Best Family Dog

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
<3 my australian shepard. Extremely smart, lots of personality, very very active, and just loves to be loved and gives back just as much

Kao

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Well, it sounds like you are good for most breeds with your home and life style. If you want to go with a classic family bog (golden, lab etc..) you can find some that are slightly smaller than average but they still won't be a ?lap dog?.

I would say study the website I linked in the first page and look at all the small breeds, I think you will find they aren't all the little yippers that come to mind when you think lap dog. Find what breeds you like and then start looking around at shelters or a local breeder.

Hybrids (Muts) are some times the best choice. You can get a awesome dog if you get the right mix, it may also help wash out some of the bad genetic traits like hip dysplasia. But make sure you KNOW what the mix is, if the dog is a tri-mix and they only know what two of them are be VERY careful about taking it home. You may end up with a dog that is way too hyper or is bad around kids. Learn all you can about the breeds that it is mixed with to see what it's temperament is like and any health problems that the breed has before you take it home.

Never take a dog home knowing nothing about the breed because your wife thinks it's cute, it's cute right up until it's 90lbs and chewing on your lazy boy. :)

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Compromise... get a medium size dog. Small enough you could pick it up... big enough it could bite someone and actually hurt them. I've got a Vizla (almost 14yo :shocked: ) and love him to death. Beautiful dog, smart, protective and amusing (loves to chase lights and shadows :p).

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Good thing my sister recently got her dog, so I can recommend it. It's a kickass dog. Small, not yappy, VERY intelligent, doesn't shed, etc. It's a Havanese. Great dog, kind of pricey though. My family has had a Golden Retriever, German Shepherd, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and now this Havanese. Since you have to compromise your wife, I'd whole heartedly recommend the Havanese.

Show dog Havanese are ridiculously ugly IMO. Just get them groomed to a "puppy coat" and they're awesome :).

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
rat small is bad. get a corgi or something. its got a big dogs head on a medium small dogs body lol:)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Sluggo
I would get a muttified Bullmastiff. Ours is a cross with a Great Dane, but he was the runt of the litter, so he maxed out at about 80lbs.

Best dog ever. Loves to play, and is completely non-aggressive around kids, but still very protective. Lazy as crap and will sleep 20 hours a day if you want, but will also play all day if you want. He will also be a lapdog if you let him. He loves to lay on the floor with me and watch TV.

Me and my 80lb mutt.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bullmastiff.htm

Very cool. :cool:

animalia

Banned
Dec 15, 2006
Westie....Hates cats...excellent with children. sturdy, non-fussy terrier all round great dog is the west highland terrier. excellent comprimise IMO for you and your wife. Small enough to be carried yet big enough to kill rats and other rodents which is what they were bred to do. they are very noble. I am getting one soon because my Apt doesnt allow large dogs. yuor daughter will love it.

Edit...westies are only destructive if they don't get much deserved attention and exercise. otherwise they are completely obedient with proper training. they have great personalities. The site says to buy from a breeder and not a pet sotre as well fyi.

edit 2...also check out Cairn Terriers...as seen in the wizard of oz although most would object to being carried around in a basket (how embarrassing)

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Go with a lab, get a puppy so your wife will fall in love with it right away, then once its grown it can be your dog to run around in the woods with.

esun

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: allies
Good thing my sister recently got her dog, so I can recommend it. It's a kickass dog. Small, not yappy, VERY intelligent, doesn't shed, etc. It's a Havanese. Great dog, kind of pricey though. My family has had a Golden Retriever, German Shepherd, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and now this Havanese. Since you have to compromise your wife, I'd whole heartedly recommend the Havanese.

Show dog Havanese are ridiculously ugly IMO. Just get them groomed to a "puppy coat" and they're awesome :).

I know someone with a Havanese and it is yappy (just not as much as some other dogs). I'd be careful of that.

OSX

Feb 9, 2006
Get a boxer, they're great. They're non-aggressive and very protective.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Get a lab before a shepard....I was just walking by my neighbors fence the other day and their German Shepard jumped up and reached over and bit my arm, left a bloody gash....

They are good dogs, but super defensive and can lead to problems.

If you need a guard dog, cool, otherwise get something a little more laid back :)

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
It isnt a dog if it is smaller than my normal cat :) 10-14lbs

I know some freak cats that are 20lbs+ but 15+lbs to be a dog :)

Beagles are cool if you have lots of room to run them and play... hyper ass dogs...

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Best family dogs. Great with kids, very affectionate and intelligent.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
lab, golden retriever are awesome dogs.

a beagle will probably be a fair compromise, although, my cousin's late beagle did bark a lot :(.

if you just want a small dog, minature (sp!!) schnuauzer (sp!!) are awesome!!! my friend has one, and he's friendly, funny, and very well trained (apparently, it didn't take much to train him. he's extremely clean).

jakedeez

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2005
Get a lab puppy. She will love it, and they are irresistible as pups. Then they get reasonably large. Get a field, or American lab, black or chocolate.