Playing with a mouse is nice, but having to pause to set up moves is no big deal. I still havent beaten it on easy yet. I got to the flagship, and beat it once, but i didnt anticipate having to beat it again, so i got killed the second time i faced it. Cant imagine how hard this game is on "normal".

One complaint I have is that steam cloud doesnt seem to work for this game (playing on a mac and pc). Not a big deal, but it would be nice to get some ships and other things that i unlocked when im playing on my laptop. Achievements would be nice too.