Best games of all time that you always keep coming back to?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
KOTOR 1 (and KOTOR 2 to a lesser extent)
Witcher 3
Age of Empires franchise
Skyrim
Battle for Middle Earth 2 (havent played it for a while now though)

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
For PC:
Starcraft Brood Wars/Warcraft 2 BNE
Grim Dawn - I usually run this twice a year so I get to experience all the new loot, secret bosses, and changes. Crate does an outstanding job of keeping their game updated with tons of stuff constantly being added.
Terraria - The final content update was released. Red says it's finally finished.
Binding of Isaac

For consoles, there's a lot of classics I'll replay but my favorites are still:
GTA: San Andreas
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Valkyrie Profile

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Age Of Empires 1 - 2 - and 3
Age Of Mythology
The Fall of Max Payne

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Most of mine are some of the originals from decades ago.

Diablo 1, 2, 3
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer Red Alert
Command and Conquer Tiberian Wars
Duke Nukem
Crysis 1, 2, 3
Ashes of Singularity
Leisure Suit Larry
Nuclear War
Quake
Doom
Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV, V, VI

I will add more once I dust off a few more from my shelf.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Games that I come back to pretty often:
Rimworld
Europe Universalis 4
X4
Stellaris
Galactic Civilization 2
Final Fantasy 1 through 6

I can't say these are really my favorite games, but I often come back when I want to play something relaxing. Beyond FF, these are all sandbox games, which are always less stressful than story driven games for me.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer Red Alert
Command and Conquer Tiberian Wars

I keep coming back to the C&C games all the time too. I have been playing some of the big mod projects for them like Mental Omega, Twisted Insurrection and The Forgotten.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I keep coming back to the C&C games all the time too. I have been playing some of the big mod projects for them like Mental Omega, Twisted Insurrection and The Forgotten.

They were first ladder games I played. I hated it when you beat someone, they exited the game once they knew they were done and you never got credit for the beat down. Still love the games though. I need to look into those big mod projects. This might re-ignite my C&C passion.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
World of Tanks
X-Com 2 War of the Chosen
Games like, pathfinder, pillars of eternity, divinity, neverwinter nights etc.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Team Fortress 2
I tried loading it up a few months ago and it seemed like every server was either empty or full of people just dancing around and screaming on the mic wanting the whole server to do something stupid for their video. I miss TF2 back in the day - right before the hats were introduced.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I tried loading it up a few months ago and it seemed like every server was either empty or full of people just dancing around and screaming on the mic wanting the whole server to do something stupid for their video. I miss TF2 back in the day - right before the hats were introduced.

If you went to some community servers, that's possible. Also there have been a lot of bots. But if you queue up for casual through matchmaking you can sometimes get a good match going. I just finished the halloween events and got the Chicken Kiev cosmetic, which surprised me. It's a highly sought-after Halloween cosmetic for Heavy.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i've been tempted to start another game of Darksiders 3. Despite being a souls-lite game, I love the music, the character, the weapons, the villains....it's a great game.
i really hope they do a full-on Darksiders 4 for Strife, and maybe a Gears of War-like series finale

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
i've been tempted to start another game of Darksiders 3. Despite being a souls-lite game, I love the music, the character, the weapons, the villains....it's a great game.
i really hope they do a full-on Darksiders 4 for Strife, and maybe a Gears of War-like series finale
I've been wanting to get into the Darksider series. It's been in my library for years but I never get around to starting it. Roughly, how long are the games (hours-wise)?

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I've been wanting to get into the Darksider series. It's been in my library for years but I never get around to starting it. Roughly, how long are the games (hours-wise)?

Steam says I put in 41 hours for Darksiders (84% achievements) and 88 hours for Darksiders II (96% achievements)

I tend to be compulsive about getting Steam achievements for those games that have them, so play time is longer than a standard run through.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Steam says I put in 41 hours for Darksiders (84% achievements) and 88 hours for Darksiders II (96% achievements)

I tend to be compulsive about getting Steam achievements for those games that have them, so play time is longer than a standard run through.

i logged quite a bit less than you lol

Darksiders: 18hrs
Darksiders2: 51hrs
Darksiders3: 71hrs (2x completions, 1x DLC)

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
i logged quite a bit less than you lol

Darksiders: 18hrs
Darksiders2: 51hrs
Darksiders3: 71hrs (2x completions, 1x DLC)

Steam achievement hunting...I remember specifically re-starting the first game because there were missable achievements at the very start of the game....that I subsequently discovered I missed.

jagdishsingh

Dec 22, 2020
No doubt that has to be GTA 5 for me. From its announcements to teasers to trailers taking more then 2 years to launch in 2012 and still running good till now. I cannot think of any other game that I love to come back again and again. Even after more thann 8 years of its success, it is still going strong with a vry active community of GTA Online and still Rockstar Studios are earning a lot from its online platform which is forcing GTA 6's launch to be pushed further.