Best CPU fan control software?

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Whats the best software to control CPU fan speed? Speedfan does not work for CPU fans, I think it has to be plugged into the mobo case fan plug to mess with it.

I was just wondering what everyone else uses.

Mar 10, 2005
speedfan is a pain in the ass to set up, but i'd be surprised if it didn't control the cpu fan header. i just use the bios setting now.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Yeah speedfan doesnt work, I already use that but it wont let me change anything with cpu fan speed.

And ya, I forgot you can change it in bios settings which I just did so...thats fine.

Asus AI Suite Fan Xpert is crap and doesnt hold the settings I changed so that program is useless.

shelaby

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
gah...ive been trying to get speedfan to control my CPU fan for days...finally coming to the realization that it wont alter CPU fans

I'd be interested in what else there is as well. I used to use MBM and havent tried it but will give it a look

EDIT: nvm...seems the creator has abandoned the project =(

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
SpeedFan is the best, you just have to set it up properly. Make sure you configure your PWM modes to software controlled, it's the most common error I see when people first set up SpeedFan:
speedfanb.jpg

Reactions: Adam White

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
ASUS Fan Xpert is useless and the BIOS holds the settings but does not apply them. Fan Xpert also decides to ignore my settings half the time and turn my fan up and down in a rhythmic pattern.

SpeedFan is the best, you just have to set it up properly. Make sure you configure your PWM modes to software controlled, it's the most common error I see when people first set up SpeedFan:

Doesn't give me the option on my ASUS P8Z68-V LE. (Manual, Thermal Cruise, Fan Speed Cruise, Smartfan IV) running the latest SF Beta.

shelaby

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
speedfanb.jpg

THANK YOU!!!

I have a P8Z68V LX as well, set the PWM modes to manual, set up advanced fan control, works like a charm!!

Only weird thing is, my video card fan was detected before the last boot, now nothing, weird.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Doesn't give me the option on my ASUS P8Z68-V LE. (Manual, Thermal Cruise, Fan Speed Cruise, Smartfan IV) running the latest SF Beta.
Is this in SpeedFan or ASUS Fan Xpert?
THANK YOU!!!

I have a P8Z68V LX as well, set the PWM modes to manual, set up advanced fan control, works like a charm!!

Only weird thing is, my video card fan was detected before the last boot, now nothing, weird.
Awesome :). Can't say much on the video card fan though, that's odd. Were you using SpeedFan to control it?

shelaby

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
no i wasnt, but speedfan randomly detects it. This current boot cycle the gpu fan is recognized, however if i restart theres no telling if itll be recognized. Not a big deal though

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Well thanks for the info one the setting the PWM stuff to manual. It looks like this may have been the reason I havnt been able to use speedfan with cpu fan for a long time, even on my E6400.

So yeah, it looks like to control cpu fan, you just have to change those settings to manual.

How do you set up the advanced fan control part?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Is this in SpeedFan or ASUS Fan Xpert?

Sorry, as I was quoting your SpeedFan info I meant SpeedFan. There is no Manual option where you have indicated in your screenshot.

I do not have the Software Controlled option available to me.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks MrK6 great info. I struggled with Speedfan for a couple hours and gave up but now with your info and picture it works great!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Managed to get SpeedFan fan speed control working on my Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 board for the 2 x 4-pin fan headers I have. They are happy controlling my fans.

However I have had zero success in this regard with the 3-pin headers. I know I'm probably out of luck here but has anyone had any experience with this board and/or SpeedFan that can help me jiggle and poke the settings to see if it's possible?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Sorry, as I was quoting your SpeedFan info I meant SpeedFan. There is no Manual option where you have indicated in your screenshot.

I do not have the Software Controlled option available to me.
I wonder if it's named something differently. Try selecting different options and seeing if it allows the control to work.
Thanks MrK6 great info. I struggled with Speedfan for a couple hours and gave up but now with your info and picture it works great!
Glad you got it working :thumbsup:.
Managed to get SpeedFan fan speed control working on my Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 board for the 2 x 4-pin fan headers I have. They are happy controlling my fans.

However I have had zero success in this regard with the 3-pin headers. I know I'm probably out of luck here but has anyone had any experience with this board and/or SpeedFan that can help me jiggle and poke the settings to see if it's possible?
It's been that way on all Gigabyte boards I've used for several years. The 3-pin headers seem to be read-only. I've fooled with them for awhile in SpeedFan and can't get any kind of control to work through it (even on/off).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
It's been that way on all Gigabyte boards I've used for several years. The 3-pin headers seem to be read-only. I've fooled with them for awhile in SpeedFan and can't get any kind of control to work through it (even on/off).

Ah, most unfortunate but not unexpected. I was rather hoping that the 3-pin headers could offer control for the 230mm fan I have on the way.

Looks like another manual control job.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Clearly, the answer to the OP's question is uGuru! It could control every fan header on the MB and it was awesome. Good luck finding a modern board that can use it though. :(

Somebody should have bought that IP and continued with it.

nedialkata

Nov 3, 2012
here is A PROGRAM i8kfangui31, JUST GOOGLE IT OR SOMETHING ELSE AND HERE YOU GO NOW THE PROGRAM i8kfangui31,i8kfangui31D:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I haven't had any problems at all with ASUS' Fan Xpert. I think it reverts any user customized configuration back to the default settings whenever you do a BIOS update, but it doesn't lose the settings. You just need to go back into the software and select 'User' for each of the fans.

deanhatescoffee

Apr 2, 2013
speedfanb.jpg

You, good person, have won the Internet today. Why this selection to Manual isn't part of Speedfan's standard setup is beyond me. I've used Speedfan for years just as a monitor but never as a controller, until now. If I could only figure out how to prevent it from always creeping back up to the maximum set speed...

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I also agree that speedfan is the best. Just make sure you set it up properly and it works like a charm. I like having my CPU temp displayed in the taskbar.

deanhatescoffee

Apr 2, 2013
Now that I know how to properly use SpeedFan, I've played around with the temps a bit and I figured out why the fans would always creep back up to 100% even under practically no load - I had set the Desired temps too low. I have an i7 2600 in a Silverstone GD05B with a Galaxy 560 Ti, etc. This case is small, so there's not a whole lot of air flow. What I figured out is that I really can't get my CPU temps below 38*C, even with all of the fans at 100%, but my Desired temps set in SpeedFan were set to 32*C so the fans were working up to 100% without ever actually getting to that Desired temp. Now I have my Desired temp set to 45*C and not only are the fans running at super low speeds but my temps are still 38-43*C. It would be nice to have a lower ambient temp but I won't complain since it's not overheating and I can't even hear my PC anymore.