Best CPU Stressor Out There

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
80-85C under water? Somethings wrong there.

+1

And 120C under any kind of cooling whatsoever is problematic.

+1

What the hell are you doing that you managed to get a core temp of 120C on a watercooled rig?

Not a bit of wonder the chip doesn't overclock well, it sounds like it's suffering heat exhaustion...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't even think CoreTemp goes to 120. Every time that I've hit TJmax on a chip, it starts reading out wierd negative numbers, it doesn't keep going up.

I had my E2140 @ 3.2 hit 85C (TJmax) the other day. Turns out, the CPU fan wasn't spinning (no BIOS alarm for that for some reason). A wire from the PSU had gotten caught in the fan.

With the fan spinning, temps didn't exceed 60C for running OCCT linpack.

mcrumiller

Dec 18, 2008
I hit 120C when I was running almost 1.6v at 4.275 GHz. Right now I'm running 1.5125v at 4.18 GHz with VTT=1.24, and I max out at 93C with linpack.

All my watercooling is Swiftech, except for an EK block that I have over my Southbridge that also covers the HSI chip between the GPUs. My Swiftech pump is a 50 PSI. I'll take a picture when I have time so you can see my water circuit.

When I run my machine on stock settings with C1E enabled and all the other power-saving goodness, I was idling under 40C (around 35C I believe). When I check temps in the BIOS they're below 30C, before the OS is up and running.

Here's my basic water circuit:
reservoir-->pump-->radiator 1 --> radiator 2 --> CPU --> Northbridge --> GPU1 --> GPU2 --> Southbridge --> reservoir

Is it possible I disabled a thermal check in my BIOS that would turn off the CPU heat check? Core Temp definitely read 120C at that one point, but it could have been a misreading.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Make sure that TM2 (Thermal Monitor 2) is ENABLED in your BIOS, and set your BIOS CPU shutdown temp to something sane, like 90C.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: mcrumiller
All my watercooling is Swiftech, except for an EK block that I have over my Southbridge that also covers the HSI chip between the GPUs. My Swiftech pump is a 50 PSI. I'll take a picture when I have time so you can see my water circuit.

Here's my basic water circuit:
reservoir-->pump-->radiator 1 --> radiator 2 --> CPU --> Northbridge --> GPU1 --> GPU2 --> Southbridge --> reservoir

that doesnt help me. (well the picture would)

List your parts.

D5?
Apogee?
res?
what gpus?

There is no 50psi pump. My RD-30 doesnt even top that high.

LIST YOUR PARTS.

mcrumiller

Dec 18, 2008
mainboard components:
CPU - intel core 2 duo E8500 (stock 3.16 GHz)
motherboard - ASUS P5N72-T premium 780i
GPUs - NVIDIA GTX 280 x2
mem - G.Skill 2x4GB (1066 rated)
psup - Sparkle 900W

watercooling components:
Swiftech APOGEE GT Extreme Performance Universal Water-block (CPU)
Swiftech Radiator - MCR120 Quiet Power Series 120mm Heat Exchanger - Black (x2)
Swiftech MCP655? 12 VDC Pump (this is the 50 PSI one--here's the link: http://www.performance-pcs.com...=201&products_id=3112)
Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Water-block (northbridge)
EK-SB Striker 2 Formula Southbridge Water Block

Here's my overclock settings:
FSB - 1760 MHz (4x440)
CPU - 4108 MHz (9.5x440)
Memory timings: 4-4-4-10 T1 command rate trc=16 trd=7 825Mhz

voltages:
vcore - 1.525v
vtt - 1.24v
NB - 1.38v
gtlref - auto
SB - 1.5v
mem - 1.9v

Thanks for the help by the way, these temps are driving me nuts. I just took it apart a bit and verified that all fans are working properly, airflow is good. I took a few pictures but my camera died, and it's charging; I'll probably get them up tomorrow.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
mainboard components:
GPUs - NVIDIA GTX 280 x2
psup - Sparkle 900W

watercooling components:
Swiftech MCP655? 12 VDC Pump (this is the 50 PSI one--here's the link: http://www.performance-pcs.com...=201&products_id=3112)

FSB - 1760 MHz (4x440)
CPU - 4108 MHz (9.5x440)

voltages:
vcore - 1.525v
vtt - 1.24v
NB - 1.38v
gtlref - auto
SB - 1.5v
mem - 1.9v

Thanks for the help by the way, these temps are driving me nuts. I just took it apart a bit and verified that all fans are working properly, airflow is good. I took a few pictures but my camera died, and it's charging; I'll probably get them up tomorrow.

Well I'm not surprised your temps are shit. You're are asking for quite a lot of heat dissipation from only 2x MCR120 rads. I would have at expected to see a much bigger surface area of rads. I'm sure Aigo can advise on this.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
mainboard components:
GPUs - NVIDIA GTX 280 x2
psup - Sparkle 900W

watercooling components:

FSB - 1760 MHz (4x440)
CPU - 4108 MHz (9.5x440)

voltages:
vcore - 1.525v
vtt - 1.24v
NB - 1.38v
gtlref - auto
SB - 1.5v
mem - 1.9v

You have wayyyyyyyyyyy too much load on 120x2 rads.

even if you split it up, your asking for quite a lot.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Aigo, if the OP was to stick with a single loop, how many and what size rads would you recommend with the existing kit he has (pump, blocks, etc.)?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: daw123
Aigo, if the OP was to stick with a single loop, how many and what size rads would you recommend with the existing kit he has (pump, blocks, etc.)?

a fesser monsta.

mcrumiller

Dec 18, 2008
I'm thinking about getting another rad for my system. I have a friend who's been doing this a looooong time. He's got basically the same components (same case, same MB, etc.) and he's putting 3 rads in. the only real way to do it in there is to put two of the rads back to back on the front panel.

For the meanwhile, here's a picture of my opened system:
http://www.neddasty.com/misc/computer.jpg
The second radiator is located in the front. The airflow is as follows:
back radiator - airflow out
top fan - airflow out
front radiator - airflow in
psup fan - airflow out
HDD bay fans - airflow out

If I pointed both radiators out I'd have uneven air movement, and I don't think I can flip the integrated psup and HDD-bay fans.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: aigomorla

a fesser monsta.

Well they certainly got the name right; it is a monster. Where the hell can you fit that thing inside or outside of a full tower case? Presumably you would have to go with a push-pull fan config to cool the ah heck.

OP, heres a link showing you the size of this thing: http://www.overclock.net/water...fesser-monsta-pic.html

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

a fesser monsta.

Well they certainly got the name right; it is a monster. Where the hell can you fit that thing inside or outside of a full tower case? Presumably you would have to go with a push-pull fan config to cool the ah heck.

OP, heres a link showing you the size of this thing: http://www.overclock.net/water...fesser-monsta-pic.html

So how often do people just go to the junkyard and pickup a functioning radiator out of a junked car and use it for the LC rigs?

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
In my first reply, I didn't realise that you were cooling two GPUs as well. Who the heck told you that 2x MCR120s would be good enough on a single loop for the CPU, GPU x2, NB and SB?

And what case are using (it looks like a Lian li, but I'm probably wrong)?

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Idontcare

a fesser monsta.

So how often do people just go to the junkyard and pickup a functioning radiator out of a junked car and use it for the LC rigs?

I know what you mean. You could hook up your car rad to your liquid cooling rig. I wonder how effective this would be (considering that this rad isn't going to be cheap and you can pick up a scrappy car rad for $60)?

First impressions from the photograph are that its two 3x120mm rads joined together. Plus it looks as if it has 2x inlets and 2x outlets (one pair for each rad). Not sure if there is a chamber joining the two though (I haven't read the subsequent posts in the thread).

Edit for spelling. Are Anandtech going to add a spell checking facility for posts? It would be useful for people like myself who read their posts then find lots of spelng mstaks (sorry couldn't help myself :)).

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Edit for spelling. Are Anandtech going to add a spell checking facility for posts? It would be useful for people like myself who read their posts then find lots of spelng mstaks (sorry couldn't help myself :)).

Google toolbar with the spelling check feature FTW.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005

FSB - 1760 MHz (4x440)
CPU - 4108 MHz (9.5x440)

voltages:
vcore - 1.525v
vtt - 1.24v
NB - 1.38v
gtlref - auto
SB - 1.5v
mem - 1.9v

I don't get it. My system slightly outperforms yours (not on the video card side, obviously) and my temps are fine. (36-37C idle, 53-56C load.) Your Vcore is unacceptable. I could see it if you were cooling with water and shooting for 4.5-4.6 GHz, but not at levels at which I run daily with no issues and a very similar chip and fairly basic air cooling. (I have mine at 1.375, and I'm still nervous about it.)

I think if you want to reduce the system's temps, TURN DOWN THE VCORE! You do NOT need 1.525V Vcore for your current performance level. You just don't. All your other voltages are fine, by the way. If you do this I am pretty sure your temps will moderate. Even if they don't at least your CPU will last longer. As it is you've probably reduced its lifespan pretty dramatically. I don't want to alarm you, but it might already be too late.

In their documentation, Intel's max safe Vcore is 1.3625 for the Wolfdales. You are simply frying your chip right now. I can't understand why no one else has mentioned this. Maybe no one will listen to me, but I'm convinced I'm right about this. If you were running really high frequencies with the help of water cooling, I'd have nothing to say. But you're not.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
WA-A-AYYY TOOOO MUCH JUICE for an E8500, unless (a) your voltage sensors are "in the ballpark" for accuracy and (b) they show a load voltage less than 1.35 or 1.36V. Frankly, I think it would be safer if the idle voltage is less than 1.36V.

Also, with "external frequency" or CPU FSB speed of 440, I think you would want to set "VTT" to 1.30V <= CPU_VTT <=1.40V -- and try for less than 1.40V reading in the BIOS monitor.

mcrumiller

Dec 18, 2008
My CPU simple can't run at these speeds with less than 1.475v--I won't even boot into windows. I get BSOD'd. Stress tests fail immediately with anything less than 1.4875v, and until I go up to over 1.5v they fail within a few minutes.

I'll try booting right now at 1.375 at my current speeds with 1.34vtt, but I doubt it'll work.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
My CPU simple can't run at these speeds with less than 1.475v--I won't even boot into windows. I get BSOD'd. Stress tests fail immediately with anything less than 1.4875v, and until I go up to over 1.5v they fail within a few minutes.

I'll try booting right now at 1.375 at my current speeds with 1.34vtt, but I doubt it'll work.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. On a certain motherboard, I couldn't get my E8400 past 3.8 Ghz. On another motherboard with a later version of a similar chipset, I can get my E8600 to 4.250 Ghz with a voltage "setting" of 1.3625V and a sensor-reading of 1.3 to 1.34V under idle conditions. Under extreme LinPack IntelBurnTest load, the voltage reading droops to about 1.29V.

There are varying limitations to your choice of memory. There are varying limitations to your choice of motherboard. If you didn't already say you followed the accepted procedures, there are ways to eliminate the memory and chipset factors in order to find the limitations of the processor. Some E8500's will over-clock better, and some will over-clock worse, and the processor's VID may suggest how it fares with respect to other CPUs of the same model.

It seems to me that you're trying to achieve E8600 results with an E8500 CPU. Even if you succeed, you will push the processor to the extreme limit of what can be expected, and the probability that this will spell trouble later will increase.

mcrumiller

Dec 18, 2008
Bonzai: that's what I'm thinking right now. I think this is just a bad OC chip. Although 4.2 GHz is not the extreme limit of what can be expected from an E8500...I've seen people get 4.6Ghz on an E8500. I may just have a bad one.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Bonzai: that's what I'm thinking right now. I think this is just a bad OC chip. Although 4.2 GHz is not the extreme limit of what can be expected from an E8500...I've seen people get 4.6Ghz on an E8500. I may just have a bad one.

Somewhere, way, way back in this forum and perhaps among "archives," there is a "post your results here" thread for the Wolfdales. The thread would've been started for the earlier C1 stepping. Many or several of those who posted were trying extra hard, and I wouldn't trust some of the more extreme settings -- especially if they just tested against PRIME95 for a few hours.

I've seen some cases where people used phase-change cooling and achieved 5 Ghz. Other cases with water-cooling or hybrid/TEC coolers where an E8600 wouldn't go over 4.5 Ghz.

But the "skinny on the street" seems to be this: voltage will kill the CPU before heat kills it. That's why Anandtech posted a warning about Wolfdale and Yorkfield cores just burning out when the CPU_VTT or FSB voltage was set above 1.4V. If you were using phase-change cooling, you could keep the temperature below winter-room-ambient -- even lower -- and if you raised the voltage just to get it stable . . . . and if that voltage was way, way over the upper limit of the Intel spec-range, you'll kill the CPU slowly.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, mcrumiller, you should try to convince yourself that, 4 ghz is healthier for your chip, with lower vcore, then 4.2 ghz is at very high vcore. Over 1.5 V is just too much for these Wolfdales and one day your computer might not boot anymore because of that.

mcrumiller

Dec 18, 2008
Yeah, I've been realizing that this is probably what I'll have to do. Running on a 1700 FSB gives me 850 MHz linked mem anyway, so it'll be a tradeoff.

Thanks for the help/input guys, really appreciated.