Best credit card for a HS student?

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
I've been looking at credit cards on BetterCreditCard.com and creditcards.com but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I just want a card that I can be accepted for even though I have no credit. I'd just like to find one thats got a fairly low APR (though I don't plan on carrying a balance) and I just want to use it for online purchases every once in a while so a high credit limit is not important (I'd be fine with $300 or even less). Any help would be appreciated :)

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I don't even know if a HS kid can get a credit card. Your best bet would be one of those student cards for college kids I would guess.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I would go with a debit card, and wait to get a credit card when in college. If you don't get acclimated to having virtual money first you might end up spending more money than you can actually afford. PayPal offers debit cards thru MasterCard.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
If you're not 18 yet, good luck. You will need it.
If you are, Citicards Dividend Platinum Select should do fine, and they'll probably approve you off the bat.
If that doesn't work, go to your bank, and open a checking account there and ask them about CCs as well.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
I don't even know if a HS kid can get a credit card. Your best bet would be one of those student cards for college kids I would guess.

on creditcards.com there is a section for student cards that says "Credit Cards for High School & College Students" and I'm 18, so I figured there should be some card out there for me :p

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Legendary
If you're not 18 yet, good luck. You will need it.
If you are, Citicards Dividend Platinum Select should do fine, and they'll probably approve you off the bat.
If that doesn't work, go to your bank, and open a checking account there and ask them about CCs as well.

I am 18, and I actually did look at the Citi Dividend Platinum Select (I believe my parents have one). I'll probably try for that one, thanks for the help :)

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
the one that I started on.

Citi Platinum Select. Get one that gives cash back if possible.

Oct 9, 1999
i've had my visa(rents co-signed) since i was in 11th grade. limit of 600.

i use it mainly for online purchases so even if i do decide to use all $600 credit on it, it's not going to put me into a huge debt problem.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Anubis
not haveing one i sbest

I don't agree with that, building credit is good. Get one, but be responsible with it. The earlier you can start building a GOOD credit history, the better.

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
None

This building credit crap is well crap. I didn't have one till later in life and have never had problem getting a loan.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: cyclistca
None

This building credit crap is well crap. I didn't have one till later in life and have never had problem getting a loan.

Credit building is not just about getting a loan, but also being able to get multiple loans at the lowest interest rate.

Contrary to your opinion, credit building is regarded by many as essential, especially when needing to make purchases such as an automobile or a home.