Best DSLR Camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FrankSchwab

Nov 8, 2002
A shade for front of the lens like http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wc...oduct_Search&utm_campaign=Google_Product_Feed

Keeps sunlight from the side from causing visible artifacts on the image. The link above shows a good example of this.

This is a great thread, guys, so I'll threadjack just a little bit. Are there any good entry-level DSLR's that are capable of charging the battery IN the camera? I don't expect to take enough photos to need to carry multiple batteries, but plugging the camera into a USB charger (wall outlet, 12V outlet, or laptop) overnight and being ready to go is high on my list of convenience items. The battery packs in these things are 1/3 the capacity of an iPad3, which comfortably charges anywhere I am (though it might take a couple of days from a standard USB port...).

/frank

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
With regards to canon; the T2i and T3i are basically identical except that the T3i has a flip-out screen which is handy for video recording. Not sure if that's worth the extra money to you or not. I just went with the T2i

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
A shade for front of the lens like http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wc...oduct_Search&utm_campaign=Google_Product_Feed

Keeps sunlight from the side from causing visible artifacts on the image. The link above shows a good example of this.

This is a great thread, guys, so I'll threadjack just a little bit. Are there any good entry-level DSLR's that are capable of charging the battery IN the camera? I don't expect to take enough photos to need to carry multiple batteries, but plugging the camera into a USB charger (wall outlet, 12V outlet, or laptop) overnight and being ready to go is high on my list of convenience items. The battery packs in these things are 1/3 the capacity of an iPad3, which comfortably charges anywhere I am (though it might take a couple of days from a standard USB port...).

/frank

No.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
Honestly, the difference between Canon and Nikon is very very small.

Both have great cameras and great systems from the bottom end through the best in the world professional gear and prices ranging from $300 for a full SLR kit (refurb) to $50,000 for a good kit with lenses.

I think Canons are slightly better for video these days.

Nikon probably has the better features for still photography on the high-end, and has a better flash system for accurate flash, and for wireless off-camera setups.

Both have great lenses. Nikon has the advantage of being able to use any Nikkor lens made since the 1960s, Canons only work with lenses made since the 1990s, but those older lenses are usually specialty things anyway and are (obviously) manual-focus only, so it's probably not a huge consideration.

One of the biggest things i suggest to people is to get a system that is compatible with any friends they have. If your buddy shoots with a Canon, you should get one. You guys can even do things like go in half on a good telephoto and share it for your kids sport events, or a good wide angle, and share it depending on who's vacation is scheduled or who is going on a hike, or who is selling their house (wide angles are great for landscapes and indoor architecture).

But other than that, get whatever is on sale.

I'm a Nikon user myself, but that's just because I found a better deal on a Nikon-compatible SLR when I purchased my first 16 years ago, and the lenses and accessories make it hard to switch systems.

AraB.

Nov 22, 2012
www.balian.org
One of the biggest things i suggest to people is to get a system that is compatible with any friends they have. If your buddy shoots with a Canon, you should get one. You guys can even do things like go in half on a good telephoto and share it for your kids sport events, or a good wide angle, and share it depending on who's vacation is scheduled or who is going on a hike, or who is selling their house (wide angles are great for landscapes and indoor architecture).

I agree with you, but the problem is none of my friends own a DSLR! :p
Also, what happens if I am a Nikon Shooter & my friend a Canon Shooter? We aren't going to exchange lenses so this isn't going to affect parties... I can shoot 100s, my friend can shoot 100s, then we check the pics together and choose the best ones!! Maybe Nikon's lens in wide angle is better than canon's, and canon's lens in telephoto is better than nikon's....

Anyways, thank you for your suggestion.
By the way which model number do you use? I'm thinking of buying a Nikon D3200 or Canon T3i.

Thanks again,
Ara

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
I agree with you, but the problem is none of my friends own a DSLR! :p
Also, what happens if I am a Nikon Shooter & my friend a Canon Shooter? We aren't going to exchange lenses so this isn't going to affect parties... I can shoot 100s, my friend can shoot 100s, then we check the pics together and choose the best ones!! Maybe Nikon's lens in wide angle is better than canon's, and canon's lens in telephoto is better than nikon's....

Anyways, thank you for your suggestion.
By the way which model number do you use? I'm thinking of buying a Nikon D3200 or Canon T3i.

Thanks again,
Ara

Personally, I have a D700 and a D90, both are over 3 years old and are a little higher end. When new they were the $1000 model and the $3000 model, roughly equivalent to the D800 and D7000 today.

The D3200 is a very nice camera. I'm always an advocate of upgrading the lenses before the camera body though, as it will result in better photos and will hold value better. Get a refurb D3100 and spend the extra $200 on a lens, like a 35mm f/1.8.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
My budget is less than $1000 and it will be more perfect if less than $600-800.
Which brand do you recommend and which brand has cheap lenses?

Don't go for "cheap lenses" as the deciding factor. What you should look for is the best lenses you can afford which gives you enough coverage for the majority of your photography. The typical kit 18-55 is among the best bargains for starter lenses, and it makes sense for most people. You can add to that later on if you want. Many casual users don't. Sometimes off-brand lenses give the best value, and these are available for multiple systems.

That said, for ~$1000 you could get step-up kit -- e.g. the T4i with 18-135 from B&H (add to cart to see the discount and shipping costs) -- a do-everything sort of combination which might save you over the longer run by avoiding a second lens purchase while also reducing the overall bulk and issues with lens switching.

charlywiggin

Oct 3, 2011
The bodies are on par....its about the lens..and now manufactures are supporting different brands...I'd say just go to the store and try one...even better you can rent one for cheap nowadays....