Best DDR Memory For Overclocking Epox 8rda+ and barton 2500+

ravemaster

Oct 5, 2003
is anyone know the best ddr ram for overclocking y barton 2500+ and epox 8rda+ ??
and i heard, if you want to overclock your barton to 200mhz + you must raise the Vdd voltage. is it true?
if it's true, is there any method without modding the mobo??

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
That held true for some of the older revisions... (1.0)

1.1 and now 2.0 are all perfectly fine.

I have a 1.1 rev and I can do 220 FSB on some Kingston Hyper X3200 2/3/3/7 2.8v

No need to increase the chipset voltage.

:p

rgreen83

Feb 5, 2003
Lots of motherboards have the option to up the vdd voltage in the bios. I am not familiar with Epox boards but as they are an enthusiast brand, I think they would have that in the bios.

As for memory, there is no such thing as "the best" memory, many are very good. Memory with tight timings is best with athlons. Corsair, ocz, mushkin, buffalo are a few that people have had the best luck with. Make sure you get dual channel matched pairs, it makes a difference. Check out the buffalo memory at newegg, great price/performance ratio.

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
I agree with all that, except for the matched pair. IMO it makes no difference. I've never used a matched pair of memory in an nforce2 board and have gotten great, error-free performance.

leetnewt

Feb 26, 2003
Originally posted by: pelikan
I agree with all that, except for the matched pair. IMO it makes no difference. I've never used a matched pair of memory in an nforce2 board and have gotten great, error-free performance.

I'd have to diagree on that, I have a EP-8rda+ and when using different ram eg. brand or speed, i get system lag and sometimes just reboots. But with same chips of make and speed, no problems. No lag or random shutdowns.

But again, this may defer by system.

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Originally posted by: leetnewt
Originally posted by: pelikan

I'd have to diagree on that, I have a EP-8rda+ and when using different ram eg. brand or speed, i get system lag and sometimes just reboots. But with same chips of make and speed, no problems. No lag or random shutdowns.

But again, this may defer by system.

Maybe we are saying the same thing actually. I would always use identical ram modules. I just don't think that buying a dual channel kit is necessary.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I've used both the same exact memory, as well as differing sticks with the SAME SPECS, and never had a single problem on my 8RDA+, nor on my current AU13.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
another vote for the mushkin just cause the mem timings are the best at high clock speeds