Best games of all time that you always keep coming back to?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

John1780

Feb 28, 2021
Well what can I say - i found the mechanics, gameplay and story more interesting. The story was not like the greatest thing ever but nor was that true in bioshock - i just found it more interesting. The ending twist which i did not totally expect but suspected is somewhat similar to a book i read a long long time ago though I cannot remember the exact name it tells the story of a person who is but then at the end isn't.

Oh and yea not as many freakin turrets.

I prefer the gameplay and storyline of 1&2 and the environment of Infinite. I feel that the storyline ambitions of the latter were too ambitious to fully realize, but man did they ever create an immersive world to take in.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Games that get the most time or most replays:

Mario Cart Wii
Far Cry 2
Poly Bridge 1 and 2
Beat Saber

Favorite games:

Call Of Duty series - has the most memorable levels, Volga River and Point Du Hoc
Far Cry 1 - love the open levels and steath vs kill em all options
Alyx - the pinacle of modern gaming IMHO and this is from someone who liked but did not love Half Life
Portal 1 and 2
Crysis series
Far Cry 2
BioShock series - best characters ever

Far Cry 1 is one of my favorite games because in a way it is one of the most realistic. For example ammo and heath isn't just laying around in random places. Ammo is in huts or amories in logical places. Also your big advantage is the "radar" built into the binoculars. The binoculars work because everything on the island has been "chipped", except you, giving you a huge advantage. Other games require more effort to "suspend disbelief".

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I prefer the gameplay and storyline of 1&2 and the environment of Infinite. I feel that the storyline ambitions of the latter were too ambitious to fully realize, but man did they ever create an immersive world to take in.

Same here. I wish they had done more with the whole Columbia setting instead of having all the alternate universe stuff. The DLCs are better gameplay-wise but just make the story confusing.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
- Yeah, that's the Cyberdemon.

No harm in looking up some tactics on how to beat him. Unlike a lot of Doom encounters, the bosses require some precision movement, not just frenetic running/shooting/glory killing like a lot of the Arenas call for.

They also telegraph the heck out of their attacks.

Start with your heaviest weapon first, then work your way down to the weakest when fighting bosses. No need to try and preserve valuable heavy weapons ammo on those encounters.

Yay, finally got past that bit!

Though at my present rate it's far from certain I'll get through this game before I die of old age (or Covid gets to me).

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

bejellio

Mar 29, 2021
Some of my favorites to go back to are (not necessarily old)

1. Half life 2
  2. Stellaris
  3. Supreme Commander series
  4. Factorio
  5. 7 Days to die
  6. Minecraft with the kids

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Green Beret
Dynamite Dan
Pac Man
Frogger
Moon Patrol
Doom Classic
System Shock 1 and 2
Heretic Classic
Mortal Kombat II (Kano)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Bet not as quickly as Far Cry 4 though.
I dont know how fast you can finish that. Most of the cut scenes are not skippable, and theres a lot of required crap.

Also, the secret ending to Far Cry 5 is literally one minute.
The secret ending to Far Cry 4 is 15 minutes.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Pharaoh
Sim City 4
Starcraft 2
Smash Bros 3DS
Gran Turismo (any of them)

Here's hoping AoE 4 becomes my new RTS squeeze....not holding my breath though.

WoodrowJones

May 5, 2021
I always wanted to go back to my school days to be able to play these two games Half life, Far Cry 2, but now it's a pity.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I always wanted to go back to my school days to be able to play these two games Half life, Far Cry 2, but now it's a pity.
Because you haven't been able to create the time machine yet? Otherwise, I don't see how it's a "pity" since you can still play those games.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well... there is black mesa which was finally release in full if you really want to replay half-life....

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Older graphics don't mean anything. The gameplay is still the same, so I don't see why you can't just play them now. Far Cry 2 hasn't aged that bad and if you don't want the dated graphics, Black Mesa is always available as a replacement for Half Life.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Half Life was really a major stepping stone in FPS games and is still a game that holds up remarkably well today (although the graphics can be a bit hard on the eyes).

Definitely starts a little slow but by the time the Marines and Black Ops shows up the action can kick way up to OG Doom levels of run and gun insanity. Had to wait until Doom 2016 till I found another game that favors that sort of "Action Forward" playstyle.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
doom 2016 was a lot of fun - but oddly i could never replay it - i haven't played the lastest doom - there was some reason - i think it required an online account with bethesda or something stupid like that - so i'm not sure if it is any good.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Older games:
OpenTTD
Total Annihilation Core Contingency

These are still kinda newish (less than 10 years old), but, i've played them and come back to them at least once or twice every year, since 2013 Kenshi/2014 Rimworld)
Rimworld
Kenshi

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Finaly Fantasy series. And for some damn reason, I cannot stop playing Counter-Strike (GO in this instance).

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I don't know if it counts (especially with this being in PC), but due to the amount of randomizers coming out, I've been going back and playing through the classics again (Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3/6, Secret of Evermore, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night). I would normally play these games anyways about once every year or two, but now that I can customize what aspects are randomized within the game, it's actually really addicting. Though I suppose since I'm playing them on an emulator on PC, this still counts, right?