Question Best CPU integrated graphics: Intel or AMD?

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
I'm trying to decide between a Ryzen 7000 series CPU, and an Intel 13th gen CPU. I won't be able to afford a video card for a while, so integrated graphics will be part of my consideration. Intel CPUs includes their UHD 770 graphics. Not sure what the AMD iGPU is called.

I don't game, but do plan to monkey around with at least some video editing and a bit of 3-D modelling, but not seriously until I get a video card.

Just wondering which CPU has the better iGPU?

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Integrated graphics in AM4 5700G and 5600G is roughly twice as powerful as the one in Intel CPUs. The integrated graphics in normal AM5 CPU is even weaker than those in Intel CPUs.

AM5 CPU with powerful iGPU probably comes later this year.

Also Intel Raptor lake refresh for desktop is rumored to be a laptop part with powerful integrated graphics as well.

If you need a simple computer with usable integrated graphics, you can get a 5700G today. It is also one of the best value for money you can get now.

Last edited:

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
Integrated graphics in AM4 5700G and 5600G is roughly twice as powerful as the one in Intel CPUs. The integrated graphics in normal AM5 CPU is even weaker than those in Intel CPUs.

AM5 CPU with powerful iGPU probably comes later this year.

Also Intel Raptor lake refresh for desktop is rumored to be a laptop part with powerful integrated graphics as well.

If you need a simple computer with usable integrated graphics, you can get a 5700G today. It is also one of the best value for money you can get now.
Not really what he asked though is it?

7000 and 13th gen iGPUs are both garbage.

"the RDNA 2 iGPU featured on the AMD Ryzen 7000 CPUs is slightly slower than the UHD Graphics iGPU featured on Intel's Alder Lake and Raptor Lake CPUs. As told earlier, the purpose of these integrated GPUs is not to be great at games but to offer users display output capabilities and an additional GPU when troubleshooting opportunity arises. "

For video work possibly give the edge to Intel and quicksync. But for proper video work should use CPU encoding anyway.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I think desktop CPU's got shafted when it comes to iGPU as the Iris XE on the laptop side of Intel does a pretty good job. In the past I would set Chrome to use the dGPU because it had better results. Well, the XE outperforms a 3060 considerably in mondain tasks.

Taking this into consideration and budget the ARC GPU's could be a stop gap when it comes to budget. You can get an A770 16GB for $350 or less. The good thing about the ARC is it's getting tons of attn from Intel to bring the performance up to where people want it to get to with tons of driver work and releases.

There's no reason to pay an arm and a leg for a GPU and those that do just keep the prices high as they think they can keep the prices high as inventory is still trickling out. There's also a fire sale on 3 series GPUs trying to clear our inventory now.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I have to echo Sable here, the Intel iGPU with Quicksync is a more useful solution TODAY than the AMd iGPU in the 7000 series desktop chips. It has better software support by far and will be easier to use. That being said, if you are willing to tinker under the hood a bit and don't really need Quicksync, the iGPU in the 7000 desktop chips can be substantially overclocked to a point where it offers better gaming performance than the intel solution, even with an overclock there. However, gaming on either of them is an exercise in futility for anything that requires anything more than a potato to run it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I think desktop CPU's got shafted when it comes to iGPU as the Iris XE on the laptop side of Intel does a pretty good job. In the past I would set Chrome to use the dGPU because it had better results. Well, the XE outperforms a 3060 considerably in mundane tasks.

Taking this into consideration and budget the ARC GPU's could be a stop gap when it comes to budget. You can get an A770 16GB for $350 or less. The good thing about the ARC is it's getting tons of attn from Intel to bring the performance up to where people want it to get to with tons of driver work and releases.

There's no reason to pay an arm and a leg for a GPU and those that do just keep the prices high as they think they can keep the prices high as inventory is still trickling out.
Fixed that misspelling for you. :beermug: And where is the firesale on the A380? The ASRock is still $140 every time I look on Newegg. If I need to have it shipped from China from Ali or something, no bueno. Ebay is charging more than Newegg for "open box"; stupid disciples of derp. If I can pick one up for $75 or so new or used I'd love to mess with it.

I would not pick a CPU based on the basic iGPU included. Pick the one that favors your workflow, and whatever other CPU metrics are important to you. If money is tight enough that you need to upgrade in stages, I think it is important to choose wisely. /hot take

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I was talking about the rtx3's not the arc being on sale.
I see. Where are those at? :D Certainly not Best Buy, those cards were out of stock before the holidays were over in my region of FL. V. RTX high MSRP, pricing is also hardly a fire sale from what I am seeing. Therefore I am certain many besides myself would like to know where the hot deals are.

Used prices have gotten better since there were so many sold to miners. But ragged out mining cards aren't particularly attractive IMO either. The 3060 I took a chance on was faulty, bad vram from the symptoms.

We are pretty far off the reservation from using iGPU as a stopgap too.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I saw an article on it from somewhere regarding the pricing and clearing inventory. I didn't pay much attn to it though since I have no use for one personally.

No worries. That was propaganda, in this case likely propagated by Best Buy for some viral marketing to increase traffic. Ones of people got those deals /mild hyperbole

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, the site didn't pass my pihole filtering so I didn't get into reading it. Just filed away in the back of my mind for future reference like a bunch of other stuff I see while scrolling through the news app on my phone. On the other hand I'm familiar with the ARC pricing to an extent when it comes to the A770 as it's an upper end offering to compete with NV/AMD on their mid tier at a lower price w/o the inflation from mining. $350 for a 16GB card seems like a deal in comparison if you can live with not playing older titles for the time being while they build the driver up to allow it in the future with some API changes to get older games working.

I still stand behind the Intel UHD being miserable compared to the Iris XE though. Since the ARC uses the XE cores I suspect it would perform pretty well in a desktop system. The problem with dGPU options is they have different flavors depending on what you're looking to do with them. There's power limits for some used in a different sense than gaming for routine compute mode but, there's more value sometimes in the gaming version if you can budget for more watts of power being used and more cooling.

iGPU for me is a backup if a dGPU dies. I wouldn't build a system without one and AMD for many years forced the issue by not building a GPU into their CPU which is fine. The first PC I build back in ~2000 was an AMD system and the price difference back then between AMD / Intel was big enough to make up for having to get a GPU. These days though AMD is the higher priced option but, you get get some perks that are niche with them you won't get with Intel.

For ease of use and this thread Intel would be the easier choice but, adding a dGPU even not a top end one would still be advised to get more out of the system while saving up for a top tier GPU at a later date. Otherwise spec'ing out the system just to get by for awhile and saving up for a full blown build might make more sense. The other option would be going with a barebones laptop and adding drive+ram to it keeps the costs down and gives some options even with the new RPL CPU there are still moderately priced models to be had.

I picked up a 12700H/3060 last year rom them for $1300 shipped and If I were doing it again this year for $1390 I could get the bump to 13900HX / 4060. Slight bump in cores from 6/8 to 8/16 and M2 upgrade from Gen4/3 to Gen4/4 slots . GPU from 3060 to 4060.

The difference isn't enough to make me jump at the option of upgrading as the current machine runs well and I don't feel like hunting down a 4K120 panel again thought he prices came down on them since last year. Still not much out there for mLED panels though lasts time I checked.

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
Thanks. I didn't realize that APUs had better graphics than the iGPUs within the CPUs.

If the iGPUs are garbage, I think I might get a cheaper CPU then, and use the savings on a lower mid-range dGPU. Then upgrade the CPU (instead of the GPU) later.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Thanks. I didn't realize that APUs had better graphics than the iGPUs within the CPUs.

If the iGPUs are garbage, I think I might get a cheaper CPU then, and use the savings on a lower mid-range dGPU. Then upgrade the CPU (instead of the GPU) later.

There are strong dGPUs hitting $100 shipped again.

Ping me on a 1650 Super I just pulled if you want. It’s strong enough to be out of reach of all the APUs as well.

@DAPUNISHER is going chime in to prove me wrong maybe 😂

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I don't game, but do plan to monkey around with at least some video editing and a bit of 3-D modelling, but not seriously until I get a video card.

Gamer - Radeon IGP.
Content Creator - Xe-Lp Graphics as it has better H265 and X265 transcoding and encoding prowess.

However your probably better trying to source a second hand Nvidia A2000, as they are pretty cheap right now due to the miners exodus from GPU mining.

Uhhh no.
CPU prices will not drop, unless its retired or about to approach EOL.
GPU prices are falling as again miners exodus from GPU mining and transitioning to ASIC.
Also:

That is a pretty solid price for a A2000 which is far superior then Iris Xe-Lp and AMD Radeon, at content creation and non gaming applications.
Also does not require any modified drivers to run more then 5 transcode lanes, and does not require a PCI-E power connector.

If you need more power then a A2000, i don't think any amount of frugality will save you, as your looking for a real developer machine, which is entering the doors of what we call "Workstation >=< HEDT < Enterprise" price rachet also goes up multiplicative once you are in the enterprise class.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Man, I would like to replace my ancient Quadro in my work PC and that... is might tempting.

I already replaced my P2200 to that A2000 in my plex rig for transcoding.
Once those all sell out, the A2000 price will go back to MSRP which is probably around 475.

If you do heavy work i also recommend getting a memory shim.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
5700G (Vega 8) is the best socketed iGPU (for now). 680M (RDNA2) is the best mobile.

Both will be old news shortly with the 780M (RDNA3) mobile release.

He's not talking about Gaming.
He's talking in regards to content creation and productivity.

I am amazed at how many people miss this point, in which Ryzen IGP is in no way near form as good as Intel's Xe-LP in terms of Quicksync on Transcoding and Encoding especially in grounds of H265 and H264 encoding.

Unless someone wishes to show me wrong?
AMD has no prowess compared to QuickSync outside of gaming period.

I can't even think of many programs which uses AMD's Radeon for productivity even unless we go into full on developer tools which then you should be using a dedicated videocard period.

However that A2000 i listed above will blow away intel's IGP without breaking a sweat and do a much better job at it too since it supports ray tracing on top if you ever need it.

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
Gamer - Radeon IGP.
Content Creator - Xe-Lp Graphics as it has better H265 and X265 transcoding and encoding prowess.

However your probably better trying to source a second hand Nvidia A2000, as they are pretty cheap right now due to the miners exodus from GPU mining.

Uhhh no.
CPU prices will not drop, unless its retired or about to approach EOL.
GPU prices are falling as again miners exodus from GPU mining and transitioning to ASIC.
Also:

That is a pretty solid price for a A2000 which is far superior then Iris Xe-Lp and AMD Radeon, at content creation and non gaming applications.
Also does not require any modified drivers to run more then 5 transcode lanes, and does not require a PCI-E power connector.

If you need more power then a A2000, i don't think any amount of frugality will save you, as your looking for a real developer machine, which is entering the doors of what we call "Workstation >=< HEDT < Enterprise" price rachet also goes up multiplicative once you are in the enterprise class.

Thanks. I like the fact that A2000 also has the newer GDDR6X VRAM.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
The A2000 is also the (currently) fastest low-profile card you can get as well. If you are upgrading an oem low profile SFF system that has sufficient slot power (some won't supply the full 75 watts), its as good as it gets.

Reactions: Tlh97 and hemedans

Timur Born

Feb 14, 2016
The iGPU of my 13900K reports less than 1 W power usage most of the time and peaks below 2 W when I play a 4K Youtube video on my 2K display. That's quite impressive compared to the idle power of my dGPU (2070S).

How much do AMD iGPUs pull?

Reactions: Tlh97 and Luddite

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
The iGPU of my 13900K reports less than 1 W power usage most of the time and peaks below 2 W when I play a 4K Youtube video on my 2K display. That's quite impressive compared to the idle power of my dGPU (2070S).

How much do AMD iGPUs pull?

Interesting. How much are you able to do with just the iGPU of the 13900K? Can you do any basic video editing?

Timur Born

Feb 14, 2016
Interesting. How much are you able to do with just the iGPU of the 13900K? Can you do any basic video editing?
Unfortunately I don't do video editing, but since the Intel iGPU can be used by Adobe Premiere to offload processing from a dGPU it obviously brings some useful video acceleration.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
But you see this is where he plays on a see saw if he decides on getting a dedicated GPU for productivity.
Intel by itself with no dGPU is a great solution for content creation.

However with a dGPU - AMD Ryzen 7950X + A2000 is game changer.

Of course you can also do Intel 13900K + A2000, but i believe the Ryzen 7950X + A2000 might be a better combo for its price because of its higher thread count.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

Honestly this is the best path, unless you're buying now and planning on the big GPU purchase in a month with the next cheque. The used market has stabilized too, so don't be afraid to buy a lower midrange GPU now and then just resell it later. You can probably pick up something like a 1660S for a bit over US$100 if you're lucky, maybe $125 typical. Buy one now, sell it whenever you're able to afford the GPU you want, and worst case you've had a $20 GPU rental for the time you need.