Best DirectX 12 Game

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
DX12/Vulkan is an equal failure. In virtually every multi-API game there's at least one instance where DX11/OpenGL runs better on at least one vendor. Also if you watch later patches in many of the games (e.g. Tomb Raider Rise) you'll see the low level APIs fail in ways no longer covered in mainstream reviews (e.g. crashing black screen, stuttering, etc).

It all depends on the quality of the implementation. Early DX11 titles often ran worse than DX9 as well, because developers had to learn to utilize the API properly. The same thing is happening with DX12/Vulkan, except the learning curve is much greater due to the APIs being much more complex and requiring a lot more manual input.

But when it's done properly, DX12/Vulkan blows DX11/OpenGL out of the water, no question about it. One of the best examples of that is with Doom. Both vendors got large increases in performance, due to OpenGL being fundamentally single threaded. Wolfenstein 2 builds upon that foundation even more, as the game outperforms Doom while having greater IQ and more graphical effects.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Both vendors got large increases in performance, due to OpenGL being fundamentally single threaded...
This is new to me, can you please elaborate? We have buffer objects and rendering contexts almost since forever.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
This is new to me, can you please elaborate? We have buffer objects and rendering contexts almost since forever.

What I mean is, that OpenGL lacks an actual multithreading model. This is one of the biggest reasons why DirectX has outpaced it over the years. DX11 has a multithreaded model which uses deferred contexts and essentially thread safe resource creation.

With OpenGL on the other hand, you can only have one context per thread active at any given time. I noticed severe performance issues with OpenGL when I played Doom for the first time in 2016 before the Vulkan pathway was available. Doom is mostly GPU oriented, but in certain areas, it becomes CPU limited and it was there that I experienced massive framerate drops with OpenGL. Of course, Vulkan rectified these issues completely (when NVidia finally released working drivers). In the most CPU taxing area of the game (Argent Tower), Vulkan improved my framerates by as much as 350% in one particular spot.