best field to work in?

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
for people who just graduated and they are in their 20s

for those who have worked in various industries, please chime in with your thoughts!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Consulting isn't an industry per se. You consult within an industry, generally an industry you have experience in, otherwise someone would have to be an idiot to hire you as a consultant.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Engineering is awesome. Designing airplanes is fun. Also, it would be safe to say defense=engineering.

I have solid hours and even get paid overtime despite being salaried (although I only charge overtime if I have to, I still probably work 50 hours a week, but only because I enjoy it).

Nov 7, 2000
lots of money in defense

lots of money in consulting if you have no soul

starting to see a big void in mech e and geology and other classical engineering professions

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Gambling. If you bet everything you have on black, you can double your money very quickly. :thumbsup:

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Healthcare. Specifically, healthcare IS analysis, design, and development. It's the single fastest growing specific segment in all of IT, and probably one of the fastest in the entire job market.

viking66

Jan 19, 2003
pharmacist. baby boomers getting older drive up meds usage, doctors are open to law suits.. pharmacist program doesnt take 80g and 8 years of college.. pay is good.. jobs are anywhere for this...

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: fritolays
for people who just graduated and they are in their 20s

for those who have worked in various industries, please chime in with your thoughts!

Depends... what do you enjoy? What kind of work / personal life do you want?

I'm an engineer working in the power industry and I really enjoy it. I don't have long hours (8 to 5) unless there is a storm that damages they power grid / distribution system.

Adfaw

Sep 9, 2006
Although anything is probably good as long as you work good at it. I think banking presents some of the best opportunities for real money making. Working at a back helped me to understand the money system better and I was able to look into investments a lot easier that way. Engineering and all those other jobs you depend mostly on the income you receive from your boss, but banking is a little different. Even if you do have a boss, you are a banker! So, assuming you aren't lazy, you should be informed enough to save your money and make good investmest, so that not only do you make an income at work, but know how to turn that income into quality investments. I like banking anyways for that reason. I think it gives people freedom and accesibility to a lot of useful financial benefits.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
Consulting isn't an industry per se. You consult within an industry, generally an industry you have experience in, otherwise someone would have to be an idiot to hire you as a consultant.

Not necessarily, maangement consulting firms such as McKinsey, BCG, and Bain hire fresh college grads all the time, and train them all on their own. Plus you get paid pretty well.

sunase

Nov 28, 2002
kayaking tour guide would be pretty cool, i'm getting tired of sitting in front of a computer all day at work

pinoy

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2000
based on responses, really depends on an individual. what are the things you like doing? What's your degree? Don't tell me you finished college without a plan (even the vaguest one).

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Sorry for only asking a question, but which of these fields listed, or other fields, would the money be the best?

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
You wont get rich by punching the clock. The best you can do is set yourself up with funds and expdriance to go it on your own and capitalize on any opprotinities that you can pick up on.

Myself, when I get my money I am going to by some land and a tractor and play with that between my camping/fishing/road trips.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
Something you enjoy.

seriously....

i personally love product design/development.. so i can work in defense designing missile systems, or at palm designing the new treo... whatever it is, creating and designing is something i love to do and wish i could do... i can't wait till i have that one job i can call a career..