Best games of all time that you always keep coming back to?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
That game still looks quite good, and is an example of how game graphics haven't improved all that much over the last 6-7 years. I played all the DA games for the first time last year. It does have a lot a filler and is more drawn out than it should be, although I still liked it much better than Mass Effect Andromeda.

- I like the gameplay of Andromeda and the story of Inquisition. Enemies are so God damn spongey in Inquisition and the semi open world garbage is so tedious that the whole game was good for one play through and I could never do it again. I have gone through Origins and 2 a dozen times each, Inquisition was just too much filler.

Trespasser is an INCREDIBLE DLC though, and shows that Bioware knew how to make a strong story focused linear experience. If only the entire game followed the same hub and spoke model.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yes I tend to just run past enemies in the open world areas or avoid them, since it's tedious to keep fighting them repeatedly. Even the top crafted weapons aren't that good against them. The story and dialogue were great though, way better than MEA.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
After being hugely disappointed in Baldurs Gate III and unsuccessfully trying again to get into Pillars of Eternity I decided it was time for another run through the Pools series of TSR gold box games.
The gold box games were my favorite. Played most of the RPGs - Wizardry, Ultima, Might & Magic, Wasteland, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape. Bought just about everything from EA, Sierra, SSG back in the 80's. Probably still have the C-64 cartridges for a lot of games.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Binding of Isaac. It's the one game I have uninstalled many times over the years yet just got back to reinstalling it months later to play around for a bit.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Binding of Isaac. It's the one game I have uninstalled many times over the years yet just got back to reinstalling it months later to play around for a bit.
I just always keep it installed for this reason. Same with Terraria. They take up a very small amount of hard disk space and they are both incredibly fun to just jump into for a few hours.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've been coming back to Scott Pilgrim vs the World on PS3 for a decade, it's nice to see it show up on other platforms finally.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just started another round of Far Cry 5.
Its far from perfect, yet somehow manages to be quite engaging.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Every year or so I have another go at getting past the mid-game boss in Doom 2016, before again deciding it's impossible and giving up again. Clearly I'm never going to see the rest of the game.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Fallout 3-NV-4
TW: Warhammer I&II
Half life series
GTA SA&V
Gears Of War Ultimate
Master Chief Collection
Crysis
Batman Arkham games

Console -
Gears of War 2&3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1&2
Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Spiderman 2
Conan

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Every year or so I have another go at getting past the mid-game boss in Doom 2016, before again deciding it's impossible and giving up again. Clearly I'm never going to see the rest of the game.

- Which boss are you referencing? CyberDemon? Hell Guard?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
- Which boss are you referencing? CyberDemon? Hell Guard?

I dunno. The Lazarus Labs one. The one that launches all kinds of attacks that you can't seem to dodge and which pretty quickly kill you!

I tried turning down the difficulty and I'm still too crap to get past it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I dunno. The Lazarus Labs one. The one that launches all kinds of attacks that you can't seem to dodge and which pretty quickly kill you!

I tried turning down the difficulty and I'm still too crap to get past it.

- Yeah, that's the Cyberdemon.

No harm in looking up some tactics on how to beat him. Unlike a lot of Doom encounters, the bosses require some precision movement, not just frenetic running/shooting/glory killing like a lot of the Arenas call for.

They also telegraph the heck out of their attacks.

Start with your heaviest weapon first, then work your way down to the weakest when fighting bosses. No need to try and preserve valuable heavy weapons ammo on those encounters.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
- Yeah, that's the Cyberdemon.

No harm in looking up some tactics on how to beat him. Unlike a lot of Doom encounters, the bosses require some precision movement, not just frenetic running/shooting/glory killing like a lot of the Arenas call for.

They also telegraph the heck out of their attacks.

Start with your heaviest weapon first, then work your way down to the weakest when fighting bosses. No need to try and preserve valuable heavy weapons ammo on those encounters.

When I tried to look for hints before the only advice I found was "shoot it till it dies". Which wasn't very helpful! But I'll look at that link, and bear it in mind when I feel up to to my next attempt to actually see the rest of that game!

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Another game that is really fun even after the test of time is wizardry 8. The only misery of this game is the map is static and so it does get a bit old.

Btw how can a new game be mentioned (a new game is less than 10 years old ;) ); since it has not yet had test of time to see if it is a great game that continues to be revisited? Maybe we need a thread where we predict such games from the new crop ?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Maybe we need a thread where we predict such games from the new crop ?
It's always possible to start a thread like that, but if the sole purpose is to predict if they become classics, that's going to be an extremely long thread. Post a game, then come back in a decade to verify if your prediction was correct.

For me, a game can be mediocre at first, but over time become outstanding. Terraria is a perfect example of a game that was pretty decent at launch but is now one of my all-time favorites. It took a few years and countless patches/updates, but Redigit kept updating and adding new things to the game which kept it fun. On the other hand, there's also games that came out guns blazing, but due to the lackluster support or just simply because they were released too early, interest waned and now it's just another game title in my expanding library that won't likely be reinstalled again.

John1780

Feb 28, 2021
I'm a sucker for the HL and Bioshock series, the latter of which are probably my favorite games bar none. Going back a bit, still love Mechwarrior 2 + Mercs, but that's mostly due to playing the board game as well. Baldur's Gate series is in there somewhere as well. More play throughs on it than I can count.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I loved Bioshock so much, I wrote a guide for collecting extra Little Sisters in various levels (basically spawning extra Big Daddies) but GameFAQs rejected the guide twice and said the guide didn't have enough substance. I got burnt out after that because I was running the levels over and over again while testing new theories people were coming up with for spawning extra BDs. I haven't played the first one since then, I never finished the second game since it felt like a travesty, and I finally finished Infinite only to be underwhelmed by the twist ending.

Reactions: John1780

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I loved Bioshock so much, I wrote a guide for collecting extra Little Sisters in various levels (basically spawning extra Big Daddies) but GameFAQs rejected the guide twice and said the guide didn't have enough substance. I got burnt out after that because I was running the levels over and over again while testing new theories people were coming up with for spawning extra BDs. I haven't played the first one since then, I never finished the second game since it felt like a travesty, and I finally finished Infinite only to be underwhelmed by the twist ending.
which is weird because I've seen some VERY brief guides on GameFAQs.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I'm probably one of the few (only?) person who prefers infinite to the original bioshock.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dunno about him, but Infinite feels way more open, and theres plenty of happy well-lit scenes mixed in with the dark spooky stuff so its a nice contrast.
Also the magic powers in Infinite seem more useful and functional.

And not as many freakin turrets!!!!

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well what can I say - i found the mechanics, gameplay and story more interesting. The story was not like the greatest thing ever but nor was that true in bioshock - i just found it more interesting. The ending twist which i did not totally expect but suspected is somewhat similar to a book i read a long long time ago though I cannot remember the exact name it tells the story of a person who is but then at the end isn't.

Oh and yea not as many freakin turrets.

Would you kindly explain why?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ok, I just realized something about Far Cry 5.
If you know exactly what you're doing and are good at the game, you can beat it very quickly. Like too quick.