Best Free File Encrytion Software for Win XP?

Ordskii

Nov 20, 2007
What have you all used for file encryption software? I am looking for free or very low cost options. There are several available, so I wondered what ones you all find best.

I plan to encrypt a small partition on my data drive, and to do the same on my free agent portable. (I have not yet explored the software that come with this drive.)

Thanks.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Chances are anything that comes *bundled* with consumer hardware == RUBBISH.

Here's the one that seems very capable and popular:
http://www.truecrypt.org/

I'm not aware that any competent outside parties have thoroughly reviewed its security in a formal audit of any version, however, and am almost sure it wouldn't have been done for the latest version which is only two weeks old.

However there are few and far between projects that are entirely open source and which are very well objectively and competently audited for security by disinterested parties.

Anything that is closed source may be well reputed, but in the end, you can't trust fully anything you can't verify yourself.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
PS and it is for *partition* type encryption (though you can create a VIRTUAL PARTITION INSIDE JUST A SINGLE FILE).

If you had wanted FILE encryption that'd apply just to a few discrete files, then you could be looking at other options like 7-zip or gpg or whatever that can just as easily (or maybe more so) operate as file utilities for just one or a few files.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
I use Truecrypt to encrypt the entire harddrive on my laptop. As Quixotic said, you can also encrypt just one partition or encrypt a file that shows up as a virtual partition.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Truecrypt is great for encrypting disks/partitions etc, but what about an app that can encrypt a single file (doesn't even need to use public key or key pair, even a simple pre-shared pw would be fine). How about something that will let you encrypt text that you could then paste into an email or IM etc? Any suggestions?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
AxCrypt is good for single files/small encryption jobs.

TrueCrypt for everything else. ;)

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Truecrypt is great for encrypting disks/partitions etc, but what about an app that can encrypt a single file (doesn't even need to use public key or key pair, even a simple pre-shared pw would be fine). How about something that will let you encrypt text that you could then paste into an email or IM etc? Any suggestions?

There are archivers like 7-zip that can handle one file or several:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Also there's gpg which can encrypt or sign a file with a public/private key system.
http://www.gnupg.org/

For just a string of text, that's a little harder since typically encrypted output is composed
of all possible binary byte values, not all of which you'd typically be able to paste into most programs... i.e. the encrypted data is binary not text.

So then you'd have to convert that to ASCII or another unicode type acceptable character set that can be pasted and transmitted without data loss, typically by encoding it in ASCII-HEX or Base64 or whatever.

Also for the recipient to be able to decode it, they'd need the same key in a shared private key system or you'd have to encrypt it with their public key in a public key system.

It might be easier to use an IM system that already can use some kind of encryption like some JABBER clients can (AFAIK) if that is sufficiently secure and useful for you.

Otherwise you'd probably want to use something like GPG followed by some kind of binary to text converter like some email message formatting options for it will do to get your readable / copy-paste text.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
^^
Yeah, that is a really cool paper. And there are mitigations you can take, but it does make people think about the assumptions they make about hardware.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
only if you catch it within what, 2min or less. I've read that it could even be less than a 60 second window. Thats bloody minor unless you know it will be a problem for you, and for most people it won't be.

Originally posted by: Modelworks
None of them anymore:(
If they want it they will get it now.

http://citp.princeton.edu/memory/